2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

I recognize a lot of avatars in this group from the sub 2:00 HM. Running my first FM on Sept 22 in Montreal. Doing an 18 week TP, going well, except for a knee injury at the end of June which put a damper on my runs for most of July. Knee feels better, and started my long runs already (27k to 35k) but at slower pace. My goal would be a sub 4, but really happy if I get near 3:50. I have run 3 HM from 1:44 to 1:46 and 10K under 48m. So I think I am focusing on the right time, unless I am wayyy offff.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
    2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

pcaharrier

Who's there? Smile

I'm in week 3 of my Hanson's plan.  Running life before now has been kind of boring.  Just building miles leading up to the start of the plan.  This was the first week of 2 quality workouts - intervals on Monday and a tempo (defined as MGP) run today.  Definitely looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.  I don't know if I posted these here, but my best race times this spring were a 10 miler @ 1:17 and a half at 1:43.  All signs point to sub-4 if I don't screw it up Smile.  15 weeks to go until race day!  Hope all the fall marathoners are doing well Smile.

It's a small world, I guess, because I'm in my fourth week of my Hansons plan. I thought that I might do the local marathon, but I'm leaning more and more toward going for a more established race by doing the Richmond Marathon.  Have you run Richmond before or will this be your first?

Dreamn

It's a small world, I guess, because I'm in my fourth week of my Hansons plan. I thought that I might do the local marathon, but I'm leaning more and more toward going for a more established race by doing the Richmond Marathon.  Have you run Richmond before or will this be your first?

Smile  This will be my first Richmond Marathon.  I've heard good things about it, but I am scared of the steep downhill finish.  How's the Hanson plan going for you?

pcaharrier

Smile  This will be my first Richmond Marathon.  I've heard good things about it, but I am scared of the steep downhill finish.  How's the Hanson plan going for you?

Going pretty well so far.  I went with the advanced plan (working on the 3:45 line) since I was already doing about 40 mpw and I had seen npaden (in this thread) had good results from doing the same.  I missed a few workouts last week due to illness, but now with backing everything up by a week to do Richmond instead of Norfolk, I think I could easily slip that speed workout (6x800) back in.  I did the 5x1000 speed workout this morning and it was tough (I hit two intervals right on my goal pace and the rest were over), but I still feel like I'm making good progress.

npaden

pcaharrier and stever1966, if I can pull off a sub 3:50, I'm sure you guys can.  Both of you have much better speed than I do, it's just a matter of building up your endurance to go with it.  I'm still impressed at how well the Hansons Plan did for me.  I was still feeling great through mile 20, which was 2 miles further than I had ever run in my life before.  I did try to follow the MARCO pace plan and I think that helped me to.

http://feelrace.com/marathonperfect.html

I lagged the 3:50 pace group and just never let them get out of sight and then caught them about 11 or 12 miles in and then hung with them until mile 19 or 20 and then went on ahead of them.

I'm working toward a sub 45:00 10K now and I think it is going to be way harder for me than a sub 3:50 marathon was.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

natm1967

Hi All,

I'm also on the Hansons plan with 6.5 weeks left to go for my first marathon in Portland, OR (Oct 6).  After reading about npaden's experience and success with his training & marathon, I was inspired to give it a try.

I've been consistently running for about 20 years (mostly easy miles) and will be 46 years old in the fall.  With only one recent official race in the last 16 years (a 10K under 45 min in 2012 with no specific training), I wasn't sure about training paces.  I settled down to 8:00 goal MP in the Hansons book charts to guide me and haven't had any issues with the paces or recovering from any of the workouts.  My peak week will be about 67 miles, and I'll end up averaging about 55 mpw.

Since I don't know what my endurance is like beyond 20+ continuous miles, I'm thinking I'll run most of the race conservatively at maybe 8:20 - 8:30 pace or even slower instead.  I hope I won't regret not going harder, but, really, I'll be happy overall with a strong finish that could be under 4 hours for a first marathon.  Just hope it doesn't rain that day...

npaden - Thanks for the link to the pace plan & the inspiration!

npaden

natm1967 - hard to think I could be an inspiration to a long time runner like you but I'm glad I was able to help.  Looking at your log I think you should be able to absolutely hammer a sub 4 hour goal big time.  How were you feeling at the end of that recent 18 miler at an 8:30 pace?  To put things in perspective, I was struggling at the end of both of my 18 milers and they were at a 9:30ish pace.  At mile 18 of my actual marathon with a little taper I was averaging an 8:45ish pace and felt great.

