How long is "long?" (aka "How soon we forget!") (Read 915 times)

Just for kicks, I was going through my list of workouts tonight. I sorted by type and found "long" because I thought I'd look at how my times were for long runs. Something jumped out at me right away - I had some 3 and 4 mile runs typed as "long." Huh? I'd just gotten back from a long run of a little over 9 miles today. I'd meant it to be 10 miles, but... um... I got lost and ended up running a different route. Wink ANYWAY, that seems "long" to me right now. A part of me knows that other people call 15 or 20 mile runs long, but 9 - 10 is "long" to me. And 3 or 4 is short! But here are these entries, clearly labeled "long" that have distances of 3 and 4 miles on them! I look at the dates. April... May... Oh. Was that really "long" back then? I think it was... but it's really kinda fuzzy! So, in the last 6 months, not only have my "long" runs gotten significantly longer, my whole definition of what is "long" and what is "short" has changed. I haven't really gotten any faster, but I sure run a lot more! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Princess Cancer Pants

Back in June my "long" runs were 5 miles...now they've progressed to 13. Pretty much I categorize my longest run each week as my long run--funny how relative that is, LOL! After the HM my "long" runs will probably go back to 10-12 miles/run. Smile k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

It works the other way too - as in, how short is too short to be worth it. A couple years ago, 3 miles was about all I ran. Nowadays, if I only have time for 3-4 miles, it's hard to get motivated cuz it doesn't seem like I'm even doing anything. Another of those c-team happy moments. Improvement comes so easy. It's going to be sorta sad when that eventually stops happening.
        E-mail: JakeKnight2002@aol.com
        -----------------------------

Princess Cancer Pants

It works the other way too - as in, how short is too short to be worth it. A couple years ago, 3 miles was about all I ran. Nowadays, if I only have time for 3-4 miles, it's hard to get motivated cuz it doesn't seem like I'm even doing anything. Another of those c-team happy moments. Improvement comes so easy. It's going to be sorta sad when that eventually stops happening.
          Yep...for me I don't want to do anything under 5 miles for a "short" run. It takes me 1.5-2 miles just to feel warmed-up. k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown