Chest pain + feeling faint when running (Read 383 times)

obiebyke

Sounds scary, Oski! Was it the same dizzy you get when you run? At least they have a lead now, right?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hip Redux

Sounds scary, Oski! Was it the same dizzy you get when you run? At least they have a lead now, right?

It was similar - but different.  I didn't get that clammy feeling and I don't usually hyperventilate either when out on a run.  But I was certainly dizzy and lightheaded!

Hip Redux

So... an update.  I finally had one full month without an episode.   Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec - all had at least one, most of the time two, near syncope events while running.     I've been on thyroid meds now for about two months and I'm thinking that my hormone levels are getting to where they need to be and hence the first month symptom free.   At least, that's the working theory.   Cardiologist labeled it as a vasovagal response or neurocardiogenic syncope, and it appears to be that.

The chest pain appears to have been from dehydration/too much coffee.  Totally went away once I increased my water and stopped with all caffeine (painful process, but 100% caffeine free now).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oski, good to hear that you seem to have this properly diagnosed and treated!  Thanks for the update.

SillyC

Great news, Oski!

Will run for scenery.

Hey, Ö.

Somehow I missed this whole episode.  Glad things are okay.  Very, very sorry about the caffeine !

My very first steps towards fitness landed me in the ER.  After walking about 1/2 mile I got a weird pain in my chest.  Pushing 50, no exercise in 25 years, 40+ lbs overweight, it seemed like something to take seriously.  So after googling for about 6 hours I packed my things and drove not to the hospital across the street, but to the farther one (without the creepy huge Jesus statue...)

Every test came back negative.  Cardio doc gave me nuclear stress test and said my heart looked perfect in every way.

I think what I had was a mild form of chondrocostial (?) pain. Nothing hard-core like previous folks mentioned.  Just loose and floppy ribs from laying bed (where I read) too much and not exercising.

It's always best to take chest pain seriously, but good to keep in mind that there are several non-heart related causes as well.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

It's always best to take chest pain seriously, but good to keep in mind that there are several non-heart related causes as well.

All chest pain is cardiac until proven otherwise.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hip Redux

I had an episode just about right after I posted the last update.     I started seeing stars and my vision got blurry, but after sitting for 5 minutes, I was able to get up and finish the 8 miles.   But all my runs after that have been fine.

Interesting that this is actually not totally rare.   Several folks have PMed me and I was invited to a Vasovagal Syncope group on FB.   Thankfully, my situation is a lot tamer than what some folks deal with, but still annoying.

Will run for scenery.

A vasovagal syncope group ?  That sounds so hot

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

HappyFeat

A vasovagal syncope group ?  That sounds so hot

????

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.