2008 Mt. Washington Road Race (Read 500 times)

corrade

Valet Parking

Anyone win the Lottery? Any mountain goats out there? I'm curious how others will train for this race. I bypassed as a goat and have been gearing my training for it since January. My run logging includes elevation gain now so I can slowly increase, set weekly goals. With a challenge like Mt. Washington I'm sure to just get myself hurt without some structure. Mapped out some trips to real hills since there's nothing steep more than a mile long nearby. Greylock, Ascutney both have good paved climbs, looking for more within reach of the Amherst area. Lottery winners at - http://www.gsrs.com/intherace.htm

I'm in. I got in last year but couldn't run due to injury so I was able to bypass this year. You being a Mt Goat, I should be asking you how to train. I've only run Mt W once, two years ago. It was one of my favorite races of all time. Weather could have had something to do with that though. It was sunny and 50 on top, no wind. Had it been raining, windy and cold, I probably would not have liked it quite as much. If you have access to a treadmill, it probably wouldn't hurt to do some workouts so that you can get accustomed to running uphill for more than a mile at a time.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
      corrade

Valet Parking

I have actually never run on a treadmill. A great course to train on is Ascutney Mtn. in Windsor, VT. The road is just as steep as Mt. Washington and half as long. This is a couple hours from me, so I'm googling Mountains and trying to find other long roads, using the AMC New England's Highest Peaks list. Looking for things closer, and for variety. To help structure my training I've been logging my vertical climb per week. This month ranged from 2100' to 4300'. Most of my runs are hills now, and I'm finding I need a break. So I want to do fewer but taller climbs for the next three months. Life's logistics don't really permit me to get more complex than that in my training, but I'd love to hear what sort of hill repeats are helpful for Mt. Washington or other 'real training strategies.