Run a HM Race During Training for 1st Full Marathon? (Read 543 times)

I'm currently training for my first full marathon. I'm using Higdon's novice plan which includes a stepback week every third week. Next week will be a stepback week where the long run is supposed to be 10 miles (sandwiched in between this weekends 13 mile long run and the next weekend's 15 miler). There is a local Half Marathon race that weekend. I'd like to run the HM to see how my current fitness level compares with the previous HM races I ran, but I don't want to jeopardize training for the full marathon. I've run 3 HMs before, however, for each of those I've used a 6 week training plan with fewer miles per week than I'm running right now (I'm entering week 8 of the marathon training plan so at the time of this race I'll be 9 weeks into the plan), so I'd likely set a HM PR and have a better idea of what my finishing full marathon time would be. Should I run the HM race? Or should I just follow the program and do the 10 miles at an easier pace to ensure I'm better rested for the big ramp up in mileage?
    Scout7

Run the half.
        Run the half.

SMART Approach

Run it. Do a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cooldown and you have 15 miles a week earlier than planned. Run 10 the following week if you wish.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hi, During the preparation phase for my first full marathon (June), I plan to race 1 x 10 km, 1 x 15 km, 1 x 10 miles & 1 x HM, and plan to have lots of fun Big grin

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nothing new to add here, just support of the previous posters. Run the half. It'll be nice to break things up and add some hard effort running. Plus it'll give you a good idea where your current fitness level stands.
              runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Run the half it is a good test for you and your training. I did it and had no problems.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I'm going to check the weather report and sign up last minute, but I hope to run the HM. I hopefully I'll have a good race report as well Smile
                    Run the half, but warm-up at least 2 miles. One is not enough.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I just went to sign up for the race and DOH! the following note was on the page: "REGISTRATION IS CLOSED AS FIELD LIMIT HAS BEEN REACHED" GRRRRRRRRR.... I guess the marathon training gods are trying to tell me to respect the stepback long run. Oh well...