Erie Marathon - to run or not to run (Read 142 times)

Anyone out there ever run the Erie Marathon and have any thoughts about whether it's a good BQ race?   I need a last chance for a BQ for 2018 and I'm thinking Erie may be the best choice , but interested to know what others think.   I know it's flat (or at least I've heard) but I also know it can be on the warm side since it's on September 10.  Thanks for any thoughts, including if there are any other good marathon options before Boston registration (Sept. 11).

Hoban-Jay

Flat and not too warm...it's right on the lake.  And scenic...   I'd say without hesitation that you should do it!

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

It's not a good BQ race.  It's a great BQ race

I have BQd there in 2013 and I'm running it again this year.  It's 100% flat - it's basically a sandspit on the lake - and it starts early so it was not actually that warm, at least back then in 2013.  It's mostly protected from the sun and the wind as well, with all the trees.

I would not call it very scenic unless your idea of scenic is lots of trees with occasional glimpse of the lake.  That is never a problem for me.

It's well organized with great homemade pasta dinner the night before, easy bag drop-off, and water stations every mile with enthusiastic cheering at the stations (though not in between).  They do have some odd drink there - GU Brew? - so bring your own hydration if it doesn't suit you.  The only other downside I remember was that half the road was open to traffic so you'd get a whiff of diesel exhaust once in a while from people towing boats, and you'd need to arrive early enough to have time to park.  These are very minor downsides.

The town of Erie is not a major hot spot, though they do have decent craft beer, and hotels are affordable.  I think it's a great last chance for Boston.

Answer the Dubia

Definitely a good BQ race.  I ran last year and qualified with a 9 minute cushion.  I'm running again this year.

Nice flat, shady course.  The temperature is a gamble in early September but I think Erie's history with that is pretty good.  7:00 AM start helps.

Thanks, everyone.  Helpful to hear from folks who've done it.  Temps are always a gamble, particularly that time of year.  Not sure I'd have much certainty ANYWHERE in early September.     Probably gonna pull the trigger... and at least there's good craft beer (thanks Seven Deadly Shins!  You are speaking my language!)

Booyah!

I ran this last year trying to BQ.

Affordable hotels.

Pancake Flat---yes.

Scenic--Not really.

Gu Brew-- Horrible.

Well organized-- Yes.

It was 65 with higher humidity at the start and 70-sunny at the end.

Heat got me & I did not BQ. How did you get through the heat Answer the Dubia?

Went downtown afterwards, there is really nothing to do there but that's not why I went.
              If you have cool temps you should have a great race. Good luck !!

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

65 and humid does not sound good!  If I get a day like that, I'll probably forgo running it, and save up for a 2019 BQ.  The Erie weekend represents my last chance to qualify as a 40-44 yo.  I had a qualifying time (3:12:59) in 2016, but then missed the cutoff in September by 8 seconds!  Really want to hit my goal of Boston before 45 (arbitrary I know, but...) . So, I guess I'll give Erie  a shot hoping for decent weather... and if the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll just have to enjoy the 10 extra minutes for qualifying that I'll get as a 45 yo!

Answer the Dubia

It was warm last year but... 1) It was a very hot summer in 2016.  The training was brutal, but got me in good shape.  65 degrees at the start was bearable after that. The day before the race was in the 80s and a "cold front" came through. and 2) I carried a gatorade bottle and kept filling it and dinking a little every 1/2 or 3/4 mile.  I always carry a bottle but at Erie I focused on drinking more than usual.

Hoban-Jay

Thanks, everyone.  Helpful to hear from folks who've done it.  Temps are always a gamble, particularly that time of year.  Not sure I'd have much certainty ANYWHERE in early September.     Probably gonna pull the trigger... and at least there's good craft beer (thanks Seven Deadly Shins!  You are speaking my language!)

Thanks for bringing it my attention...I'm leaning towards...or at least considering running it, now.  Great, flat course, incredbily scenic...right on the lake...not too warm at all...what more can you ask for in a marathon!  I did not know about the brewery, so that's an added plus too!, now

rlopez

I may come as well.

party party party

Here's some info. I found on Erie race day conditions:

Mean Temp.: 63 degrees F (17 C)

Average High: 71 degrees F (21 C)

Average Low: 55 degrees (12 C)

2016 race day high/low: 75 / 66, start time temp 67 and 73% humidity

2015 race day high/low: 65 / 58, start time temp 58 and 72% humidity

2014 race day high/low: 61 / 52, start time temp 53 and 74% humidity

2013 race day high/low: 69 / 49, start time temp 52 and 74% humidity

2012 race day high/low: 72 / 50, start time temp 50 and 83% humidity

2011 race day high/low: 80 / 50, start time temp 50 and 80% humidity

2010 race day high/low: 68/ 57, start time temp 63 and 82% humidity

Hmmm.   Hopefully we are due for a cooler one this year.  Those humidity %s are scary looking, but I understand humidity is a pretty useless term for running performance and comfort.  Dew point is what really matters and I don't have that data.

This is a fantastic race!!!  Easy to get to things, great course in the shade if I remember correctly plus it is flat and fast.  Very reasonably priced as well.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Thanks everyone again.  I ended up running Erie a couple of weeks ago, and your collective advice was great.  The course was really ideal for a fast time.  Luckily, the weather was absolutely perfect this year too.   I did BQ, although sadly, for the second year in a row, it's not gonna be by enough to beat the cutoff (whatever that ends up being).   On the bright side, I get 10 more minutes when I try to qualify for Boston 2019.  Best thing about getting older!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations TRD on your BQ!  Hope Boston relents and lets you in.  If not, 2019 is yours!