Running and Spirituality (Read 1233 times)

To those of you who have an interest in these two aspects of life, have you found ways to integrate them? If so, I'd greatly appreciate any insights including, but not limited to, what you listen to on the run.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The voice of mile 18

a good trail run without music is better than therapy and/or church. just quiet time to think/reflect quietly and if the hills are good - lots of suffering

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

mb1973

To me, besides church, I feel closer to God during my runs more than anytime else...I converse, pray, sing...I will listen to upbeat Christian music on some of my runs....It's good to be on good terms with the big guy during 20 milers...
          To me, besides church, I feel closer to God during my runs more than anytime else...I converse, pray, sing...I will listen to upbeat Christian music on some of my runs....It's good to be on good terms with the big guy during 20 milers...
          What artists/tracks do you find most helpful?

mb1973

Casting Crowns, Kutless, Jeremy Camp, Switchfoot, etc...There are also a lot of indie christian rockers on emusic...
              a good trail run without music is better than therapy and/or church. just quiet time to think/reflect quietly and if the hills are good - lots of suffering
              Thanks, Joe. Suffering is always a good, sobering thing. People often emphasize the euphoria associated with the runner's high, but I think suffering is even more valuable.

Non ducor, duco.

I sometimes test my memory by saying scripture. All that memorywork as a child really worked. Of course, I also try to recall funny movie lines.
                  What artists/tracks do you find most helpful?
                  Van Halen Running with the Devil Wink

The Greatest of All Time

Damn!
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      I sometimes test my memory by saying scripture. All that memorywork as a child really worked. Of course, I also try to recall funny movie lines.
                      I am not sure I can recall enough (yet?) to fill even a modest long run...
                      I think the Dead had a song involving that fellow. Jerry was saying something about a friend of his...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Running is my spirituality.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Non ducor, duco.

try First Corinthians 13. If I speak with the tongues of men but have not love... Just jot it down on a piece of paper and on your run see how much you can remember. You'd be surprised how easy it is to do. You can do the Declaration too...when in the course of human events.... or Shakespeare...tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.....
                            I could be called areligious. I was raised without much thought given to religion and continue to live that way now well into my 30s. To be clear, I don't have a problem with organized religions, it's just that I'm drawn, in any way, towards them. In essence, I'm indifferent. Given that background, spirituality probably means something different to me than it does to religious adherents. Running makes me feel relaxed and calm. I'm somewhat introspective and analytical as it is, and running certainly encourages that aspect of my personality for a while. I certainly feel more in tune with my environment while running. I guess I feel more a part of the world, more of a sense of place and well being, and less alienated from nature. The nagging minor troubles that’s are apart of everyday slip away, and I enjoy the simple and meditative pursuit of putting one foot in front of the other while listening to the pattern of my breath. After a couple miles, typically, I become less burdened by thought. At this point my run truly turns meditative, and I think of almost nothing at all. To put it more vernacularly, running clears my head. Is that spiritual? Perhaps.
                              Running makes me feel relaxed and calm. I'm somewhat introspective and analytical as it is, and running certainly encourages that aspect of my personality for a while. I certainly feel more in tune with my environment while running. I guess I feel more a part of the world, more of a sense of place and well being, and less alienated from nature. The nagging minor troubles that’s are apart of everyday slip away, and I enjoy the simple and meditative pursuit of putting one foot in front of the other while listening to the pattern of my breath. After a couple miles, typically, I become less burdened by thought. At this point my run truly turns meditative, and I think of almost nothing at all. To put it more vernacularly, running clears my head. Is that spiritual? Perhaps.
                              Interesting. I am a church-goer and yet agree with every word of the above. That was really helpful. Thank you. Incidentally, I also found your post on running a marathon as an achievement versus running as a long-term lifestyle helpful and it played a big part in my decision to switch from a full marathon to a half as my first race.

Non ducor, duco.

I reread this and realized I made a huge assumption in my answer that you were speaking about Christianity. I didnt mean to be myopic. Sorry!