2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Tejas and Turbo!  Those are two interesting contrasting stories.  Sometimes everything works out, and sometimes not; that's the challenge of the marathon.  Turbolegs, good effort.  I hope life is kinder in terms of your training between now and Berlin, so you can log plenty of consistent miles.

Turbolegs

Congratulations Tejas and Turbo!  Those are two interesting contrasting stories.  Sometimes everything works out, and sometimes not; that's the challenge of the marathon.  Turbolegs, good effort.  I hope life is kinder in terms of your training between now and Berlin, so you can log plenty of consistent miles.

Thanks LL. Actually, off running, Life has been good to me ... the holiday in NZ was just fantastic ... and i would move lock,stock and barrel there in a heartbeat ... if i knew i could find a job there. Smile Its just that when you are the only one driving around (my folks didnt drive - wife + in-laws) and you cover 1700+kms in around 9 days, you carry a bit of fatigue throughout that makes it difficult to really run much. But the few times that i did manage to do it, was all quite wonderful. Strangely enough, i am quite relieved in a sense that the sub-4 goal is closer to me than i thought it would be ....

I am going to be taking it easy this week before slowly building up for my Comrades ultra in June ... Scary thought is its just around 90 days only !!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

Vegefrog ... how did it go for you??

Tejas Runner

Thanks, I feel really blessed as I was sure it was going to be a disaster at mile 20.

I was looking at pictures yesterday and I saw that three of the people that were in my pace group all finished together.  They all ran off ahead when I had to drop back when my knee started to bother me.  I remember passing one of them, but they all hooked back up sometime after I passed the one guy.

They all finished at 4:08.  9 minutes behind me.  At 4.2 miles to go they were well ahead of me, and yet they finished nine minutes behind me.  That kind of blows me away.

I also found out I finished 13th in my age group.

Dreamn

Congrats Tejas!  Sorry that you didn't make it, Turbo, but congrats on the finish!

Hi again, haven't post for awhile.  Been reading and have celebrated with each of your accomplishments no matter what.  It's tough to get those miles when life interrupts with obligations, work, etc. but your determination shows through.  I did register for the Shiprock marathon in NM on May 4th. I will be in the SW on business during that time so decided to go for it.  Been training 5 days a week so far since returning to northern MN despite the 'cold' which hasn't been all that bad, in the mid 20's lately, sunny, some breeze now and then but tolerable.  Ran 6.15 miles on Sunday, 8.25 miles on Monday, rested Tuesday, ran 10.25 miles on Wednesday (yesterday), and 7.15 miles today!!  YAY!! Plan on at least 12 miles on Saturday ....... weather cooperating.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

Turbolegs

Splits 2013 vs. 2012

This is how my splits compare for the same race against last year .. 2012 was a dream race, as i was able to continuously accelerate pretty much all the way (and thats why i experimented with running the first half faster this year, notwithstanding the quantum of training as 2012 times suggested that if i try running even splits, i should be able to go even faster).

Thanks for the wishes Dreamn.

Tejas - See if you can put up some pics from the race ... would be nice to see.

az2mntrail .. All the best with your race in May !!!

Tejas Runner

Hi again, haven't post for awhile.  Been reading and have celebrated with each of your accomplishments no matter what.  It's tough to get those miles when life interrupts with obligations, work, etc. but your determination shows through.  I did register for the Shiprock marathon in NM on May 4th. I will be in the SW on business during that time so decided to go for it.  Been training 5 days a week so far since returning to northern MN despite the 'cold' which hasn't been all that bad, in the mid 20's lately, sunny, some breeze now and then but tolerable.  Ran 6.15 miles on Sunday, 8.25 miles on Monday, rested Tuesday, ran 10.25 miles on Wednesday (yesterday), and 7.15 miles today!!  YAY!! Plan on at least 12 miles on Saturday ....... weather cooperating.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

I don't know if you have been there but I used to live right outside of Shiprock.  So a couple of things.  Shiprock is high dessert so try to get used to the elevation if you can.  Second, if you haven't seen the elevation chart here it is:

http://www.shiprockmarathon.com/pdfs/altitude.pdf

It is very downhill.  I would try to get some hill work in.  Downhill work.

If you want any information about the area please feel free to contact me.  I still own property out there and lived there for 10 years.

npaden

Turbolegs - Your splits were right in line up until the last 7K and then you finished the last 7K 15 minutes slower this year.  Crazy.

az2mntrail - Good luck on the Shiprock marathon.  That elevation chart does look a litle scary, 1,500' of drop.  My quads are screaming at me just thinking about it!

Me - Ended up with 222.8 miles in Feburary and my streak is up to 57 days and 413.6 miles.  Had a great Marathon Pace Tempo run last night, ended up with some GPS problems so missed the first 1/2 mile of the run, but the last 10.6 miles I averaged an 8:45 pace and my HR never got over 85% the entire run and averaged below 80%.  It was a perfect evening, and it actually felt pretty easy.  That run actually put me at 63 mile over the last 7 days for an average of 9 miles a day.  I have a 16 miler at a 9:30 pace on the schedule for this weekend, hopefully that will go just as well.  Still feeling good about the plan, if anything I'm having a hard time sticking with the paces based on the plan because I want to push the pace more.

Signed up for a local 14K next Saturday.  This will be the first real sidetrip off my training plan.  I'm going to keep my volume up, but swap my MP Tempo run out for the race that week and possibly swap my Tuesday interval work out with easy miles the week after the race.  I'm shooting to do it under an 8:00 average pace and right now I feel like that is actually pretty conservative.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I don't know if you have been there but I used to live right outside of Shiprock.  So a couple of things.  Shiprock is high dessert so try to get used to the elevation if you can.  Second, if you haven't seen the elevation chart here it is:

http://www.shiprockmarathon.com/pdfs/altitude.pdf

It is very downhill.  I would try to get some hill work in.  Downhill work.

