Shin compression wrap: crap or useful? (Read 1098 times)

http://www.activeforever.com/p-1991-pro-tec-shin-splint-compression-wrap.aspx?source=positiontech I have been dealing with shin splints for a while now. I've done a lot of things to help decrease the problems. I am wondering if this is a useful tool I can put in my toolbox or if I will be wasting money. I have a pretty good idea about stretching and other things. But specific to this (or similar) kind of equipment... is it worth having?

I have posterior shin splint issues and chronically tight shin/calf muscles. I tried a similar technique (I used an ace bandage, but same idea as the compression wrap) and it didn't help me much. Recently had a PT appt and am getting some custom orthotics. She gave me some good information about how my tight leg muscles were exacerbating my already severe pronation, etc. If you haven't seen a PT, I'd recommend doing so. She was miles better than the podiatrist I saw for the same problem. Good luck.
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri
      sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I have posterior shin splint issues and chronically tight shin/calf muscles. I tried a similar technique (I used an ace bandage, but same idea as the compression wrap) and it didn't help me much. Recently had a PT appt and am getting some custom orthotics. She gave me some good information about how my tight leg muscles were exacerbating my already severe pronation, etc. If you haven't seen a PT, I'd recommend doing so. She was miles better than the podiatrist I saw for the same problem. Good luck.
        I agree! Two weeks ago I had anterior shin splints which I thought were going to force me to stop training. I tried wearing compression wraps while running and walking, but they didn't make a difference. I already wear custom orthotics and have been told repeatedly that I have very tight posterior muscles. Then I started doing a few things which made a big difference: 1) Toe taps while sitting at my desk at work. Not even with weights, just flex my toes upwards until I feel a slight burn in my shins. 2) Using The Stick. Last weekend at a fitness expo I stopped at The Stick booth to ask advice on how to roll out the knot in my calves. He showed me a good technique which is to sit in a chair with your heel elevated against the leg of the chair, so your calf is in a more relaxed state, then slowly and firmly roll the stick over the knot, repeating every 1.5 hours throughout the day. I did that all weekend and the knot was gone by Monday. 3) Seeing a PT! In addition to a massage of my calf muscles he recommended a daily regimen of foam rolling my hamstrings, ITBs, quads, inside calves and outside calves 25X each. After a few days I feel like all the tightness is gone from my posterior muscles. But in addition to this, I've been icing my shins after each run, and continue to do so. This seems to offer only temporary relief.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

I have something similar, except that it is just stretchy... no velcro straps. It works really well for me. I also do the toe taps mentioned previously and I make sure that I stretch my calves well after runs. To make sure that all areas of my calves get stretched, I do a regular stretch, then bend my knee so I feel it more in the front for a while. Here's what I use: http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=83&DEPARTMENT_ID=74&gclid=COutlpvkrpYCFQOuFQodJWoyMA

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

12-week layoff

I had a problem with shin splints years ago. I underwent PT, got fitted by an expert shoe guy, (I still wear the exact shoes he recommended, 10 years later) and wrapped my shins with ace bandages. I couldn't stop running because I was coaching cross country, and needed to run with the kids. OK, I could have ridden my bike, but I had a running jones. Still do. Anyway, my shins got better. If it was the shoes, the PT, the bandages, or the combination therof, I got better. Later, I added orthotics, and have had no problems since. Seems like wrapping might fit into the category of might help, shouldn't hurt. But don't wrap too tightly...I just did a light wrap. Good luck!