Chicago Polar Dash - Cancelled/Rescheduled (Read 1754 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

It seems the city of Chicago nor the race organizers have publicly confirmed this, but a few pacers and volunteers are reporting that they have cancelled the 1/14/2012 Polar Dash. It appears that they are trying to line up commitments for next weekend to reschedule, but again no confirmation.

This is funny, the Polar Dash cancelled on account of snow?

Better yet they have a quote on their face book page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/ChicagoPolarDash?sk=info

Half Marathon, 10k & 5K on Jan. 14th. The Inaugural Chicago Polar Dash! "There is no bad weather, only soft people" Bill Bowerman

This is a nice racket, they have a no refund policy with regards to weather. Thousands of runners x too expensive a fee; priceless.

I feel for the runners.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

it states this on the official website

"The Polar Dash Half Marathon and 10K will be a fun and frosty adventure.  At our inaugural Polar Dash in Chicago, runners will be in the mood to get 2012 started on the right foot with a good, old fashioned winter race!  Because in Chicago we run outside YEAR 'ROUND!"

I ran 2009 and 2010 in MN and weather was snow/icy roads and below zero temps.  We did just fine.

anneb

I did receive this email from Soldier Field Parking:

Greetings!

You have recently made a purchase with Click and Park for the Polar Dash at Soldier Field.

We have been notified that per the event organizers, the Polar Dash is being postponed by one week.

Therefore, this event will now take place on Saturday, 1/21, instead of 1/14

This will not affect the validity of your existing permit.

As always, you can contact us directly at:

866-330-PARK (7275)
        info@clickandpark.com

Safe travels and enjoy the event!

So far nothing from the race...nice!

Anne

The "official hotel" on their site is also offering to move reservations!

DoppleBock

My guess is it is something other than the weather causing the re-schedule

Maybe WG wanted another week to get into shape - I hear she has a lot of pull there.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The website now has RACE POSTPONED in the introductory video window, and if you click on it, you see:

We are sorry to announce that the Chicago Polar Dash has been RESCHEDULED to next Saturday, January 21st, 2012.
              Because of impending weather conditions, the Chicago Police, concerned for the public safety of Polar Dash runners, have deemed the race for this weekend "critically unsafe" and will not allow the race to take place.

There's a bit more info below that.

There is no bad weather, only soft people.

Kalsarikännit

My guess is it is something other than the weather causing the re-schedule

Maybe WG wanted another week to get into shape - I hear she has a lot of pull there.

No way, Jose.  You won't catch me racing on the lakefront.  I don't want to race in the exact same spot where I do every one of my training runs, plus racing on a two person wide bikepath generally stinks.

The weather isn't supposed to be too awful, but I suppose the cops don't want their officers risking frostbite while standing around for hours directing traffic around a bunch of silly joggers.

Besides, if I was ever to do a winter half on the lakefront it would be the F'ing Freezing Frozen Lake Half.  They have a pic of Blago in their logo and a medal that doubles as a beer bottle opener.  That screams quality.

F^3 Medal

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's an awesome medal.  Blago, um...

DoppleBock

It would be special if you always wore that medal ~ Never know when you might have to open a beer ... Always ~ Special 

No way, Jose.  You won't catch me racing on the lakefront.  I don't want to race in the exact same spot where I do every one of my training runs, plus racing on a two person wide bikepath generally stinks.

The weather isn't supposed to be too awful, but I suppose the cops don't want their officers risking frostbite while standing around for hours directing traffic around a bunch of silly joggers.

Besides, if I was ever to do a winter half on the lakefront it would be the F'ing Freezing Frozen Lake Half.  They have a pic of Blago in their logo and a medal that doubles as a beer bottle opener.  That screams quality.

F^3 Medal

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

~ Never know when you might have to open a beer 

That's why I have teeth, duh.

xor

All I know is that I have to fly through ORD tomorrow to get to Houston.

Somebody fix me up so I don't get stuck.

Mahalo

Imminent Catastrophe

All I know is that I have to fly through ORD tomorrow to get to Houston.

Somebody fix me up so I don't get stuck.

Mahalo

Could be worse. Could be MDW. (Shudder).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Could be worse. Could be MDW. (Shudder).

Say more about this, Captain Russ.  (I'm completely sincere and curious.  Wassup with Midway.  I've never flown there).

Kalsarikännit

My two cents:  I love Midway.  I fly in and out of there more often than I do ORD, even though it takes me a bit longer to get there.  That is mainly because they have Southwest, but I find that it is so much easier to get around because of its size and the security lines move much faster.