Hydration (Read 533 times)

One hears or reads here daily that we need to stay hydrated before during and after runs/races. None more so than a diabetic. Hydration for a diabetic helps the body regulate blood sugar by flushing out the excess. And there in lies the problem for us. In a Foxworthy moment: If your idea of an all nighter is sleeping through the night without needing to get up and pee……………..You might be a diabetic! Actually it is a double edged problem for us diabetics. We must take in carbs to fuel the body during the run or race or risk becoming hypoglycemic AND we must remain hydrated or risk heat related problems. Now the idea is to run and not stand in line waiting to pee, nor needing EMT and sugared soda etc. So how do we reach that 3 sided balance, between fuel, hydration and NOT needing to pee?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When you are a type II diabetic, your body can process blood glucose, just not as well as people without diabetes. This is especially true when exercising. You should be able to tolerate sugar-containing drinks and energy suppliments while running far better than while you are not running. Try it in training: check you blood sugar before a run, then run while taking in gatorade, then check again after your run. You will likely not see much rise in your blood sugar. If you do, then that means your exertion is more aerobic and you are burning a higher ratio of fat to sugars, in which case you do not need as many calories while running.
        That I understand. Have a huge plate of pasta then and hour later go run and the BG is normal (for T2 anyway) My wife says I am cheating when I do that. Sometimes I don't even bother checking my BG after a 2 miler. But running say a HM is bound make me need to change things around a little. So far my longest run is 5K and no real problem. But a HM? I think I'll be doing some runing drinking and sticking on my longer runs looking for that balance

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I have a friend with type I who ran a marathon a while ago. It took her forever - like 6+ hours (which, for the record, is way better than me given a marathon isnt even on my long-term radar!!!) which she said was more of a challenge than folks she knew who were faster. She checked her sugars every 30 mins or so and carried insulin for her pump (her fanny pack was her best friend that year!) as well as taking fluids on most runs. I dont remember specifically what she drank or ate. She said it took a while in training to figure out what she needed when, but she did it and had no probs race day. And she loved every moment of it!
            Good for her!! ADA Mag did an article about a T1 that is running better than 120 mile weeks. But T1 has different needs than T2. I think seriously that I'll need to check my BG on my longer runs and track the readings against food intake and sports drinks, then balance it frm there. Going over my limits is not really my fear as long as it is not WAY over. But lows? SCARY!!!You know something is wrong but if it is a bad low you reach a point where you just can't figure out what is wrong. From there things can get bad in a hurry. LISTEN to your body is RULE 1