2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

Turbolegs

Welcome to the group az2mntrail .. i have added you in as tentative on the list until you decide your goal marathon. Given your description of how you ran your first marathon, if you can stay injury free, you should be able to tick this one off the list quite comfortably.

I am up in exactly 4 weekends from now. I really dont know what to make of my training, except that it feels great to have been running consistently these past few weeks having come off a hiatus. So irrespective of the actual race time, this is a definite positive. So far the training has been going according to the shotgun plan i had made, mirroring my 3 month training from last year so if the weather is cooperative on race day (2010 was hell apparently, 5 degrees to start with, and then rain made a grand entry), i should have a decent shot at coming close to 4 hours + 5 mins.

The only thing right now i am really nervous about is that i am on holiday from Feb 7th to 17th.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

npaden

Keep it going Turbolegs.

I've been rocking along on my plan pretty good.  Set my PR for weekly mileage last week with 48 miles logged.  This was a good test week for me because I was out of town with work all week and from the time I flew out on Monday to the time I landed back in town on Friday I had 30 miles under my belt with 2 of those being workouts.   Very happy to be able to stick to my plan on the road.  I'll be out of town this week as well and hopefully will still be able to keep it up.  I already know a couple days next week are going to be sketchy as far as getting my run in, but worst case scenario I'll end up doing intervals in the dark or running on the treadmill at 10pm when I get home.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Turbolegs

Keep it going Turbolegs.

I've been rocking along on my plan pretty good.  Set my PR for weekly mileage last week with 48 miles logged.  This was a good test week for me because I was out of town with work all week and from the time I flew out on Monday to the time I landed back in town on Friday I had 30 miles under my belt with 2 of those being workouts.   Very happy to be able to stick to my plan on the road.  I'll be out of town this week as well and hopefully will still be able to keep it up.  I already know a couple days next week are going to be sketchy as far as getting my run in, but worst case scenario I'll end up doing intervals in the dark or running on the treadmill at 10pm when I get home.

Nathan -  I really wish you had a better past week than i did. My long run remained on the training plan and didnt translate into a completed workout - thanks to a nascent sore throat infection and a cold. Really praying hard that this cold goes away and with it, the general sense of fatigue that has been annoying me the past couple of days.

My plan is to try and complete the long run in the next 4-5 days before i leave on a 10 day holiday to the land of the hobbits. If it happens well and good - else i will "taper" down irrespective. Better to get to the start line undertrained than overtrained.

How goes it in your neck of the woods?

Mostly harmless

Hello. I just stumbled across this group and would like to join in.

The quick and dirty on me:

I'm 46 years old. I've been running for about 10 years but didn't tackle anything longer than a 5K until 2010 when I ran my first HM.  Since then I have run 3 more half marathons and one marathon.  My goal for my marathon last year was sub 4:30 and I made that with 8 seconds to spare!  I am currently training for marathon #2, the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. My training is going very well so far.  I got a real big confidence booster yesterday by running 18 miles with the last 12 at about 30-40 seconds under my target MP of 9:00.

I think that's about it!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

npaden

Rocking along here still.  Setting mileage PR's pretty much every week right now.  Long run was 12.4 yesterday at 9:28 avg pace with a decent hill thrown in.  Avg HR was at 78% of max and my goal is to keep it around 77% of max on that run so pretty much right in line with what I was hoping.  That was after a MP Tempo on Thursday with 6 miles at MP and a total of 9 miles.  8 miles easy on the agenda today.  Should end up with just over 53 miles for the week.  My peak is 65 mpw so that doesn't sound like that many more miles.  Most of it is going to be added to the long run and the MP Tempo run though so those runs are going to get harder and harder I'm sure.

Sorry to hear about you not feeling good.  Hopefully you can shake it off quickly.  I went through that back right around the first of the year and it took me a few weeks to pull out of it.  I personally wouldn't push that last long run if you aren't feeling it, but it is a fine line between maintaining your fitness, losing your fitness and overtraining when you are sick.  Good Luck!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Turbolegs

ImnotScott - Welcome to the group, have added you to the list. Runlikeagirl is running the same marathon as well ....

