Is a 3:30 mile possible? (Read 1326 times)

http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/may/06mile.htm
    For more than half a century the sub-four minute mile defied the world's finest middle-distance runners. Then, after a succession of athletes had threatened a mark once thought impregnable, 25-year-old English medical student Roger Bannister clocked three minutes 59.4 seconds on the evening of May 6 1954. Asked in the same year what he thought the ultimate mark would be, Bannister predicted three minutes 30 seconds. In an interview before Thursday's 50th anniversary of his epic run, Bannister saw no reason to revise his prediction, referring to the present mark of 3:43.13 set by Moroccan Hicham El Guerrouj four years ago. "I think the 3-1/2-minute mile is going to be difficult," Bannister said. "That's what I thought 50 years ago but we've got halfway towards it." [...]
    finney

Resident pinniped

I think it's possible, but it's going to be only ONE very unique person with a mix of the right training, the right genetics, and on exactly the right day that does it.
      vengeancewins

It can eventually be reached. Someone someday will come along with freakish genetics and pure talent and break it.

The Greatest of All Time

Yes, and you can do it Hefty. Oh yes, you can.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Anyone else think technology would play a large role in this?
              In some way, probably. In an indoor mile straightaway, with no shoes on a perfectly tuned track. Or something like that.
              JakeKnight

Yes, and you can do it Hefty. Oh yes, you can.
                I ... I love you, man.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Does this mean you've already cracked 7 then? Personally I think you'd be better of setting more intermediate goals now that 7 has been accomplished. Start with a 6:30 mile, then 6:00 etc.

Runners run

navghtivs

Not without performance enhancement drug.
                      Marcus, Jake, & Mikey don't ...troll around...

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, Jake, & Mikey don't ...troll around...
                        Dude, if you have already knocked out that 7 minute mile, it's all downhill to 3:30. You should be able to do that in time for Beijing I am sure.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          If some new performance enhancing drugs come out that are much, much better than the current ones, then maybe.
                            Too much pollution in Biejing Big grin
                              Troll. stryvynsky: Please do not abuse the site. And yes, I know about your other accounts...

Future running partner.

I think it is definately doable. There is still lots of unkowns in regards to proper training techniques, not to mention so many "best" training techiniques. Science has yet to even come close to determine what's the best training. It will also be someone who is a physiological freak, in combination with specific training that we do not know about yet. Given that sprinters are running sub 10s 100 meters. It could even be possible that centuries from now someone could run a mile in 2:40.