Shin Splints (Read 126 times)

robertaajr

What can I do to treat shin splints? I am training for an ultra marathon and I can feel shin splints coming on. My calves are also really sore. All this is after runs for the most part, otherwise my legs usually feel fine. Is this normal? I can't really afford to do less mileage. My logs and training plan isn't very accurate.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Shin splints come about because your body isn't dealing with the stress of the running you are doing. Possibly your body will catch up soon and it'll go away, or maybe it'll just get worse and you'll have to stop running altogether for a while to let your body recover. I have no idea what you can afford to do, but that's the mental you talking. The physical you could probably do with some downtime.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I can't really afford to do less mileage.

Yeah, your body has a way of forcing the issue anyway.

I've had success massage-attacking my calves, which solved the shin splint issue.  Do NOT massage (or in my case foam-roll) the shin-splint directly -- made this mistake and aggro-ed it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How about different shoes?

kilkee

runktrun

Do something different in your training.  This sounds obvious, and kind of vague, but something that you are doing consistently in your training is consistently aggravating your shins.  New shoes could help (talk to someone at a running store, if you haven't already), or running on a different surface.  I often find aches that build up from road miles are alleviated by throwing in some technical trail runs.  Check you running logs to see if the increased pain correlates to a change in your training.  Did you suddenly stop doing yoga?  Or increased your mileage too quickly?

Massaging your calf will definitely help, but yes, stay away from rolling directly over the sore spots.  Roll or massage the rest of your legs, while you're at it, since pain in one spot is often caused by an imbalance elsewhere.  Try icing the sore area after runs, too.  Freeze water in a small paper cup and tear part of the cup away and massage the ice directly on your shin.  Might help, but it at least won't hurt.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Yeah, your body has a way of forcing the issue anyway.

I've had success massage-attacking my calves, which solved the shin splint issue.  Do NOT massage (or in my case foam-roll) the shin-splint directly -- made this mistake and aggro-ed it.

Yep. I used to deal with ongoing shin splints (don't ignore them--I ended up with a stress fracture). I started using The Stick on my calves, and strengthening my shins by walking around on my heels whenever I thought about it during the day. I haven't had them since.

Gator eye

One of the hardest lesson to learn while training for a ultra is the importance of rest days and when to take those rest days.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Take some time off and strengthen your shins and calves:

- Walk 30 sec on your toes, 30 sec on your heels. Repeat 5-10 times.  Increase to 60 seconds if too easy.

- Tap your toes while seated, like playing bass drum pedal.  You can do this anytime while working at your desk.

rmcj001

Shin splints can be caused by a several different things.  Tendons, muscles or bones.  The first two you can work through, the last one not so much.  When I was having problems the orthopedist told me "if it feels better as you run, most likely a soft tissue injury. If it gets worse as you run, probably the bone."  She went on to say, if it is soft tissue you can continue to train as long as it doesn't get worse.  If it was a bone injury, you'll need to take time off and then slowly work back.  If you're honest with yourself, the "if it doesn't get worse" can be used for most injuries...

Ray

robertaajr

I went and bought new shoes yesterday (Mizuno Wave Runner 18's) and the guy in there told me, the shoes I was wearing were the culprit for my shin splints. So hopefully they start to feel better. I really lowered my mileage this week a lot. I guess the shoes I was wearing weren't even made for running at all. I bought them prior to running and that's what I was using, didn't think about it much.

ledfortr

Robert, I assume you mean Wave Rider, I just picked up my fifth pair a few weeks ago.  They are an excellent shoe!

A couple other things that you could try.

1. Very slow warmup, 15 minutes of warmup, try about 12 minute mile pace.  I wasn't warming up properly and once I straightened that out, I was in a much better position.

2. ABC's Shin Stretches - I had shin splints 8 years ago when I started running.  It was recommended to me to swing both legs up over the arm of a couch while I lay on my back on the couch and spell out the alphabet with my big toe moving only my feet.  It works VERY well.  This helps stretch and gets the blood flowing to your shins.

3. Heel Insert or custom orthotics: I don't know if this will help, but orthotics (with more cushion) could help along with a heel insert.  You are going the right direction by getting some new shoes, maybe hold off on this recommendation if your progress isn't as quick as you like.  Heel inserts helped me with an issue of achilles tendinitis. It reduced the impact and changed the angle that I come down on my leg.  These are different injuries so I don't know if this will help.  Heel inserts are very cheap and you can get them at CVS for about $8.  It's worth a test.

4. Change stride: Reducing impact loading should be a priority for anyone with shin problems.  Increasing your stride frequency by about 10% (bringing it close to 180 steps per minute or more) will markedly decrease the impact your tibia has to absorb each time your foot strikes the ground.

5. Find a good holistic doctor that is skilled in body talk. I know, I know.  This sounds a little goofy.  I am an analytic guy and I need data, it was recommended to me to go to a holistic doctor for a body talk session and when I finally finished laughing, I setup an appointment and went.  I will never know exactly what fixed my injury, I changed too many variables at the same time to know for sure, but what I do know is the holistic doctor helped.  He found that I had low B2 and potassium and got me started on some vitamins.  I am happy to report I am breaking personal records and just kicking butt.

I hope you find this useful!

Good luck,

Tom