2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

Turbolegs

2012 is winding down now and the New Year is just around the corner. What better time to plan for all the exciting races next year??

The purpose of this thread is to unite us in our shared goals, experience the journey towards the 4hr mark together, and share knowledge and insights that could prove to be the extra edge that some us would need to get over this barrier. Of course, there are quite a few who have done it before and want to do it again, and this thread is the place to relive past glories as well.

A quick background on me - I am 33, based in Singapore, and started running about 4 years ago but have always been scratchy and erratic in my training. I managed to run the Tokyo Marathon in 2012 in 3:56 but that was a quite a bit of luck as i wasnt gunning for sub-4 in that marathon. I hope to redo the same feat in the Tokyo Marathon 2013 to make sure that 2012 was not a fluke.

This is the place to integrate into RA's amazing community. You will find a lot of old hands piping in on questions here - in fact, quite a few of the experienced sub 3 marathoners take active interest in giving their 2 cents on how we (on other goal threads) can achieve our pursuits, and its a non-stop learning experience out here.

As a request, when you do sign in on the thread, please do try and give a quick background on yourself and what your plan is for next year. Unless explicitly stated, your goal time is assumed to be sub 4:00 hours. Usual format for goal races is to provide marathon name, date, web URL if possible, location and goal time.

I am looking forward to an exciting 2013 ahead and i hope its a great year for all of us !!

MTA: The 2012 thread for this bunch of people can be found here.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

The Chasers of the Sub 4 finish

Turbolegs: Tokyo Marathon (Tokyo, Japan): Feb 24: 4:13:01

Tejas Runner: Cowtown Marathon (TX, US): Feb 24 : 3:59:00 ←

Vegefrog: New Orleans Rock and Roll Marathon (LA, US): Feb 24: <3:45: DNS

theyapper66: Columbia SC Marathon (SC, US): Mar 9: 5:07:50

ImnotScott: Rock and Roll Marathon (DC, US): Mar 16: 3:54:54

Runlikeagirl: Shamrock Marathon (VA, US): Mar 17: 3:58:37

RidgerunR: Shamrock Marathon (VA, US): Mar 17: 3:57:09

Venomized: Northwest of Crossroads Marathon (IN, US): Apr 14

James_H: Country Music Marathon (TN, US): Apr 27: <3:40: 3:40:23 ←

nPaden: Flying Pig Marathon (OH, US): May 5: <3:50: 3:48:09

Pae: Flying Pig Marathon (OH, US): May 5: 4:29:28

LedLincoln: Lincoln Marathon (NE, US): May 5: <3:55: 3:43:41

Two-foot-shuffle: New Jersey Marathon (NJ, US): May 5

Philipfromga: Colfax Marathon (CO, US): May 19: <3:55

Rick D: Vermont City Marathon (VT, US): May 26: <3:50: 3:53:25 ←

JayOH: Vermont City Marathon (VT, US): May 26: 4:02:35

Wolfwalker23: Solo Attempt (   , US): June 2: 3:52:10

Jamie: Bay of Fundy Marathon (ME, US): June 23

Gymmom411: Santa Rosa Marathon (CA, US): Aug 25

Arlahile: Santa Rosa Marathon (CA, US): Aug 25

Turbolegs: Berlin Marathon (Berlin, Germany): Sep 29: <3:45

UncleJoe: Wineglass Marathon (NY, US): Oct 6

az2mntrail: Bemidji Blue Ox Marathon (MN, US): Oct 12

Vegefrog: Chicago Marathon (IL, US): Oct 13: <3:30

Christirei: Columbus Marathon (OH, US): Oct 13

ckerr1999: Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon (Canada): Oct 13

Philipfromga: Rock and Roll Denver Marathon (CO, US): Oct 20

pcaharrier: Norfolk Freedom Marathon (VA, US): Nov 10

Dreamn: Richmond Marathon (VA, US): Nov 16

theyapper66: Charlotte Thunder Road Marathon (NC, US): Nov 16

JML: Philadelphia Marathon (PA, US): Nov 24

To be confirmed:

meaghansketch : XXXX (a fall marathon)

az2mntrail: XXXX (May/June)

Wolfwalker23: XXXX (a fall marathon)