If you want any information about the area please feel free to contact me.  I still own property out there and lived there for 10 years.

HEY NEIGHBOR!!  What are the odds?!? Great to know 'someone' who knows the 'Four Corners!!' Big grin I am originally from NM, and not only live in northern MN now but also still have a home in northern AZ.  I prefer technical trail running and did (still do when I go back for visits) most of my trail races and training runs in 7,000+ elevation before moving to MN.  Shiprock is at least 5,000 ft in altitude so I am familiar with the change.  I actually prefer it and really don't have too much difficulty acclimating back to it whenever I visit for personal or professional reasons.  Matter of fact, just returned from SW a couple of wks ago.  While in Gallup area (about 5,500 ft) on business for a few days, I did my training runs on a muddy, slushy, icy trail of 10 miles two days in a row, temps were 'warm' in the 30s, slight breeze, but sunny and ran a HM in PHX. Felt marvelous after running on the darn TM in MN during the artic blasts for weeks prior, ugh!!  Don't care for paved flat roads either but gotta do what you gotta do, right?  My work involves a lot of hectic travel which keeps me in 'training mode' just in case there is a 10 miler and/or HM that I can run in.  LOVE IT! Thanks for the advice and info!!

az2mntrail - Good luck on the Shiprock marathon.  That elevation chart does look a litle scary, 1,500' of drop.  My quads are screaming at me just thinking about it!

Me - Ended up with 222.8 miles in Feburary and my streak is up to 57 days and 413.6 miles.

Signed up for a local 14K next Saturday.  This will be the first real sidetrip off my training plan.  I'm going to keep my volume up, but swap my MP Tempo run out for the race that week and possibly swap my Tuesday interval work out with easy miles the week after the race.  I'm shooting to do it under an 8:00 average pace and right now I feel like that is actually pretty conservative.

npaden:  LOVE those!!  yep, insane, I know!!  Mentioned to Tegas runner about my living and technical trail running in 7,000+ ft for years so not too fearful of them.  I've run in the X-Terra trail running events along with other trail running series on the desert mts of PHX and northern AZ, NM, and CO (use to live in Denver too) so I am use to the challenges of higher elevation.  You aren't doing too bad yourself, WOW!!  Feb. was a great month for you, so your goal for the Saturday event is achievable, BEST OF LUCK!!!  I know you'll blow them away!!

Tejas Runner

HEY NEIGHBOR!!  What are the odds?!? Great to know 'someone' who knows the 'Four Corners!!' Big grin I am originally from NM, and not only live in northern MN now but also still have a home in northern AZ.  I prefer technical trail running and did (still do when I go back for visits) most of my trail races and training runs in 7,000+ elevation before moving to MN.  Shiprock is at least 5,000 ft in altitude so I am familiar with the change.  I actually prefer it and really don't have too much difficulty acclimating back to it whenever I visit for personal or professional reasons.  Matter of fact, just returned from SW a couple of wks ago.  While in Gallup area (about 5,500 ft) on business for a few days, I did my training runs on a muddy, slushy, icy trail of 10 miles two days in a row, temps were 'warm' in the 30s, slight breeze, but sunny and ran a HM in PHX. Felt marvelous after running on the darn TM in MN during the artic blasts for weeks prior, ugh!!  Don't care for paved flat roads either but gotta do what you gotta do, right?  My work involves a lot of hectic travel which keeps me in 'training mode' just in case there is a 10 miler and/or HM that I can run in.  LOVE IT! Thanks for the advice and info!!

Sounds like you have it all covered.  And just to make it a small world, I lived in MN for 15 years (went to Macalester - college and the U of M - graduate school.  Lived in MPLS most of that time).

Have you checked out the Durango Double?  It is supposed to be a great time.

http://www.durangodouble.com/event-information/trail-runs/

Tegas Runner:  are you kidding?!? wow, a 'smaller' world indeed Smile Still getting familiar with MN  and the 'midwest' lifestyle although we lived in neighboring ND (same difference, haha) about 10 miles from Canadian border for about 10 yrs before relocating to northern AZ.  But I travel frequently and really never felt like I 'lived' in ND except during the winter, haha!!  OMgosh, I love Durango, played alot of basketball there, worked with the forest service in Mancos during my summer college years, and have always wanted to do the Durango Double, specifically the 25K Trail event but always had schedule conflict.  However, I was talking with a friend of mine and she is thinking about it too, she is from Aztec.  I may be in the SW again in October, so this might be the year!!  That is a tough endurance event, doing one and then the other the next day!! Not sure if I would do both, all depends if I have some time to train in that climate prior to the event.  Lots of hill repeats for sure no matter what!!

Enjoyed reading your post about your recent FM; CONGRATS!!! incredible, isn't it?!?  The training is tough with life's interruptions but the results are PRICELESS!!  WAY TO GO!!  So what, where and when is your next running event? Smile

Turbolegs:  YOU'LL GET IT NEXT TIME!!  So close, darn it, been there.  You deserve a "CONGRATS" for accomplishing it!! Belgium sounds wonderful, lucky you!!

Turbolegs

ImnotScott, Ridgerunr, Runlikeagirl ... you guys are up next .. have a fantastic race this weekend and hope to see you bring in the sub-4 hour trophy !!

Theyapper .. i had a look at your log for the race last weekend .. i am assuming that you likely caught an injury around the 9-10 mile mark .. what happened? are you doing alright now?

runlikeagirI

Thanks, Turbo! I am trying not to freak out, it doesn't seem real. Good luck everyone racing this weekend!