When will I be able to run (Read 87 times)

Earlybirdy

Hi, I’m brand new and just got into running. I’ve been running every morning for two weeks now, but I still can’t run for more than about two minutes straight without stopping to walk. How can I train myself to be able to run at least a full mile without stopping to walk? When will I become a “runner?”

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You may be trying to run to fast.

on your next run start really slow.

i mean so slow you think I could walk faster than this.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Earlybirdy

Thank you! I will definitely try that.

paul2432

If you stick with it you should be able to run a mile soon, maybe 2-4 more weeks.  A good way to get there is to mix running and walking, gradually reducing the walking.  Maybe try 1 minute running, 2 minutes walking 10 times for a week, then 90 second each, then 2/1 etc.  Adjust by how you feel.

Be careful though, in running you develop the fitness to run hard before your bones and muscles and connective tissues develop enough to prevent injury.  This is called too much too soon.  Build up gradually.

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

There's a program called Couch to 5K, sometimes abbreviated C25K. It's a running program designed for raw rookies who are just beginning to run. You can Google either term and you'll get a program that will get you through the first couple of months.

Seriously. Try it. It works.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

There's a program called Couch to 5K, sometimes abbreviated C25K. It's a running program designed for raw rookies who are just beginning to run. You can Google either term and you'll get a program that will get you through the first couple of months.

There's a C25K group here on RA as well. https://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K

You are a runner when you tie up your shoes and go run. It's that simple. You'll develop cardio before your joints/ligaments get used to the impact. When people say run slow, another way to look at it is  conversational pace. If you can't talk while running, you are pushing too much. More than 2-3 words at a time.

You might also not be ready for everyday yet. What was your base fitness like when you started? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Yeah, or walk so fast that it's easier to jog than walk. Start your "run" by walking and speed it up after a minute until it's easier to jog. Then go that fast. That's how I got a friend to "run" who said they couldn't. They walk faster than I do, I just had them walk even faster and then break into a jog, they were shocked at how easy it was, because before they were trying to RUN, not jog.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If you stick with it you should be able to run a mile soon, maybe 2-4 more weeks.  A good way to get there is to mix running and walking, gradually reducing the walking.  Maybe try 1 minute running, 2 minutes walking 10 times for a week, then 90 second each, then 2/1 etc.  Adjust by how you feel.

Be careful though, in running you develop the fitness to run hard before your bones and muscles and connective tissues develop enough to prevent injury.  This is called too much too soon.  Build up gradually.

I agree, I picked up a couple of injuries in my first 3 months of running... too much too soon/over enthusiastic. I would also get into the habit of doing some strength training which will help you stay injury free.

Regarding your question, It sounds to me that you’re running all out...keep the running easy so that you can still hold a conversation and you’ll be running miles in no time Smile

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Earlybirdy

Thanks, that gives me hope! I'll set my goal to 4 weeks

Earlybirdy

Downloaded it!

Earlybirdy

There's a C25K group here on RA as well. https://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K

You are a runner when you tie up your shoes and go run. It's that simple. You'll develop cardio before your joints/ligaments get used to the impact. When people say run slow, another way to look at it is  conversational pace. If you can't talk while running, you are pushing too much. More than 2-3 words at a time.

You might also not be ready for everyday yet. What was your base fitness like when you started? Smile

I usually do exercise daily (usually group fitness classes), but I wanted to replace those with running. I have no injuries so far, but worried it might be a bad idea to keep going every day. When did you start running everyday?

Earlybirdy

Yeah, or walk so fast that it's easier to jog than walk. Start your "run" by walking and speed it up after a minute until it's easier to jog. Then go that fast. That's how I got a friend to "run" who said they couldn't. They walk faster than I do, I just had them walk even faster and then break into a jog, they were shocked at how easy it was, because before they were trying to RUN, not jog.

I think that might be my issue as well. I didn't think of starting out with jogging.

Earlybirdy

I agree, I picked up a couple of injuries in my first 3 months of running... too much too soon/over enthusiastic. I would also get into the habit of doing some strength training which will help you stay injury free.

Regarding your question, It sounds to me that you’re running all out...keep the running easy so that you can still hold a conversation and you’ll be running miles in no time Smile

Thanks, this forum has been really helpful. I was basically sprinting and getting frustrated that I can't keep it up.