Mileage inconsistency (Read 150 times)

I just noticed there's a mileage inconsistency between the summary and the maps.  For my race on Saturday, the summary shows 32.88 miles, which came directly from my Garmin 310XT.  But when I click on the map tab it shows 34.42!  I clicked through several of my workouts and they're all off, but not by as much as this one.  (Most are .05-.2 off).  Not a huge deal, but was wondering if this is some sort of bug.

eric :)

EatDrinkRunWoman,

This is not a bug.  It's due to the formula used to calculate the distance.  You can read more about the difference in this thread: /forums/topic/aa6c080f57f3432d95ade1ad52cde216.

eric Smile

EatDrinkRunWoman,

This is not a bug.  It's due to the formula used to calculate the distance.  You can read more about the difference in this thread: /forums/topic/aa6c080f57f3432d95ade1ad52cde216.

eric Smile

I figured that might be the case; thanks!

P.S.  Is it okay to use the longer mileage so as to feel more of a badass?  Big grin

Regular ass person

I figured that might be the case; thanks!

P.S.  Is it okay to use the longer mileage so as to feel more of a badass?  Big grin

So damn high maintenance!!!

eric :)

If I switch to use the higher value, then I have to explain to other people why their workouts' distances are off from what their GPSes indicate.  My policy has been to honor the distance from the data source, even though that number can supposedly be more precise.  You can always modify the distance afterwards :-)

So damn high maintenance!!!

Shut it Wink

npaden

Interesting.  My runkeeper numbers match up exactly so I guess they are using the more complex formula.

I would guess that the more elevation gain and loss you have on a particular run, the larger the difference between the numbers between the simple and the more complex formula.  Most of my runs are pretty flat so it probably wouldn't make much difference one way or the other.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I would guess that the more elevation gain and loss you have on a particular run, the larger the difference between the numbers between the simple and the more complex formula.  Most of my runs are pretty flat so it probably wouldn't make much difference one way or the other.

Yeah, this run was a particularly steep one with 7,500 feet of elevation gain.