Nathan - Nice chunk of training right now for you ... make sure that every 4-5 weeks or so, you dial back a bit to absorb the heavy training you have been doing... especially with Jan mileage of 300km pretty much double your average from the previous 3 months or so ... having said that, your consistency is excellent so keep it going strong !!

Hi all, I too share the same goal and 2013 seems like my year.

Just completed week 2 of Pfitz 55/18.  This is my second cycle using Pfitz, though the last one was interrupted for a few weeks due to a lower leg injury.  As you can see from my signature, I've been steadily improving towards the 4 hr mark hoping to break it in my spring Marathon and then continue on to even lower times in the Fall.

My next marathon will be the Vermont City Marathon on May 26, but I plan to run two additional HMs as fitness checks along the way.

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

Mostly harmless

ImnotScott - Welcome to the group, have added you to the list. Runlikeagirl is running the same marathon as well ....

Nathan - Nice chunk of training right now for you ... make sure that every 4-5 weeks or so, you dial back a bit to absorb the heavy training you have been doing... especially with Jan mileage of 300km pretty much double your average from the previous 3 months or so ... having said that, your consistency is excellent so keep it going strong !!

Thanks for adding me to the list.  I've had to make a last minute change in plans due to some conflicts.  I am not running Rock n Roll USA in Washington DC instead of the Shamrock.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Turbolegs

Hi Scott (or not) - have changed your goal marathon details ..

I have another 10 days before my marathon and i am really a bunch of nerves now ... long run didnt happen and i have been on holiday with the family and driving around pretty much every other day so trying to squeeze in as much running as possible even when not in best condition to do so .. i think for all practical purposes, a sub-4 marathon at Tokyo will require nothing short of a supreme miracle.

UncleJoe

I'd like to throw my name in the ring - I started running marathons in 2007 and am about to run my 13th in March (B&A Tail Marathon, Annapolis, MD). I've run all of them in 4:30+ except one and my goal is to get down to or break 4:00 in 2013. Planning for Wineglass, Steamtown or another similar, fast race in the fall for that pace.

I'm running about 40miles/week in a mix of LSD and Speed. Definitely getting faster, long way to go :-)

RidgerunR

Greetings, my name is Jim and I am addicted to running. I'm currently training for my 6th marathon and once again aiming for a sub 4 goal. Have come close recently (4:04 Erie) and hope to go sub 4 next month at the Shamrock marathon. Have been training with Pfitz 12/55 training plan and currently enduring the 55 mile week. Training has been brutal through this cycle running through some really nasty weather. Tomorrows 20 miler will be run in sub 20 degree temps. Thankfully no snow predicted at this point so roads/sidewalks should be pretty safe.

Good luck to all chasing their goals this year.

Turbolegs

Uncle Joe, Jim, Welcome to the group .. I was away on holiday for a bit and just got back an hour ago.

The downside of my holiday: Minimal training and an over-taper if there was ever any.

The upside of my holiday: NewZealand is just so awesome !! I am really going to try and figure out a way to go and live in the South Island there for a bit (possibly Wanaka).

Tejas Runner

I am going to take a shot at this on Sunday at Cowtown.  This will be my second marathon.  I was well under a 4:00 pace at my first (MCM) when my IT Band just went completely south.  Crossed the halfway point well under 2 hours.  Knee started to go at mile 14, by 16 I was walking.  Finished in just over 5 hours.  I feel  my training was spot on, my effort and pace were spot on.   But everything just went to hell.

So I am trying again.  My plan is to go out with the 4:00 pacer.  I feel ready except that now, out of the blue, my feet are bugging me.  Stupid body.  Smile

Once again, into the fray!

pae

I'm hoping to make the Flying Pig Marathon (5/5/2013) my first shot at a marathon.  I ran a sub-2:00 half marathon pretty comfortably earlier this month, and my 'A' goal for the Pig is a sub 4:00.  My training is fairly well so far, but now that my long runs are getting longer, I'm going to have a better feel for what to expect for the full.

Turbolegs

Tejas runner, Pae ... nice to see you in the fray as well .. i will update your names on the list later when my internet connection is a bit more reliable .. have fun running ...

Tokyo is up in 3 days .. and in my present state .. i will be lucky if i finish in 4:30 .. so i am very tempted to take my name off the list for now and let my September marathon be the goal .. anyhoo .. the cards will fall as they may .. Smile