Best HM workouts (Read 282 times)

Tiefsa

Do a long run every week!  That's what I didn't do and I blew up on my first attempt.

xhristopher

Do a long run every week!  That's what I didn't do and I blew up on my first attempt.

I've blown up on a 5K.

+1.  Me too.

I've blown up on a 5K.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Right on Hereford...

Well, his 10k is also better than his 5k... Seems to me he hit it 'square' in that 10k. Every kind of training has its relative merits.

He's got recovery runs. And he is good about taking days off.

I guess I'd recommend it for a guy like Cecil. He's light (133 lbs), quick to recover, seems to be running fine, relatively injury free and maybe most importantly he's enjoying what he's doing and he believes in it.

Cecil can do whatever he wants, and more power to him, of course. He's way faster than the vast majority of guys his age.

If I were him, I would just be wondering why the hell I can't race any faster than I train.

Why is it sideways?

If I were him, I would just be wondering why the hell I can't race any faster than I train.

Not really, because you would intentionally be doing a lot of your running closer to race paces and intensities.

Walk-Jogger

Cecil can do whatever he wants, and more power to him, of course. He's way faster than the vast majority of guys his age.

Nothing to wonder about; I've always raced faster than I train at a given distance, assuming similar course elevations and weather/wind patterns. Look at my most recent training prior to any race. My recent 5k race was 18:50, while my fastest recent 5K time trial just before that was 19:26. My recent mile race was 5:28, while I haven' t run a 1600 meters in training this year faster than 5:50. My 1600 PR of 5:25 was a time trial, but from 2 and a half years ago, in August when I was in top shape, and I ran that time trial because I was in shape and ready, but there were no mile races to be had at that time in this area. My half marathon PR from 2011 was 1:26:00, while my fastest recent HM time trial prior to that race was 1:28:48, nearly 3 minutes slower.

Retired &  Loving It

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Very entertaining thread.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???