Garmin running backwards? (Read 807 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hi guys, I have a Garmin 305 (red if that matters). I went for a long run today and when I got to mile 6, my total distance started decreasing! The time continue to tick forward but I lost distance as I ran. After a while, I stopped looking at it but at some point, the distance increased again. I ended up losing 3 miles. It has happened once before. I thought I was seeing things since it was at the very end of a long run. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't happen consistently so I don't know what the Garmin tech support could do for me.
      Hi guys, I have a Garmin 305 (red if that matters). I went for a long run today and when I got to mile 6, my total distance started decreasing! The time continue to tick forward but I lost distance as I ran. After a while, I stopped looking at it but at some point, the distance increased again. I ended up losing 3 miles. It has happened once before. I thought I was seeing things since it was at the very end of a long run. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't happen consistently so I don't know what the Garmin tech support could do for me.
      Trishierunner had this happen to her last year. I'm pretty sure she had to send it back to the mother ship for repair/replacement.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trishierunner had this happen to her last year. I'm pretty sure she had to send it back to the mother ship for repair/replacement.
        I was just coming to post that. I remember her issue with that. Definitely does not sound like something that would happen if Eric programmed the Garmins! Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I had it happen two or three times...both at the same place which was weird. (Garmin 301) I updated software (from online) and cleared the memory because that was going to be the first thing that Garmin told me to do and it never happened again - but it had not happened frequently before so I dont know if it fixed it or what. Garmin's official stance was "We've never heard of that" This august my beloved 301 died an untimely death being smooshed between van seats on HTC. Cry Oh and both times it happened ON the run, as soon as I noticed I hit the lap button and it started running forward again. MTA: both times mine happened in a wide open field, but when I hit the mile mark near powerlines. Dunno if it was related or not.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Queen of 3rd Place

My 305 has done that exactly twice in 3 years, and once it told me my 10 mi run was a tad over 17, which was sort of fun. Arla

Ex runner

Imminent Catastrophe

were you running backwards? Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Yeah - my Garmin did this a couple imes on an out-and-back. I updated the software and I haven't noticed it since - and that was last winter.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

were you running backwards? Big grin
                  *80's flashback to Ferris Bueller's Day off*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

*80's flashback to Ferris Bueller's Day off*
                    I was thinking off of "Back to the Future". I'll try updating of the firmware. Nothing is more demoralizing than to see my mileage go down as I run fowrad. Thanks guys!
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Maybe that explains why we never hear from her anymore -- she went through a temporal rift.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

When your garmin spins backwards, does the display read "turn me on, dead man"?

Menace to Sobriety

Did you wind it backwards? Are the batteries in the right way? Big grin Seriously though: Were you running in woods, around tall buildings, etc? Making alot of turns? I have a 201 that will occasionally "lose" distance, but not steadily so. Sometimes I'll look and be at 3.00 and look a few minutes later and it'll be 2.94. It usually is when I've made a fairly sharp turn or even a 180. I also noticed this when under heavy foliage or around tall buildings. I think sometimes it loses a good lock on the satillites then extrapolates the distance wrong when it picks them back up after a turn. I've been using GPS units for close to 15 years on my boats, and they're a great tool. They're alot more accurate and speedier to lock on these days as well, but they are not partcularly accurate over relatively short distances when making alot of turns or sharp curves.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Wormhole? Big grin

Vim

kcam

Yeah - my Garmin did this a couple imes on an out-and-back. I updated the software and I haven't noticed it since - and that was last winter.
                              Hey, maybe this is a new 'feature' on out-and-back courses!
                              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hey, maybe this is a new 'feature' on out-and-back courses!
                                In my loopy long run state, I thought that the Garmin was measuring (the physics definition of) work, that the distance would go down to zero as I get back to the start point of my run. Reception wasn't the problem since I was on a bridge when the problem started.