2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

5 days to go and taper madness is killing me...

Summary of my taper so far:

My runner's nose turned into a cold right at the start of taper, however it seems to be dissipating with the reduced mileage.

Got a mean case of poison ivy on my forearm while performing lawn duties, it really blew up late last week but thankfully is mostly dried out now.

Got bit by my first tick (also while performing lawn duties) and have been worrying about possible diseases ever since.

I think I'm going to live in a bubble for these next few days. Big grin

Anywoo, thanks for letting me vent a little and good luck to the other runners heading to Burlington, VT this weekend.  It's still early but right now the weather sounds great (low humidity, start low to mid 40s, afternoon high in low to mid 60s) hopefully we get multiple sub 4's.

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

AZ2MN - good luck on your sub 4:00 goal. I like this as a goal. 4:10, you are really close to hitting this.

Hi ALL, doing my first FM this MAY. Not 100% trained, but really hoping to hit sub 5:00 on my first. For sub 4, I'll set the date for this goal, in 2014. Dont have time to fit in another FM this year, but I have time to train.

Congrats on all who completed their sub 4:00 FM!

Jeff, I think your goal-setting is wise.  I am a case in point that it is possible to go from a 5:00 marathon to a < 4:00 marathon in a year.  See you here in the winners' circle next year!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

5 days to go and taper madness is killing me...

Summary of my taper so far:

My runner's nose turned into a cold right at the start of taper, however it seems to be dissipating with the reduced mileage.

Got a mean case of poison ivy on my forearm while performing lawn duties, it really blew up late last week but thankfully is mostly dried out now.

Got bit by my first tick (also while performing lawn duties) and have been worrying about possible diseases ever since.

I think I'm going to live in a bubble for these next few days. Big grin

Anywoo, thanks for letting me vent a little and good luck to the other runners heading to Burlington, VT this weekend.  It's still early but right now the weather sounds great (low humidity, start low to mid 40s, afternoon high in low to mid 60s) hopefully we get multiple sub 4's.

Jay, you have my complete sympathy - I HATED my most recent taper, and perfectly understand how someone can obsess over sniffles, bug bites, impending weather, etc.  Nothing turned out to be a problem in my case; hope that's true for you as well. Smile

Turbolegs

Philipfromga, Rick, Jay .... how did your races turn out? Give us the inside scoop ... Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Well, despite the wind, rain, cold (temps never got above 47), and my head cold (sore throat on Wed, full blown sinus issues on Fri) I did manage to PR...

Unfortunately, my chip time was "only" 4:02:23.  So close.  I had many things going against me that day so I am still quite proud of my effort and I can't wait to try again in the fall.

Here's a tip for anyone thinking of still racing with a head cold, drop your pace a bit (seems pretty obvious, right?).  I went into the race and followed my more aggressive pacing plan and it clearly caught up with me in the second half.  I felt progressively worse from mile 16 on to the point where I got very light headed after 20 and had to cut back.

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

JayOH, congrats on a solid run in the face of some real challenges!  Sorry you didn't cross that imaginary sub-4 line, but that's definitely in your future.

Rick D.

It ain't pretty!

I ran the Vermont City Marathon on 5/26.  It was a cool and wet 42 degrees at race time with wind gusts up to 30 mph.  Luckily, the rain was light and the way the course twists and turns through the city of Burlington, the wind was only a factor along 3 stretches of the course.  Despite the weather, a good crowd turned out to help cheer on the marathoners and relay runners.  My training partner and I used Hansons Marathon Method training plan.  This plan had us running more weekly mileage and many more mid-week miles than the Higdon plan we have used in the past.  And our long runs topped off at 16 miles.  The theory being that by running a lot of miles during the week the long run on Sunday feels like the last miles of a marathon rather than the first miles.

It worked!   I never once struggled in this race and even had a strong finish.  This is my third marathon but it is the first one where I didn't have to take any walking breaks.  The goal was to run a sub 4 hour race but I was training for a 3:50 race.  While I didn't hit 3:50, my net time was 3:53:25.  That is a solid 30 minutes better than my time for the same race last year! 

Now its on to train for the Marine Corps Marathon in October!  I will be using the Hansons plan again but will try to decrease the pace of the interval and tempo workouts.  Who knows, maybe I'm capable of cutting off another 1/2 hour and gettin a BQ. Wink

Running for my life!

Turbolegs

Jay ... very nearly there... well done on your race and wish you well  for your next one which i am sure you are planning already !

