Carb loading before long run? (Read 573 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Do you carb load before a long training run (18 miles-plus)? I didn't used to but found that I was totally wiped out after 2.5-3 hours and reduced to a "survival shuffle", and my training suffered. I'm not talking about a full pre-marathon carb load, just increasing my eating a bit the day before and eating a couple of hours before the run.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Usually I make sure to eat adequately, but do not load. If I have not eaten much all week, I may eat a big meal or two in the days leading up to the long run. My favorite is the all you can eat sushi buffet...carbs and protein and sodium! The only time I ever had trouble was on an icy cold long run during Passover this past Spring...I had eaten very few carbs all week and could take none during my long run while trying to move and keep warm. I suffered there, but maintained a reasonable overall effort.
        I don't ypically for a training long run. I figure if it's a bad run, it will only make the "real long run" (or race) seem that much easier and better! Probably not a very healthy strategy, though.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado