Avoiding dairy & life is better! (Read 530 times)

uncontrollable

Just some lactose intolerance, nothing severe, but figured I could do without most dairy ... I love cheese so it has been challenging!  I literally feel like I have a brand new GI system ... so good ... amazing.  Never liked the cheese on pizza anyway!  I do miss sharp cheddar, fresh mozz, parm, & swiss.  Why do I love cheese so much?!  I still put goat on my salads - doesn't seem to cause me problems like the others.

peace

Princess Cancer Pants

I am SO thankful that my own lactose issues seem limited only to larger quantities of uncultured dairy.  It works as portion control with ice cream and I'm not a milk drinker (I only realized I had issues when I was first doing runs of over maybe 10 miles and making Carnation Instant Breakfast after runs.  At first I thought it was the duration of the runs that were giving me gastric hell, but then I got suspicious and tried Lactaid milk--BINGO!).  I still seem to be able to eat cheese and yogurt without issue.  Good thing, since I was born and raised in WI...you can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold, dead hand! Wink

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Old, Slow, Happy

It seems I have lactose issues similar to you.  I do not drink milk.  I do eat cheese and use kefir every morning for breakfast.  One thing I noticed is that I can drink unpasteurized milk.  I usually buy my milk from the farm, but it's getting tougher to do in Ohio.  I understand that the pasteurization process kills some microbes that can help digestion.   I thnking about getting my own cow.

I can go dairy free , no problem, other than finding the "hidden" stuff. 

The only thing that I can't live without is yogurt.  And the soy versions are terrible.  I have to eat it every day.   It's a female thing.  But, I eat the plain kind.  I always have.   It's a Lebanese thing.   We put that sh*t on everything ;-)

- Anya