2013 Sub 4:00 Marathon Goal (Read 1274 times)

ldjonesbruins

I guess I'm in. Big grin

Maine Marathon, Portland/Falmouth Maine

October 6, 2013

"A" Goal - Sub 4:00

Stretch goal - 3:30

About me(remember, you asked for it): I am a 40 year old married father of 3.  I was fairly athletic growing up, and sort of drifted away from that in my 20s and early 30s.  I decided in 2006 that I wanted to run a marathon, and signed up with TNT as a motivator.  I learned very quickly that it wasn't as easy as simply deciding I was going to do it.  I ultimately bailed due to a back injury that eventually required surgery, but realistically, I would never have made it anyway.  I didn't run again for quite a while before picking it back up in 2010.  I got a little more serious about training(though not serious enough) and targeted Maine again.  At the very end of June I was hit by a pickup while bicycling, fracturing 3 vertebrae and cracking two disks, which ended my running year.

2011 found me at 210lbs on a 5'9" frame.  I got angry, and ran a couple of very slow miles.  3 months later I was down to 180 and had my sights set on the marathon again.  Training went well, though in retrospect I skipped far too many workouts, and I posted a 1:50 half in April.  During a taper run the week of the marathon, I strained my right calf slightly.  I ran the marathon, went out strong, hit the halfway point in 1:55 or so, and at mile 15, the training and my calf caught up to me, and I walked a large portion of the last 11 miles.  I finished, but badly, and posted a 4:26:56.

Last year I trained harder, and PRed 3 consecutive 5ks, 21:07 being my current, and blew away my half time on my 40th birthday(1:43:50) even after running a 1 mile race 20 minutes before the gun for the half.  My back injury acted up, and I lost almost a month of training, and rather than be foolish, I ran a leg of the marathon relay.  My brother ran the full, his first, and posted a 3:37.  I was jealous. =)

This year, my brother declared in January that he was going to attempt to BQ this October, which is 3:30 for him.  This knocked me out of my winter slump, and I've been training fairly hard with a couple of setbacks early.  My ultimate goal is to pace him to his BQ, but if I can get through the race, feel good, and go sub-4, I'll be thrilled.  Right now I'm loosely using Pfitz 18/55, planning on going through the first 12 weeks, then resetting in June and doing the full program if I feel I can.  This is the first time I've really paid attention to paces and effort, and I'm pushing for my goal pace, not my comfortable pace, so I'm finding the pace and tempo runs.....difficult, to say the least.  I'm committed to going all out, and letting the chips fall where they may, but if I fail, it isn't going to be for lack of preparation this time!

One item I really need to improve upon is diet, specifically carb intake.  I'm down to 180lbs, but based on what I'm reading, I'm taking in about 1/3 to 1/2 the carbs I need to get based on my mileage and training.  Any advice on how to get more carbs in my diet without eating every 15 minutes?  Are what non-runners would term "empty" carbs worth eating if there's a balance with whole grains?  Because I can eat jelly beans like it's my job. =)

This seems like a very motivated group....I'm looking forward to the encouragement and great stories!

PRs - 5k - 21:07    13.1 - 1:43:48      26.2 - 3:57:27

Turbolegs

idjonesbruins .. thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed intro to yourself. From what i read, its quite obvious that if you stay injury free, the sub-4 is yours for the taking.

I have had a very slow March myself due to travel and hope to reignite the training in April and May to give Comrades a legit shot (to complete).

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Christirei

idjones

You can get a lot of carbs by fruits and fresh veggies, it doesn't have to be bread/grains/junk/empty carbs. You can maintain your weight loss (congrats by the way!) and still get the extra carbs to fuel your runs. Or you can do things like steel cut oats in the morning with fresh berries and nuts, granola as a snack during the day with greek yogurt, apple/carrot sticks in the afternoon. Banana with pb on toast. veggie sticks with hummus....lots of ways to get good healthy carbs without compromising the weight loss gains you have made! Good luck on your training!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congrats Shamrock and other March Marathoners!  It's exciting to see that several of you accomplished the sub-4:00 thing!

One more month until mine, and I'm feeling good about my training; however, I'm having a bit of a dilemma.  I was planning to run with the 3:45 pacer, but discovered they will only have 3:40 and 3:50.  Looking at the 3:40 pacing chart, that 8:18 in mile 21 looks a little brutal.  3:50 is slower than I want to go.  Which should I choose....

npaden

Less than two weeks to go for my first ever marathon, I'm getting a little nervous.

Been following the plan pretty well, my mileage is higher than I would have ever expected, I've done all the key workouts and added a little to a couple of the 16 mile long runs so I have two 18 milers in the books...  The race is still a bit unknown though.

The Hansons Plan doesn't have much of a taper compared to most.  Logged 57 miles last week but no long run on the weekend.  This week is supposed to be about the same but I think only 55 miles with two key workouts.  The week of the race is all easy and even less mileage.

At some point I was getting pretty cocky and thinking 3:50 was in the bag, but my MP Tempo run last week was tougher than I expected (I purposely added in a couple big hills) so I'm just hoping I can get close.  8:45 pace for 26.2 miles seems almost unthinkable in many ways.

