Question about running shoe buying courtesy. (Read 1217 times)

Tortoise

The shoes that I've been doing C25K in are... well, old. I want to get myself a new pair of running shoes before I get to the longer runs in the program and put myself at real risk of injury by using inappropriate shoes. I plan to go to the independent running store in my city. It's a family business, it comes with good recommendations, etc etc. There are significant discounts for buying from their online shop, but since this is going to be my first pair of proper running shoes, I don't want to dive right in and buy a pair without trying them first, which obviously involves going to the actual shop. So, this is my question: Would it be rude of me to go to the store and be fitted for shoes, and then buy those shoes from their online shop? I wouldn't take up someone's time and then go buy shoes from somewhere else, online or otherwise, because I think that *is* rude, but in this case they'd still be getting my money, I'm just not handing the cash over right there in the shop. I guess I just want to know if that's appropriate behaviour or not, and I apologise in advance if it's a really dumb question.
    "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Lazy idiot

Interesting twist on a typical question. Big grin I'd explain to them in the store your conundrum, and ask if they would honor the online pricing. If not, they are getting your money anyway, so I would probably do it. Good luck.

Tick tock

JakeKnight

Can't imagine they'd care one way or another, if you're ultimately giving your money to them. And for what its worth, its not rude at all. A lot of folks here use specialty stores or local stores to find a model they like ... and then purchase more online at a discount (of course, they're usually nice enough to at least buy the first pair from the store). Just tell them what you're thinking. Their reaction is probably a great way to know if you're in a good store or not. All the good places I've tried are more than happy to be flexible, to let you try on as many pairs as you want, to take them for jogs around the block, etc. If anyplace had a problem with any of that, or with your request or anything like it, I'd just take it as a sign to shop elsewhere. They're runners, just like you. They'll understand. If they don't understand, find somebody who does.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Tortoise

And for what its worth, its not rude at all. A lot of folks here use specialty stores or local stores to find a model they like ... and then purchase more online at a discount (of course, they're usually nice enough to at least buy the first pair from the store).
          It was because it's the first pair that I was thinking that. I'm definitely not saying that I would always purchase from the same place in the future, if I were able to find a cheaper option. I'm a student. It goes against my code of being-able-to-eat to shell out more than I have to. Wink Thanks for the advice, I'll go in and explain the situation to them. DrewEOB - I know they won't honour the online price in-store, they state that very clearly on their website, but I guess that's something I can point out to them if they have an issue with it.
          "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Lazy idiot

I know they won't honour the online price in-store, they state that very clearly on their website, but I guess that's something I can point out to them if they have an issue with it.
            Gotcha. I hope you find something that fits. Smile

Tick tock

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It depends what you are comfortable with. For myself, I would buy them instore that first time; their instore staff are spending a chunk of time to help ensure the proper fit and the proper shoe. Then next time, I would go online.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Generally speaking, my advice is to keep the money local, but since you are doing that either way I think that it is perfectly reasonable to order the shoes online from their store. Just make sure that you take into account shipping expenses to make sure that you are actually saving enough money to be worth not having the shoes right away, though.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It depends what you are comfortable with. For myself, I would buy them instore that first time; their instore staff are spending a chunk of time to help ensure the proper fit and the proper shoe. Then next time, I would go online.
                  My thoughts exactly...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

protoplasm72

Generally speaking, my advice is to keep the money local, but since you are doing that either way I think that it is perfectly reasonable to order the shoes online from their store. Just make sure that you take into account shipping expenses to make sure that you are actually saving enough money to be worth not having the shoes right away, though.
                    Yeah also since the store is probably in the same state as you, you still have to pay sales tax if you buy online. So really shipping is in addition to that. Plus ask about the return policy if you buy online versus in the store.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I'm in the camp that you should spend the money at the store. Not sure if they get commissions, but they definitely track employee sales. Also, I don't want good running stores to go the way of independent coffee and book stores.
                        Hmm. Interesting that they won't match their "own" prices. You have to be guided by your finances, ultimately, but you have to think of the value of getting fitted/expertise at the brick and mortar. And really, how much would you be saving on getting it online vs. store? A few quid/euros/pounds (or whatever it is you Scots are using?) Then there is the issue of keeping money "local" and karma/pay it forward and all that. And then this: you are going to be a doc. Relatively speaking, I can't imagine that's going to be a poverty profession. Maybe you can get them to toss in a pair of socks? Maybe they have a buying club that will ultimately meet/beat the online shop.
                          back when I was a boot fitter for a large outdoor supply store (chain ) had this a lot . Not on a commision so who cared ,got paid by the hour .Good coustomer service = a return to the store for another sale . But thing to watch out for ,there is some variations in all manufactured goods ,esspicialy shoes ! stiching ,seams ,material stiffness can all be slightly different ,if I have a good fitting shoe in the store I'm buying that one !
                            IMO you should buy from the store. They are spending their time and manpower on you, which is why they charge higher prices in-store than online. Not only that, but typically the return policy for in-store purchases is better, which is very important when you are buying a new model of shoe. For example, my local running shop lets you return shoes up to 30 days, even if you have run in them.

Tortoise

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice. I've ended up with the Saucony Progid Omni 6. I did buy from the actual physical shop. They don't sell these shoes online and they were on sale in store, but once I was in there I think I would have done anyway. Their staff all seemed so lovely and eager to help me get a good shoe and thrilled to hear that I was doing C25K (and more than a little bit horrified when I mentioned that I'd been running in ten-year-old adidas Sambas). I'm really happy with these. It's kind of weird to have actual support and cushioning but they feel great on my feet.

A Saucy Wench

This is kind of my feeling. The reason they charge more in-store is for the service. I always buy at the store I try that day. After that if I buy 4 more pairs online that is my business, but I think it is kind of nice to pay them for allowing me to take up so much time, try so many pairs etc. I find that service of value, therefore I pay for that service. Of course I do know I get good service. One time they talked me in to going up a 1/2 size because "my feet would swell during long runs". Mine dont, or if they do, not that much. After slipping and sliding around in my too big shoes for a few weeks I took them back and they refunded them 100% (store credit) despite the fact that they were slightly stained because it was ornamental plum season and all the roads were covered with squishy purple plums.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7