Preventing weight loss.. (Read 346 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I always run with out eating and I am still fat.

Are you lifting weights.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

FSBD

I used to smoke.  Didn't eat a lot.  Was super skinny.

I now run, eat more, and am less skinny.  I tend to run on an empty stomach too most the time.  I can assure you it doesn't always lead to weight loss if you counteract it with enough food later.

I guess its different for everyone, I quit smoking, started running and lost 30 pounds.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Right now this thread is right next to the "doughnut bacon sandwich" thread in the Recent Topics list.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

A Saucy Wench

Right now this thread is right next to the "doughnut bacon sandwich" thread in the Recent Topics list.

yeah I am guessing that could be the cure.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LuigiG

I always run with out eating and I am still fat.

Are you lifting weights.

Tom, running is the only type of work out I do on an empty stomach, I run 2x a week but I try to be active everyday (compensating for sedentary job AND commute), 1day weights/strength training, Tabata the remaining 2-3days, sometimes sprints. Again, we are all different.

Body Step is  perhaps the most devastatingly effective calorie burning workout I've done on a regular basis.. I wanted to improve my coordination and sense of rhythm... but mainly, it was a ton of fun! And made me eat, eat, eat.  Alas, no longer fits my schedule.

DoppleBock

I can run 100 MPW and still gain weight (fat) ... You just are not focussed enough on Bacon and Doughnuts ... Beer and Brats ... Ice cream and pizza ... Did I mention beer?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LuigiG

I can run 100 MPW and still gain weight (fat) ... You just are not focussed enough on Bacon and Doughnuts ... Beer and Brats ... Ice cream and pizza ... Did I mention beer?

Well, man, let's not neglect Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Pisang Goreng and Kadaif! Can easily up the calories intake by a few 1000's on any of those, no blinking. I actually quite like Dubbelbock, as it's called here, but my favorites are high yeast Belgian 'trappist' ales, e.g. Westmalle 3pl. Not very frequently though, ~ 9%vol or more, that takes its toll...

References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadaif#Kadaif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisang_goreng

DoppleBock

Dopplebock is the 220+ pound weight division at one on my favorite races ... The Point Bock 5 miler ... held at the brewery ... 1st weekend in March.  I have been > 220 pounds at this race, but for prides sake, I sign up for the Big Bock division (200-219).

I am currently enjoying IPAs along with anything else someone put's in my hand.

Well, man, let's not neglect Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Pisang Goreng and Kadaif! Can easily up the calories intake by a few 1000's on any of those, no blinking. I actually quite like Dubbelbock, as it's called here, but my favorites are high yeast Belgian 'trappist' ales, e.g. Westmalle 3pl. Not very frequently though, ~ 9%vol or more, that takes its toll...

References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadaif#Kadaif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisang_goreng

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

There is a British TV program called: Supersize vs Superskinny.

The truth they found out is that superskinnies always don't eat enough. You may add 50% more every meal or eat until you are going to explode.

Actually I have the same problem to keep my weight up. The problem for me is that I often eat about 1800 calories a day instead of 2500 which is probably required when I run. Now I have some nuts and a banana for snack (about 300 calories) between breakfast and lunch and then have a big lunch + an apple and an orange to bulk up.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

LuigiG

@DoppleBock Respect!

@DavidLiu very interesting, thanks for the tip! Too bad it won't play for me right now (geo restrictions), but will eventually see it on dutch tv...

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

Beer seems to do the trick for me ... to prevent any weight loss that is.

Haha! Smile

@LuigiG, go on a high calorie diet. Go crazy on peanut butter, milk, bread... But make it a point to still eat healthy. Smile

Eating a lot after running can be the best way to avoid weight loss and maintain the current weight.

Wing

Joggaholic

I also have trouble maintaining my weight, so I can't say I have a solution, but this is what I'm doing:

1) I drink ensure, usually a bottle every morning (it's 250 to 350 calories)

2) Eat when hungry. I have a tendency to not do that simply because I am too lazy. Making food and eating takes time and is often inconvenient (like in the middle of the night). Having convenient food helps (like banana). (I don't eat a lot of junk food, but I suppose that will help too, although it may cause other issues)

3) When I finish a meal, I think I'm full and I'm done and won't want anymore food, but that's kind of psychological because I won't actually feel differently by much if the portion size is a bit smaller or larger. So I started using bigger plates/bowls (meaning more food).

I just had a physical checkup last week and my doc laughed at me and told me to eat more, so I understand where you are coming from...