Repeated injuries - thinking of getting Vibrams/minimalist shoes (Read 277 times)

Latent Runner

That's the technique conundrum, landing inline is what's easiest in terms of surface interaction, but difficult to do physically.

The masking tape exercise teaches how to do it.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

Masking tape exercises..., I call them, "Rut in the trail" exercises.  Smile

Sometimes the "rut" is a deep and relatively well packed wheel track left in the soft dirt by an ATV or dirt bike, sometimes the "rut" is the only relatively smooth route through a jagged mine field of dried mud, typically left behind by the last ATV to go through the muddy patch before it dried, and sometimes the "rut" is well packed snow left behind by one of the skis of a snowmobile.

While we're on the subject of stride efficiency, one of the benefits I've found from running on long stretches of soft dirt is how to glide as effortlessly as possible over dirt which would otherwise engulf my entire shoe.  I call it my Remo Williams stride, this is from the scene where Chiun is watching Remo run down the Coney Island beach and keeps saying, "Lift up your feet!"  It took me a while, but once I got my stride in order, I was able to traverse mile long sections of beach sand soft dirt with very little effort.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I think another important aspect to keep in mind when considering switching to barefoot or minimalist shoes is your bones.  We grow bone easily and rapidly when we are children.  The extent to which we do that depends on the amount of weight bearing exercise we do during that time period.  A sedentary child will not build as much bone as an active child.

Once we reach the age of 20 or so, our ability to grow bone decreases dramatically.  So if you have not built up a good amount of bone by then, there is really only so much you can do from that point on.  It seems like unless you have a swift learning curve on the minimalist shoes, or build up extremely slowly, you may run the risk of stress fractures if you are relatively new to exercise.  Just a theory, I am not in the medical field.

I read the bible of barefoot running and I admit I was swayed by it.  I thought switching might help my lower back pain.  I got the Merrel Pace Glove, and read the instructions carefully.  I started walking with them, as advised, and within a day or so the bruising  on my feet was so severe I had to stop completely.  I'm not heavy, or a stomper, so my only conclusion is that my feet must have very little padding.  Anyway, they did not work for me.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it can't hurt to try them as long as you follow the instructions on building up time and mileage, but definitely pay attention to your body while you do it.

Leah, mother of dogs

CT JEFF

To tell the truth, I was going to suggest to our obstinate one that he use his head instead.  Joking

I have tried very hard to maintain civility towards you in this conversation and not attack you personally. You have an opinion as do I. Both from our past experience. I dont see why my asking for explanations and clarifications of your position while stating mine have caused you to attack me personally.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Latent Runner

I have tried very hard to maintain civility towards you in this conversation and not attack you personally. You have an opinion as do I. Both from our past experience. I dont see why my asking for explanations and clarifications of your position while stating mine have caused you to attack me personally.

Hence the tongue out emoticon; it was a joke.

As for explanations and clarifications, try the hammer test (or substitute anything else you wish, say a baseball bat or even your fist).  Regardless of what you use to strike the hard-packed dirt, the impact and shock felt by your hand and arm will be minimal compared to the impact and shock felt by your hand and arm if you hit concrete just as hard.

Fat old man PRs:

CT JEFF

As sports jester has been stating repeatedly, it isnt just about the surface that you land on, but more importantly how you land on it.

Starting as a minimalist runner, you cannot go as far or as fast. It is something new to train into. Or you will get hurt. What you seem to be missing, is there are natural shock absorbing mechanisms to running that we largely train away from in shoes.

It is more about how you run than what you run in. But what you run in matters as well.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The question of difference is simple; you can leave an imprint on the ground, you can't on concrete.

The earth and your foot have evolved over millions of years in a symbiotic relationship that concrete has erased in mere decades. Thinking that simply running barefoot is the same is pure wishful thinking.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

zonykel

The earth and your foot have evolved over millions of years in a symbiotic relationship...

The earth doesn't need the human foot. That's not a symbiotic relationship.

CT JEFF

The earth doesn't need the human foot. That's not a symbiotic relationship.

actually, parasitic would be more apt.

I like listening to the nay-sayers. You cant make metal float. You cant make wood fly. You cant run on asphalt. ok. You're right. Even when you see that it can be done, stay strong in your belief. Look the other way, close your eyes. Blame witchcraft.

JimR

I like listening to the nay-sayers. You cant make metal float. You cant make wood fly. You cant run on asphalt. ok. You're right. Even when you see that it can be done, stay strong in your belief. Look the other way, close your eyes. Blame witchcraft.

huh?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

While we're on the subject of stride efficiency, one of the benefits I've found from running on long stretches of soft dirt is how to glide as effortlessly as possible over dirt which would otherwise engulf my entire shoe.  I call it my Remo Williams stride, this is from the scene where Chiun is watching Remo run down the Coney Island beach and keeps saying, "Lift up your feet!"  It took me a while, but once I got my stride in order, I was able to traverse mile long sections of beach sand soft dirt with very little effort.

+1 for Remo Williams

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Latent Runner

+1 for Remo Williams

Thanks, Chiun/Joel Grey cracks me up.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

zonykel

actually, parasitic would be more apt.

you sound a lot like SJ.

not sure where the comment comes from. If you want to run barefoot, knock yourself out.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

huh?

Its a sarcastic reply to the idea that our running mechanics used to be based upon how we interacted with the soil underneath us. His comment was an attempt to state there is no difference between the two techniques.

He couldn't be more wrong.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Masking tape exercises..., I call them, "Rut in the trail" exercises.  Smile

I call it running the rut.

For trail racing, the T-Rex adaptation allows the racer to use the concave surface of the trail no different than banked corners on a race track. It allows for much faster switchback directional changes.

I like listening to the nay-sayers. You cant make metal float. You cant make wood fly. You cant run on asphalt. 

huh?

no biggy, someone compared barefoot asphalt running with the mathematical genius of Archimedes and the engineering feats of the Wright Brothers.

there'll be no vacancies available at the Hotel One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest at this rate...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.