2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

pcaharrier

congrats on the race time pch. wow. your first marathon and sub 4:00.

Thanks!  And sorry I missed this before.

Indoor marathon?  I don't think I've ever heard of that before.  I assume it's somewhere cold?  How many people sign up for something like that?

There are a few indoor marathons in Montreal and Ottawa, don't know how I'd feel going around a track like 78,000 times.

me-well, back in September I ran my first marathon at 4:07, with killer knee pain after the 35k mark. I'm doing the same marathon this September, and I'm gunning for the sub 4 this time around!!!

Happy 2014 running everyone!

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
      2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Would be good to get this thread a little more active.....

Week 2 of Pfitz 18/55 completed: 11m general aerobic including 10 x 100m strides; 10.5m general aerobic; 5.5m recovery; 14 milesLR with 10m@ GMP (treadmill due to weather)

Two words about the last workout of 14m on TM: firstly, smashed my previous TM distance record of 8m, made possible by listening to MArathonTalk podcasts; for those of you who do not know this show, it is excellent, comes out every Wednesday, is free, and available on iTunes. It is a global broadcast but put together in the UK, so the accents may be challenging (particularly "Tony's Trials" which are short clips but can be extremely funny - on a good week) Secondly, I think I am going to need to "calibrate" treadmill pace versus road pace: to elaborate, I set the TM pace at 9:07 for first 4 miles of GMP, but HR was only 144, and I wold havce expected it to be a little higher; for next 4 miles, set to 9:00, and HR actually went down to 143; did mile 9 and 10 at 8:52 and 8:45, with HR of 144 and 146 respectively. So I will run a few miles at GMP on the road in the next week or two, and compare HR to see if I need to set TM at 8:45 to reflect a road pace of 9:00-9:09.

Otherwise, forum is very quiet. Imagine due to a mix of over-eating during Xmas and the tough weather conditions most of us are facing at the moment. I'll be in Denver next week just for an overnight stay, and have a 4/5 mile recovery run on my schedule for that day. Have done a little research, and will probably go on the Platte River Trail which crosses DT Denver.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

CT JEFF

HEY ALL - Been doing great on improving times over the past year. I started attempting Barefoot running over the summer. A little at a time. I am doing one of those indoor marathons in about 16 days. My training milage hasnt been as good as I wanted training over the holidays.

My first FM I did 4:40 and was happy with it. Im hoping to hit 4:20 this time, just to change the perspective of what is possible. It is going to be 127.8 laps. I cant think of a much better place to attempt barefoot marathon. I just wish I had some recent barefoot / long run training to back me up.

Next Marathon Memorial Day. Im hoping to improve on my JAN time. Already signed up for ING in Hartford for OCT as well. I hope to break this 4:00 by end of the year.

September 2013 I ran a HM barefoot. I had run the course barefoot 3x before the race and PR'd 1:57:28. I know thats not a lot of wiggle room for a 4:00 marathon, but like I said, Ive still been training (and losing a couple pounds) so if I cant do it in January... I will still do it in 2014 ! ! !

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

Indoor marathon?  I don't think I've ever heard of that before.  I assume it's somewhere cold?  How many people sign up for something like that?

I hadnt heard of it either, so I signed up to check it out.

8:00 A.M.             5k Run Start (18 of 50 entries left – 50-minute course time limit)

9:00 A.M.             Marathon Start (Sold Out – 20 Entries – 6-hour course time limit)

9:00 A.M.             Marathon Relay Start (Sold Out – 10 Teams – 6-hour course time limit)

9:00 A.M.             Half Marathon-1st Heat Start (Sold Out – 35 entries – 2:10-hour course time limit)

11:15 A.M.          Half Marathon-2nd Heat Start (18 of 35 entries left – 3:10-hour course time limit)

If Im reading this right, there could be 20 Marathon runners PLUS 10 FM Relay runners PLUS 35 HM runners at any one time. Total 65. The worst part sounds like 11:15am. Most FM runners + Relay will still be there, and a whole group of HM will be coming out in a pack. 

This race is being held in Hartford CT. This company sneaa also did one in Worchester MA a week ago. There are tons of warnings about how sensitive the chips are indoors, and you arent allowed near the course until you are ready to run it. Anyway- I'll report back on the whole experience.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Jeff: good luck with the indoor marathon. I'm sure that you are sick of referemces to hamsters, etc, so I won't go there. Imagine it will be mentally challenging...are earphones allowed?

Me: week 3 of Pfitz 18/55 completed, 43.8m comprised of: general aerobic (10m), recovery (5m), lactate threshold (9 with 5 at LT), recoery (5m) and long run (14m with 8 @GMP - well, 9:00 as opposed to goal of 9:09)

OK, it's only three weeks, but really liking the Pfitz program. I find that the longer runs during the week are really helpful, and make the weekend LR a breeze. I realize that I am still on the base preparation, and that the hard stuff is still to come (back to hard hard runs and long runs on Friday-Sat-Sunday), but I am really confident this program will enable me to run a great race.

Heart rate on TM versus road: you may remember I did a LR with 10 miles at GMP on the treadmill, and was concerned that the HR was too low. For the treadmill with a 1% incline, it was 143/144, and on the road today, 145/146, so pretty close.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

CT JEFF

Two-foot. As for the 1% incline and the effort compared to road. I found this great page, http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

Its a chart comparing mph settings on TM to pace per mile. It even includes incline and what it would equate to on a flat surface. At 0% on TM, they are saying youd be slower on the road because of wind resistance. Roughly 0.5% indoors on TM seems to equal flat road out on this chart.

Week 4 of training:

- total of 47 miles. Compared with training for Philly 2012 training when all weeks were between 30 and 40, with only two over 40 at 42 miles

- this week composed of LR of 16.5, 2 x general aerobic of 10m incl one plus strides, and 2 x 5m recovery.

- but highlight of week has been starting to run with my two daughters and training them for a spring 5K. Also put the idea out there of all three of us running a half in a year or two....reaction was not total rejection, so I'll take that as a good start!

CT JEFF

Sad racing summary. I did pretty good with my training. I have continued to Streak, so my taper was just more easy miles. On race day, I forgot my bag of gear! !  That was a set back, but I continued. I have done some Barefoot miles. I have been doing well in races. Last 2 races, 13.1 and 10miles BF were successful. Last BF training was in October. This FM was indoors. The smooth cement with its glazed coating were too smooth. My feet slid with every landing and take-off. I formed blisters by mile 9 of FM.

Bottom line. I finished the race with a lot of walking. From the laps I did complete, my pace was pretty good for the Half. I think I could have pushed for a sub 4, but definitely could have taken some time off my 4:40 first FM. Next FM in May. I'll be ready.

CT JEFF

Hey. Who's working on sub 4?

I have been having some decent shorter runs. 10k in Jan and 6.55 in April.  Both at 8:17 pace. Estimator puts my FM at 3:56. Here's the thing.  First FM 4:40. Seems like a big jump. I'll be happy anywhere under a 10:00 pace (4:22). Race in 6 wks!