Altimeter is shot on my 920XT. AGAIN. (Read 51 times)

delicate flower

This is the second 920XT I am on where the altimeter has stopped working.  Like, it was working fine, and then it wasn't.  When I look at my current elevation, it says 65000'.  I live at sea level (well, 200' above or so).  When I look at my activity data, elevation gain says zero and it's a straight line.  Is this just a problem with the 920XT, or do people with other devices experience the same malfunction?  My first 920XT experienced this problem after 18 months so I got a new one, and my new one experienced the same problem after 18 months.  Fortunately I bought an Amazon extended warranty on the second one since Garmin is useless in helping if the device is out of warranty, you know, other than the usual having me reset the device and make sure the firmware is up to date.

I'd ask why I keep buying Garmins when every.single.one.I have owned has had problems (405, 410, 610, 620, 920, 920), but I won't go down that rabbit hole.  

<3

delicate flower

Also, I know I can correct the elevation in Garmin Connect and on Strava, but I like to know current elevation and elevation gain when I am using the device.

<3

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

The only wrist altimeter I’ve used looked like this about twenty years ago.  Thankfully I never had a problem with it.

Having kids led me to stop needing it (skydiving) and I am neither that good a runner or into analytics to need an altimeter when I run.

But if I ever start jumping again, I’ll avoid using a Garmin altimeter. 

Altimeter

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, I know I can correct the elevation in Garmin Connect and on Strava, but I like to know current elevation and elevation gain when I am using the device.

How do you correct the elevation in Garmin Connect/Strava?  I'd love to be able to do that.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

delicate flower

How do you correct the elevation in Garmin Connect/Strava?  I'd love to be able to do that.

In Strava, on your activity, there is a hyperlink next to your elevation gain.  Click it and choose "Correct Elevation."  Then refresh the page.

In Garmin Connect, on your activity, to the right of the screen is a picture of your device with "Elev Corrections" under it.  Select "Enabled."  The page will automatically refresh.

<3