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Less than two weeks to go for my first ever marathon, I'm getting a little nervous.

Yep, me too.

Been following the plan pretty well, my mileage is higher than I would have ever expected, I've done all the key workouts and added a little to a couple of the 16 mile long runs so I have two 18 milers in the books...  The race is still a bit unknown though.

The Hansons Plan doesn't have much of a taper compared to most.  Logged 57 miles last week but no long run on the weekend.  This week is supposed to be about the same but I think only 55 miles with two key workouts.  The week of the race is all easy and even less mileage.

At some point I was getting pretty cocky and thinking 3:50 was in the bag, but my MP Tempo run last week was tougher than I expected (I purposely added in a couple big hills) so I'm just hoping I can get close.  8:45 pace for 26.2 miles seems almost unthinkable in many ways.

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

I think you'll be fine. You've apparently got less taper than I - maybe I'm tapering too much? Taper madness is already setting in. Smile

I know I've got 26.2 in me; I just don't know how fast, and that's got me a bit worried.  What if I choose the wrong pace??

Good luck everybody, with your Cinco de Mayo efforts!

Turbolegs

npaden - your mileage looks to me like you are training for a 3:40 or so and your most recent half puts you comfortably under 4 hours .. so if i were you,  I would be in a world of confidence ! All the best for your race !!

James_H, Ledlincoln - All the best to you guys as well. I will be keenly looking out for your good news! Smile

I am looking for a local Southern California Marathon pretty soon.  Only thing holding me back is the money.  I am completely broke so entrance fees are killing me.  I've ran my half-mara this cycle at 1:42 and my previous full mara was paced to be around 3:55 but I got a 4:39 due to cramping. I am ready this cycle for sure.  Maybe 3-4 more long runs so maybe in late May, or early June.  Mainly just posting this to get me motivated and moving towards the goal of sub 4 marathon.

Npaden - Good luck !!!!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Wolf, I think the SoCal marathons are already getting kind of warm that time of year.  So maybe there are less available.  San Diego Rock and Roll is June 2 this year.  Its popular and probably not cheap.  Carlsbad Marathon is in late January.  It would be smaller, cooler, cheaper - but you may not want to wait that long.  There is the Mountains2Beach in Ventura in the end of May that looks interesting - all downhill.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think after my History exam tomorrow I will finally pick a marathon and work on raising some money for my entrance fee.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats to all the sub 4 grads!  Just realized I never checked in here after my target race in March that ended up not being a target at all.  Hurt my calf during the training and ended up missing essentially one month of training but decided to go ahead and do the race.  Took my time, walked when I wanted, etc., etc.

Turned out to be a great day with family and I'll jump back into the cycle and give sub 4 a real shot in Charlotte at the Thunder Road Marathon on November 16.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Little under 4 weeks out from my goal marathon and I'm starting to feel pretty good.  I had to drop from the Pfitz 18-55 plan to the 12-55 plan when a crazy week of work knocked me off schedule in late Feb, but I've recovered nicely and completed all of my major runs (3 MP: warm-up and then 8mi, 10mi, 12mi at 8:34 pace). Even had the first 20 miler with an average pace of 9:09. This past weekend instead of my 17mi LSD I ran a 1/2 marathon fitness check, went into the race thinking I wasn't as fast as last Fall and would probably finish in the 1:48 range, but I exceeded my own expectations and even set a new PR of 1:43:13 (by 2 sec over last fall, but hey it counts).  I have my second 20mi coming up Sun (will target same 9:10 pace), then 1 more week of high mileage before my 2 week taper.

Confidence is running high right now, based on my ability to finish my 3 MP runs, the first 20mi and my fitness check, I'm thinking 3:45 might be a possible A goal (3:50 & 4:00 as B, C)!  Am I completely crazy or does this seem achievable, dare I say even reasonable?

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

Turbolegs

Little under 4 weeks out from my goal marathon and I'm starting to feel pretty good.  I had to drop from the Pfitz 18-55 plan to the 12-55 plan when a crazy week of work knocked me off schedule in late Feb, but I've recovered nicely and completed all of my major runs (3 MP: warm-up and then 8mi, 10mi, 12mi at 8:34 pace). Even had the first 20 miler with an average pace of 9:09. This past weekend instead of my 17mi LSD I ran a 1/2 marathon fitness check, went into the race thinking I wasn't as fast as last Fall and would probably finish in the 1:48 range, but I exceeded my own expectations and even set a new PR of 1:43:13 (by 2 sec over last fall, but hey it counts).  I have my second 20mi coming up Sun (will target same 9:10 pace), then 1 more week of high mileage before my 2 week taper.

Confidence is running high right now, based on my ability to finish my 3 MP runs, the first 20mi and my fitness check, I'm thinking 3:45 might be a possible A goal (3:50 & 4:00 as B, C)!  Am I completely crazy or does this seem achievable, dare I say even reasonable?

Given how your half went, and if you get your long runs in, i would think you have a very legit short at 3:45! Let us know the good news when it happens.

Turbolegs

A shout out to James who crushed his race with a a 3:40 and pretty much bang on his own target !! Great running James !! You lining up for one more later this year?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes!  3:43:41, PR, BQ-11, 1AG!  The RR is here, if you're interested.