Rick .. Congratz on crushing sub 4 !

ok guys, I finished today's marathon "Solo O Marathon" in 3hours 52minutes 10 seconds. !! woohoo  RR and short video link below

Video = My 2nd Marathon 6-2-13  or link = http://youtu.be/A-5zTDOiCw8

RR :

Quick background : I ran this same course in December 2012 which was my first marathon. It is called Operation Jack.  5 months later
                    I wanted to try it again as last time I missed my time goal by a lot. This time was my "revenge" so to speak heheh.
                    Morning : Woke up at 3:30am let the dog out
                              woke up at 4:30am to let the dog out again ?? wtf
                              at 4:31am in the dark I step into a pile of dog crap on the floor. (barefooted) ugh...
                              Surprisingly I didn't step hard and didn't even get on my foot whew!!!
                        Anyways, I made 4 pieces of cinnamon toast for breakfast and drank a good fill of water. I was on the road at 6:15am and the
                    drive is over an hour. Got to the beach and the weather was pretty nice 68' and winds 11mph. LOTS of humidity (77%) and I paid the
                    price in sweat for sure. Started at exactly 8:00am and was feeling good. I did not have a pace marker until around 3.65 miles so I
                    was a little unsure of how fast I was running. I made it to my first marker and I was about a minute and half ahead of my projected
                    time. I kept this same pace from the start of the race until around the 20 mile mark. When I came across at 20 miles I was 3 minutes
                    behind my time.  I needed a bathroom break so I think that cost me 1-2 right there. Anyways from miles 20-26.2 it gets crazy and
                    painful.
                         Miles 0-20 =    7.45 - 7:50 avg pace.
                         Miles 20-26.2 = 10:40ish    avg pace (OUCH)
                        So I get to mile 20 and I am feeling a little sluggish on my legs but no pain and plenty of breath.  Next thing I know my calves
                    are cramping with every step getting worse. I had to do some walk/running for several minutes to try and recover. I stopped and
                    stretched 2-3 times for 30 seconds, even sat down once for 30 secs. I did this from mile 20-24 probably and it sucked. It was super
                    painful but around the 23 mile mark the pain started going away. I was chugging my last of powerade hoping for an electrolite boost
                    or something !!  Then around 24 miles I felt almost normal again and picked up the pace to around 8:30? The last half mile I picked
                    up the pace a lot and sprinted the last .2  I was really surprised I had juice left in my legs. Finished the full marathon in
                    3hours52minutes10seconds.  My goal was to get 3:30 which was 8:00min pace.  I am still really happy with this time and the huge
                    improvement over my last marathon ( almost 50 minutes!!!)  I made a medal a couple days before the race and my mom placed it on me. She was my water station /my supporter / camera / Finish line holder lol THANKS MOM!!

I drank around 55 oz of powerade and 50oz of water during the run. I ate two fruit grain bars as well.
                    I lost maybe 7 pounds during the run which is crazy. Even after eating some food and chugging water on the way home, I was still
                    5pounds lighter when I got home.  I have to figure out how to manage this...

POST RACE thoughts : I was very happy with my time improvement over the last marathon.  I was 150% satisfied with my
                    planning/training/and everything that led up to this day. I really felt I was ready and there were no excuses in my way.  I made sure
                    not to overtrain, get hurt, eat wrong foods, everything was SWEET!  The memories I have of running a marathon will now be happy ones.  I felt really traumatized mentally and physically from my last marathon and this was totally different. Anyways, I am feeling a
                    great runners high right now and loving life. My body is feeling really good and shockingly unsore and unhurt. I hope I can fully
                    recover in a couple days.  Anyways that is about it, there were a lot of good moments and smiles, lots of sweat and lots of gritting
                    teeth. I am calling this day a success !

Last marathon ( same course ) 4hours39minutes11seconds 12-26-12
                    Todays marathon               3hours52minutes10seconds 06-02-13

Can't figure out the line spacing problem!!! sorry guys

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Christirei

Congrats guys! Great running!
                      Turbolegs

Wolfwalker .. well done .. cant imagine running a solo marathon !!

Turbolegs

I have just started to piece together a not-so-erratic training plan .. doing the 18/55 Pfitz for my next marathon on Sep 29 .. i gave myself 2 weeks of basic regular running before getting into the actual training plan and before i knew it, 2 weeks have already gone by, so now in Week 3 of 18. So far so good, have managed to run the mileage even if not hitting  the key workouts in the way they were designed .. e.g. the workout day before called for 21km with 13km at Marathon Pace - there is no way i can do that just yet so just ran a steady 21km and hope to start incorporating the MP segments after week 4 on the plan ..

I am running a 10km race this coming weekend so that should give me a good idea of where my current fitness is and also help set a goal for the sep marathon.

Anybody else in a similar stage of training?

Turbolegs

Knock knock!!

Dreamn

Who's there? Smile

I'm in week 3 of my Hanson's plan.  Running life before now has been kind of boring.  Just building miles leading up to the start of the plan.  This was the first week of 2 quality workouts - intervals on Monday and a tempo (defined as MGP) run today.  Definitely looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.  I don't know if I posted these here, but my best race times this spring were a 10 miler @ 1:17 and a half at 1:43.  All signs point to sub-4 if I don't screw it up Smile.  15 weeks to go until race day!  Hope all the fall marathoners are doing well Smile.

Christirei

Looking for a tune up half for the end of sept but other than that just holding steady here in the Midwest. Training going well with a few life interruptions but hoping to go sub four, BQ, and possibly (fingers crossed) go sub 3:30 lots of running right now, and lots of hills work while I am in my strength phase of my plan