First RA Race Report - and Marathon Pace Advice (please!) (Read 419 times)

So yesterday I ran a final 10K tune-up race as called for by my trusty Bob Glover marathon training schedule - I'm running the Providence, RI marathon in 2 weeks. Part 1: Yesterday's race The 10K I ran was the Shawn D. Patterson Memorial Road Race in Scituate, MA. I haven't been to Scituate before - it's very pretty (I want to live there now!). Arrived nice and early to register and found it well organized and the weather was about perfect: 52F and sunny. There was a fun run + a 5K + the 10K, so the whole field was probably 300-400, of which about 150 were doing the 10K. I started about 1/3 of the way back through the crowd and straight away found myself passing more people than were passing me - my plan was to go out in < 7="" minute="" miles="" and="" hang="" on="" in="" there="" at="" that="" pace="" for="" the="" whole="" race.="" the="" last="" time="" i="" ran="" a="" 10k="" was="" a="" few="" years="" ago="" and="" i="" was="" keen="" to="" soundly="" beat="" my="" pr="" of="" 43:51,="" especially="" because="" -="" in="" 2004="" -="" i'd="" run="" that="" />exact time twice within a couple of months! I got to the first mile marker at 6:40 feeling good and under control. This was going to be easy, right? The next mile was a little harder (6:50) but everything was still good. There was a handful of guys ahead of me who I was slowly gaining on. I caught them during mile 3 (7:07 - can you see a pattern emerging?) but began to find it dificult to keep up with them. I hung on to them through mile 4 (7:03) but then they slowly drifted away from me. Over the last 2-3 miles, the course seemed to consist of hill after hill after hill. I passed a couple of guys who were obviously enjoying the hills even less than I was, but felt myself slowing and struggling to keep going at all. Mile 5 was the slowest yet (7:17) and after that it really was a battle to keep moving. I couldn't even seem to pick it up on the long awaited downhills! Mile 6 finished with what seemed like an almighty long hill. I'm sure - in retrospect - that it wasn't that bad, but it felt it. I rounded that mile off in 7:21. What was worse was that the last 1/4 mile - normally a lung-bursting sprint to the finish - was instead a painful slog, until I crossed the line in 43:46. A 5 second PR, but hard won and not much fun. (Which was my fault, not the race organizers' or the course itself - I'd recommend it as a well organized race on a pleasant, scenic course) Excuses / lessons learned include (a) know where the hills are - going out fast and hanging on isn't a brilliant idea if the second half of the race is mainly uphills! and (b) maybe don't go for a 3 hour hike the day before a race, though I'm not sure if that actually made any difference. Part 2: Marathon pace advice (please) As I mentioned, I'm running a marathon in 2 weeks. It's my second one ever and my first one (this time last year) was somewhat spoiled by an injury that meant I hardly ran for the 5 weeks before the big day. I ran the first 22 miles at roughly 8:50/mile before hitting the wall and struggling through the last 4 to finish in 3:58. My training's gone better this time around, though I did suffer a minor injury that meant I missed two of the four key 20-mile long runs in my schedule. Boo. Still, I did the last two (at about 9:00/mile) and they were OK. I also did several build up races: Yesterday: 10K in 43:46 2 weeks ago: HM in 1:38 (OK, this was actually on a treadmill but it was a race effort) 5 weeks ago: HM in 1:41 2 months ago: 5M in 35:20 According to Bob Glover's book, these times all predict marathon times of between 3:26 and 3:37. However, I've only done two 20-mile runs (plus a reasonable number of 13 - 16 milers). Is that a sufficient handicap that I should be aiming for more modest goal? I'd love to run 3:30 but I'd really, really hate to start at that pace and suffer a tortuous and slow last few miles. What do you think? Have any of you been in a similar situation - i.e. missed out on a couple of long run workouts and tackled your marathon anyway? Any advice much appreciated.
    JakeKnight

Great race and report! As for the marathon pace, I'll take a quick guess. From what I see, it's not the missed long runs that might be a problem, depending on how you felt doing them. Obviously you know that those pace calculators assume you're trained for the distance, and - for me at least - its the base that's the most important thing, even more than the long runs. In other words, if you'd been average 50 mpw for the last several months and missed a couple long runs, I'd think you were fine. Probably better than fine. But your log shows you only averaging 20-30 miles per week. And that's a lot more troublesome than the number of 20 milers. A lot of people would have trouble just finishing a marathon at that weekly mileage. Because of the base issue, I'd go conservative and shoot for something slower. Like the 3:37 at the high end of the estimates. Maybe 3:40. Doesn't mean you won't do 3:30 but you could definitely be adding a lot of miles to your training. If you want to run close to your potential, you're going to have to steadily hit at least 40 miles per week.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

What Jake said. Exactly.
          Thanks both of you for your replies, you're clearly right about the mileage (trying to balance training with coming back from injury) and I'm inclined to set out at a 3:40 pace and see how it feels. If I get to 20 miles and still feel good (ha!) then I can always pick it up from there! Thanks again.
          allout88

Yeah i would say that is a good idea. So 3:40 pace is about 8:25 per mile or so, but if you start feeling good at the end...maybe after 23 or 24 miles then give it a good surge and go after it. Going for it after 20 miles..ehhh only if you are walking on sunshine. A lot can happen in 6 miles.
              Nick: Nice report and race. A 43:46 on your mileage is a commendable job. I think you've got the right idea. Start out at 3:40 pace. I disagree with allout. See how you feel at 20, just make sure you do a realistic assessment. You don't have to drop your pace significantly at 20, but if you feel aright pick it up and see how that feels. A slow acceleration over the last 6 miles of a marathon is a beautiful thing.