Just Started Running after 5 years, and back surgery 4 months ago! (Read 1444 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the advice. I just updated my runs and as you can see I have backed off some and added more rest. I agree with the to much to soon, my legs were feeling dead. But I am going to try and stick with about 15-20 miles a week for a month or so and start to increase when the weather starts to cool off some.
    I was just looking at your log this morning, wondering what'd happened to you and if you were still running. Good to see you back!

Roads were made for journeys...

MadandCase

Fat Man Running, Can you tell me a little about your back surgery? I injured my back @ 9 years ago and I somehow re-injured it on Friday. Getting up out of a chair!!!! This is the 1st time I aggravated it in 2 years. Basically, I have a protruding disc and a bulging disc (L8 &9). The last thing I want to do is have surgery. I'm curious about your back issues as it may have some relevance to my situation. Also, running will be on hold for the time being until my discs go back in. Thanks, Jon
        Thanks everyone! And sorry for the delay in posting, I went to Tampa for a week and between getting my kids ready for school and taking them to the pool I have been behind. I just ran today for 3.5 miles in HUMID conditions, I think I lost 3 lbs of water in 30 min! Anyway as for the surgery I had ruptured disks at levels L5-S1 and L4 with nerve damage to my right leg causing foot drop. It was during the MRI Of my spine that they discovered I also had a large tumor, they could not operate on my spine due to the tumor after the tumor was removed I had the back surgery in January of 06. I have come a long way and it was not easy but I will keep on truckin! Smile
        What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

You are so awesome! Smile

Just updated my log, and today I ran with my new Garmin Forerunner 305! SWEET! 7.75 miles, I love that thing Big grin
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Lookin' good! Have you thought about maybe switching over to three days/wk instead of continually upping your milage on your two runs? I don't know if you're doing other exercises or not that aren't showing up on your calendar, but if you're not, you may want to consider # of days/wk as well as length of each run. Enjoy! Janell

vicentefrijole

Nice job,FMR! I've been watching you progress (as you add entries to this forum) and it's pretty damn inspiring! The Forerunner 305 is excellent, isn't it? I just ran with mine today... it adds a whole new level of 'entertainment' (for lack of a better word) to my runs... I ran some hills with it the other day and it was cool to see my heart rate shoot up (didn't feel so cool, though).
                  Yes, it is cool. And your right about the hills Big grin As for the other post about number of days, I try and run at least 2 days a week and want to up it to 3-4 days. On the other days I hit the gym about 2 days a week and do light weight training, I seem to have "trained" my back to running, but it still gives me problems with lifting and bending.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Bernie - Are you going to be joining us this month in the "virtual" race? There's a new group for it under "training groups." Janell

I just finshed the race! I ran 5 miles in 53:17, it was a Blast! And the entire 5 miles I had a vision of Zoom Zoom's rear end in front of me, I could never catch it bit it was fun trying! Big grin
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I just finshed the race! I ran 5 miles in 53:17, it was a Blast! And the entire 5 miles I had a vision of Zoom Zoom's rear end in front of me, I could never catch it bit it was fun trying! Big grin
                        LOL!!! Congrations!
                          Thank you very much!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And the entire 5 miles I had a vision of Zoom Zoom's rear end in front of me, I could never catch it bit it was fun trying! Big grin
                            Bwahahaha...that's a compliment, right?! Big grin Glad your race went so well! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Of course it is! Thats why I ran my best time, trying to catch you! Wink
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tell ya', I still want to order that funny turtle logo on a racing singlet one of these days... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay