Body Glide "issue" (Read 1403 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...my last 2 sticks of Body Glide have done a rather annoying thing. Once I get to about the last inch of product it pops off of the base, making it impossible to use it without holding the chunk of Body Glide to apply it--using the applicator is little more than a storage device. That crap is hard to wash off from one's hands, too...and it tends to get stuck in the cap. So I've been tossing perfectly good chunks of BG in the trash...at $8 a stick I'm throwing away at least $2 worth of the stuff. This was never a problem with earlier sticks, just the most recent two I've bought within the last year. Did they change their packaging in some way that anyone's aware of? Am I the only one who has had this issue with recent sticks?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've recently had a similar problem where chunks of the product break off while I'm applying the stick. Perhaps there has been a change in the formulation or packaging, or perhaps I have just been more aggressive about slapping the stuff on. If the broken-off chucks haven't gotten (too) dirty, I have been pretty successful at jamming them back into the container and getting it to hold together. If you think about it, its kind of a design paradox: you want the product to dramatically reduce surface friction when applied to the body, yet hold together firmly when still in the package.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

C-R

If you think about it, its kind of a design paradox: you want the product to dramatically reduce surface friction when applied to the body, yet hold together firmly when still in the package.
        Berner - is this the Steven Wright question - "if nothing sticks to teflon then how can they get it to stick to the pan." Eccho berner - I've just jammed the pieces together and hoped it would hold. Alternatively, I am hopeful that my body will change enough by running to eliminate chaffing altogether - sort of an evolution thing. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Berner - is this the Steven Wright question - "if nothing sticks to teflon then how can they get it to stick to the pan." Eccho berner - I've just jammed the pieces together and hoped it would hold. Alternatively, I am hopeful that my body will change enough by running to eliminate chaffing altogether - sort of an evolution thing. Big grin
          Ha, ditto all of that! In the meantime I think I will be doing compression shorts for runs and races longer than a HM--that seems to be the point when the Body Glide fails and my inner thighs get angry (and I totally forgot to apply it under my arms and actually drew a little blood--that felt good when the salty sweat hit the open wounds...NOT). Though I'm not sure weight loss will help. Even when I was a 124# size 2 I had issues. Blush Undecided

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Get a tube of chamois butter for cyclists. I like that stuff alot better.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

and I totally forgot to apply it under my arms and actually drew a little blood--that felt good when the salty sweat hit the open wounds...NOT\
              Yikes - never experienced the arm burn. I learned much like most runners the benefits of surgical tape applied to certain chest areas. Nothing worse than hitting the shower with one of those battle wounds. A new level of pain to HTFU. DW does think it funny and usually tells me to stuff it between laughs and reminds me of her nursing 3 kids. I wear compression shorts for all my runs over 18. They work great for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I had that happen too. That's why I switched to vaseline which is way cheaper anyway.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Get a tube of chamois butter for cyclists. I like that stuff alot better.
                  DH actually uses that on his chamois...I should really give that a try. Funny, he actually likes Sport Wax better and I didn't think that stuff worked well at all. Vaseline--nuh uh. That stuff stains.

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I've never had good luck with Vaseline. It all ends up on my clothes and doesnt stay on my skin well. So far my bodyglide hasnt fallen apart. knock wood

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich runner

DH actually uses that on his chamois...I should really give that a try. Funny, he actually likes Sport Wax better and I didn't think that stuff worked well at all. Vaseline--nuh uh. That stuff stains.
                      It served me well today on my accidental 15 miler (it was going to be my long run at 10 miles). The buttered places are the only things that don't hurt.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I had that happen too. That's why I switched to vaseline which is way cheaper anyway.
                        In the hopes of saving some money and finding something that would last longer then Body Glide, I tried Bag Balm. I just bought my second can, only $8.00 and the first can lasted over 4 months. Haven't had any prblems on runs (up to 26 miles) or bike rides (up to 45 miles).
                          Old school solution, take two fallen out chunks and smash together, put back in container. At least then you'll only throw out one chunk. Does that make sense? Confused

http://www.runningnotes.net

Another Passion

Just a note on the Body Glide... everyone that has experienced problems with the product's packaging should e-mail whoever the company is that produces it. They may not even be aware that there is an issue with it from a quality control aspect. They'd probably end up sending you some coupons too for taking the time to let them know of the problem you have experienced with their product. They can't do anything about a problem that they are not aware of... if that is the case here. Just my $0.02.

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just a note on the Body Glide... everyone that has experienced problems with the product's packaging should e-mail whoever the company is that produces it. They may not even be aware that there is an issue with it from a quality control aspect. They'd probably end up sending you some coupons too for taking the time to let them know of the problem you have experienced with their product. They can't do anything about a problem that they are not aware of... if that is the case here. Just my $0.02.
                              That's good advice, Rick. I think I will do that--especially since I have had 2 sticks that have done this, now. If it had been just the one I'd chalk it up to a bad one.

~ Sarah Kay

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Vaseline--nuh uh. That stuff stains.
                                Really? I've never had that happen.