I personally think you could probably get close to sub 3:30 if the weather held up and you wanted to push it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

natm1967

I have not thought about the taper's effect on how I might feel during the actual race, so it's good to hear your experience.  My recent 18 miler was manageable, but I was tired enough at the end & ready to be done.  I have two more long runs to go and will keep those below 30% of the weekly mileage, so probably 18 - 20 miles.

I find the Thursday MP tempo runs at the 8:00 pace the most challenging of the workouts.  Though I can manage, they will max out at 10 miles at pace, and I wonder if I really could maintain that speed for the full race distance.  I just have to remember I'm doing the "substance" workouts on tired legs.

Turbolegs

I am likely going to have to bail on my Berlin marathon plan .. and start training afresh. The past couple of months has been hard - mostly work related stress(es) so hopefully going forward, things are a little smoother. All the best to the others who are still training as they should be ! Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

pcaharrier

I am likely going to have to bail on my Berlin marathon plan .. and start training afresh. The past couple of months has been hard - mostly work related stress(es) so hopefully going forward, things are a little smoother. All the best to the others who are still training as they should be ! Smile

Sorry to hear that.  I can't help but think that putting off the race is a much better option that forging ahead and risking being undertrained.

As for me, I've changed plans . . . again, but this time for good.  I'm going to do the Outer Banks Marathon on November 10th rather than the Norfolk Freedom Marathon or the Richmond Marathon.  A few people from work are doing the half marathon the same day and the logistical side works out well for me.  Since it follows North Carolina Highway 12 most of the way, it's also a relatively flat course.

CT JEFF

Time to post the goal. Then I'll have to go and make it happen.

Well - this year I did the impossible (I thought it was until I did it) sub 2:00 HM ! wow. I was shooting for 2:08 maybe 2:05, but when I got a good jump in the first 4 miles, I kept telling myself, "you just need to keep a steady pace for a couple more miles, then you will have a cushion".

Anyway- My first and only FM was 4:40. I am doing a FM end of Jan 2014 indoors. (weird right?) its only about 0.2 miles per lap, but I'll take a winter goal. I have my next FM end of May, then Mid Oct 2014 - yep all paid for.

Jan goal: Good 4:30, Better 4:20, Great 4:10

May Goal: Good 4:20, Better 4:10, Great 3:59

Oct Goals: Good 4:15 Better 4:08, Great 3:55.

Id love to BQ, but thats 3:10. Getting under 4 will be huge. In 2015, I'll have an extra 5 min to qualify!

I'll be back!

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

pcaharrier

As for me, I've changed plans . . . again, but this time for good.  I'm going to do the Outer Banks Marathon on November 10th rather than the Norfolk Freedom Marathon or the Richmond Marathon.  A few people from work are doing the half marathon the same day and the logistical side works out well for me.  Since it follows North Carolina Highway 12 most of the way, it's also a relatively flat course.

It turned out it was just one other guy from work and me (I'm still not quite sure why everyone else dipped out, but oh well).

The weather was great, the course was fun, and the staff/volunteers were outstanding.  All that translated into a finish time of 3:41:50.

CT JEFF

congrats on the race time pch. wow. your first marathon and sub 4:00.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Turbolegs

Hi all .. would anybody here be interested in getting the 2014 sub 4:00 thread started? I would have volunteered myself had i not done such a lacklustre job of it these past few months.

Anybody putting their hand up for this?? ... anybody .....??

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

CT JEFF

RW Holiday Streak going strong for me. Last LSD 15.3 miles. Next marathon Jan 25th (indoors) Should be interesting. Thinking of doing it barefoot. Yesterday wasnt my strongest run. I was reviewing my pre-marathon times and interesting how many LSD runs came close to (or dead on) my final FM pace. Unless something drastic happens (I lose 15-25 lbs in the next 6 weeks) I expect my time to be about 4:20. Clearly Im still hoping for better, but not expecting sub 4 this Jan. I do have another FM in May.