'Chocolate' candy? (Read 801 times)

Former runner

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=5689239 One more reason to check the labels of the stuff you buy in the store.

Ross

From the article "The Cocoa Question While a "handful" of the company's products do include vegetable oils other than cocoa butter, he said, "we continue to make Hershey's, Hershey's Kisses, Reese's peanut butter cups with pure milk chocolate as we have for over a century." Ingredients for Whatchamacallit bars include palm kernel and soybean oil and may also include sunflower or safflower oil, according to the candy's wrapper. That defense -- that there are Hershey's products that still contain pure milk chocolate -- isn't enough for Leitner. "To me, shaving out the cocoa butter in the less-popular products kind of says that if you like Whatchamacallit [candy bars] you're less deserving of quality ingredients than say, someone who likes Reese's cups," she said." This last line really stood out to me NOT AS DESERVING? Wow, people have an interesting way of viewing these things. I smell Watchamacallit lovers of America class action discrimination suit If you are that attached to your favorite candy bar, there may be bigger issues to deal with, IMO

Former runner

Someone brought in some cookies to our office recently and I noticed that the package label used the term "Manufactured by..." instead of being baked. Shocked I can't say I've had a Whatchamacallit bar in a while. I've been buying Lindt 70% cocoa bars lately. One bar will last me a whole week. Tongue

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the past couple of years it seems that more higher-end chocolates have become more readily available everywhere...so I have been much more apt to spend a bit more for better quality chocolate like Lindt (their Lindor truffles are really stuffed with crack--I am certain of it) and Toblerone. Now when I go back to the run-of-the-mill American chocolates I've enjoyed them a lot less than I did a few years back. I thought it was just that I'd gotten spoiled by the premium chocolates, but now I wonder if it's as much due to changes in quality...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

Ok, now we're talkin'! Chocolate, mmmm. My only vice. Anybody else like the Ritter Sport chocolates? I think they're German - they are, bar none, my favorite. Lindt's good too.

Fat runner

Ritter Sport is great, but don't forget Toblerone for hills work! Big grin
              Goals:
              Get weight down from 124kg to 100kg (currently 110kg)
              Survive 1st 10k: 7/09/08 1:01:36 - Second 10k 5/10/08 57:42
              Survive 1st HM: 26/10/08 2:06:04
              Must find new goals ...

Former runner

Second that on the Ritter Sport. Blush I wish I could find some in my town. The last time I found some was at the airport.

Ross

pitrunner

Second that on the Ritter Sport. Blush I wish I could find some in my town. The last time I found some was at the airport.
                  Ritter Sport with the hazelnuts are heaven on earth. Yummm. I can usually make one of those last 2 weeks. I'm a candy hoarder.* *Unless it's free candy that someone has brought into the office - in that case I can eat until my stomach hurts.

50 halfs by age 50

For the past several years, Hershey's chocolates have seemed waxy and bland to me. However, locally I can find: AND FINALLY

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

A Saucy Wench

For the past several years, Hershey's chocolates have seemed waxy and bland to me. However, locally I can find:
                      I find the Dagoba Xocatl not nearly as yummy as the Moonstruck Chile Variado. The Moonstruck flavors really shine through

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

50 halfs by age 50

I find the Dagoba Xocatl not nearly as yummy as the Moonstruck Chile Variado. The Moonstruck flavors really shine through
                        I hadn't heard of Moonstruck before but checked out their website....mmmmmmmm! They mention chocolate cafes that sound really fabulous. We went to one in Chicago that I can't recall the name, but it was amazing. Thanks for the tip! I've been getting some fun stuff at SuperTarget. They have a lot of neat Lindt flavors. I haven't seen the fig one, but the cherry/chili is really good. I picked this up at Richard's Whole Foods but haven't tried it yet: I think I like 'exotic' (DH says weird) flavors.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

12-week layoff

I have tried the strawberry and pepper chocolate. It's good...but also very ususual. If anyone has a World Market in their town, they carry a lot of exoctic chocolates. You wouldn't think to look there...
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Walgreens carries a Lindt Creme Brulée bar that is my complete downfall. Shit, and I have an allergy meds refill that I need to go do today. I have no will around that candy bar. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay