recommnendations for high arches (Read 41 times)

tahunua001

hello all,

first post here.

I'm a larger fellow, 215 pounds and normally wear 12EEEE shoes and have extremely high arches. I rather enjoy the ASICS Nimbus 18 but supposedly the new lines of Nimbus are much smaller and even the 4E models are thinner. are there any better suited choices or other options? saucony tends to get good reviews but I haven't found any in 4E.

You can just buy some insoles designed for high arches and use them in any shoe you want.

Superfeet Green are pretty popular. There are other brands, all in the $20-50 range. They last longer than 3-4 pairs of shoes.

Add a little half circle or two of foam under the stock insole at the arch to raise it a bit (these are available at most drug stores).

Buy some socks that have a lot of support (elastic) at the arch. Fotsok ISW, Smartwool PhD, HUSO, Balega.

My arches are so high that my wet footprint has NOTHING between the heel and the ball of my foot. I like the feel of something snugged against my arches, but the rigid insoles that don't allow my arch to flex much become painful after 4-5 miles. I think the arch needs to be able to move, otherwise you may develop other injury issues because your body is being prevented from doing what it's designed to do. With that in mind, I also think the less the arch is allowed to flex upon impact (like a leaf spring), the more cushion you need in your shoes. I wore Hoka Stinson with Sole "Dean Karnazes" insoles when I had PF, and that allowed my to continue to run until I healed up.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

if you want a good insole that matches the shape/contour of your arch with some good support that also allows your foot some flexibility my vote would be for the Sole brand.   the 3 colors are all the same as far the shape/height of the arch. how they differ is only the thickness.  so you just need to try each & go  with whichever one fits in your shoe best.  they have different "volume" because of the thickness.  for a running shoe most likely it would be the middle or thinnest one.  the blue is usually for ski boots or heavier/stiffer  hiking boots & way too much volume for a running shoe..   The Sole insole is moldable by wearing them or the quick oven method which only takes 3-4 minutes.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have high arches. Over the years i have gone back and forth wearing arch supports.

Are you having pain while running

I am around 210 right now.

You got me thinking about trying them again.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Liberty Runner

I wore Asics Nimbus for years then switched to Brooks Glycerin for about 5 years.  I always purchased two pairs of running shoes and alternated so they dry out.  My distance varies between 60-90 miles per month or 30-45 miles per pair.  Both shoes advocate cushion and high arch support but I was feeling a lot of pain in my hip, feet and lower legs even after 6 months of use.  I also tried insoles for a while.

I am in my late 50's, 6'1" and 190#.

About two years ago, I visited a local running store and brought in my Brooks Glycerins.  The clerk was good and examined the shoes.  He suggested I try zero drop running shoes. I laced up Altra Instincts and also Hoka One Cliftons.  I ran up and down the sidewalk in front of store and purchase the Altra shoes because the design has a wider toe box.

Zero drop shoes mimic natural feet.  Meaning, the heal is not elevated off the ground which affects the way your body operates.  Do some research and give them a try.  I was surprised with how well my body feels.  I also recommend stretching before and after your run.  I am pain and injury free at the moment.