Sub 4:00 Graduates

ImnotScott: Rock and Roll Marathon (DC, US): Mar 16: 3:54:54

RidgerunR: Shamrock Marathon (VA, US): Mar 17: 3:57:09

Runlikeagirl: Shamrock Marathon (VA, US): Mar 17: 3:58:37

Tejas Runner: Cowtown Marathon (TX, US): Feb 24 : 3:59:00

James_H: Country Music Marathon (TN, US): Apr 27: <3:40: 3:40:23

LedLincoln: Lincoln Marathon (NE, US): May 5: <3:55: 3:43:41

nPaden: Flying Pig Marathon (OH, US): May 5: <3:50: 3:48:09

Rick D: Vermont City Marathon (VT, US): May 26: <3:50: 3:53:25

Wolfwalker23: Solo Attempt (   , US): June 2: 3:52:10

Turbolegs

Next up at the Start line

Jamie: Bay of Fundy Marathon (ME, US): June 23

Turbolegs

Race reports

Turbolegs

<Dummy reply: Am wondering if it would be a good idea to house all the race pictures people send him, starting from the first page>

runlikeagirI

I'm running Shamrock in March with a goal of sub-4 and also plan on running a fall 2013 marathon (not sure which one at this time) with a goal that I dare not speak here yet .  Shocked  I went from 5:45 virtually crawling to the finish in my first marathon 4 years ago to 4:25 easy in my second about 2 months ago.  I've been running on and off for 10 years but this year was the first time I didn't half-ass training.  I obliterated my old PRs in every distance from 5k to 26.2. Really excited to see what 2013 brings!

Wing

Joggaholic

I'll probably run one somewhere sometime in 2013, I'm committed to being non-committal. I seriously need to get a little more serious about my training...
                npaden

I will be running my first marathon late this spring, the Flying Pig in Cincinnati on May 5, 2013. My "A" goal is 3:50, but I would be very happy with anything under 4 hours and anything will be a PR for me. Been somewhat seriously running for a year and a half or so now. Averaging between 35 and 40 mpw right now, going to try to ramp that up closer to 60 mpw when I'm at the peek of my training plan. Using the Hansons beginner/intermediate plan.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Turbolegs

I'll probably run one somewhere sometime in 2013, I'm committed to being non-committal. I seriously need to get a little more serious about my training...

I am with you on this one ... my training (or lack thereof) has been quite abysmal in the last few months .. just a very bad combination of lethargy (biggest reason) + new baby (now 7 months old) + work-related travel + bad dietary choices (4kg overweight). I had registered for the Osaka marathon a very long time ago and was hoping to build from my Tokyo sub 4 finish earlier this year, and target something around 3:45-3:50. Given the absolute lack of training, i completed the marathon walk in 5:52 ! So apart from being disgusted about having let go a fair bit, it also served as a strong reminder that reasonably simple disciplined training can go a long way in race day performances.

I have signed up for 3 big races next year - Tokyo Marathon in Feb, the Comrades ultra in June, and the Berlin Marathon in Sep. If i can hold it together from a training perspective, i am sure i will enjoy all the races. Smile And enjoy the running even more if you catch my drift ...

My 2c - make a training plan. It changes a lot of things for me when i have one than when i dont. Especially since i dont have a coach or a running partner.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Signed up moments ago for the Lincoln (Nebraska) Marathon, May 5.  I have done it three times before, once sub-4:00.  I'm hoping for better than 3:55, a BQ!

vegefrog

Well...after running Kiawah today in 3:51 and feeling pretty good while doing it...I'm gonna set a goal of 3:45 for New Orleans RnR Feb 24th.

I need a 3:40 to BQ for 2014... I will see how my training goes, but with only 10 weeks between now and NOLA...not sure if I can drop 11 minutes? Maybe? If not I'll do it for sure in Chicago in October.

This was my 2nd marathon. My first was Myrtle Beach in feb 2012, but I ran that with my sister and we ran slowly and just to finish. We did that in 5:30 and we were laughing and talking the way. It was her idea. I had run off and on before that, never more then a 10K. Was a swimmer in HS and college so always athletic. I am a cancer survivor and this December is 5 years from my original diagnoses, so this marathon today was pretty special.

I grew up with an Opa who is a marathoner though, his whole living room is trophies and plaques and I can only drool over his race shirt collection and paper jackets, LOL. He is paying my way when I BQ...so that is motivating!!!! Smile

So my goals are: 3:45 @ RnR NOLA  Feb 24th and 3:30 @ Chicago Marathon October 13th

I also have a 50K on trails in May, but that's just a little thing in the middle to take my mind of off marathons for a bit! I'm gonna take that easy and enjoy the waterfalls!

I'm running New Jersey Marathon on May 5th.  Aiming for sub-4 after 4:13:04 at my first in Philadelphia in November. My 18 week program will start December 30th, using Pfitz 18/55. Thanks to add me to the list.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Wing

Joggaholic

Congratz vegefrog!
                            sramaley

Hello everyone.  Wanted to see if you all wanted to merge groups. We moved our sub 4 group from runners world to here because of all the issues at Runners World.  We set it up so that we can have monthly chat threads, race schedule thread, and RR threads. Please come over and join.

Seth

Turbolegs

I'm running New Jersey Marathon on May 5th.  Aiming for sub-4 after 4:13:04 at my first in Philadelphia in November. My 18 week program will start December 30th, using Pfitz 18/55. Thanks to add me to the list.

You are in !!! May 5th is turning out to be a party ....