Barefoot/Minimalist Shoe Running Clinic in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Read 1842 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

quacks on a message board (of which I am also a member).

Always wise advice to avoid message board advise (unless you asked for it).

However, you talk of podiatrists as if they all spoke with a single voice.  They do not.  And other experts in the field of foot and bone health (such as orthopedists) have been supportive of barefoot running.  And the actual empiric research done on this topic is bearing out the safety and benefit of barefoot or minimalist shoe running (which, after all, we have been doing since the beginning of huminity until about a few decades ago).  And that which happens in the foot impacts lots of other parts of the body, including the legs, the hips, the back, the neck; none of these areas are in the podiatrist's purview.

Also, how do you know the qualifications or lack thereof of those posting on this message board?

CClay do you think it is possible that shoes do play a protective role for the feet.... however they make you more vulnerable to trouble elsewhere in your body?

Professional Antagonist

Wow, I didn't expect a debate to pop up!  This is the deal- there's some empirical evidence that suggests there could be benefits to barefoot running or minimalist shoe running.  I won't list all of it here, but here's a link (yes, it's my own site.  I'm self-promotional that way.)

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/research.html

There's also a lot of anecdotal evidence on the benefits of barefoot and minimalist shoe running.  This has to be taken with a grain of salt as it is just anecdotal evidence.

Personally, I think this benefit is more a function of form than choice of footwear.  It is nearly impossible to overstride with a heavy heel strike while barefoot or in minimalist shoes.  That probably prevents the repetitive use injuries that have become so commonplace.

As far as capabilities of barefoot and minimalist shoe running, there are runners that have done some extraorinary feats in both conditions, including running on gravel, at night, at a fast pace, and over long distances. I run ultras barefoot (though I ran my 100 mile in Vibrams). There are runners that have put up sub 2:50 marathons and others that accumulate 120+ miles per week.  Barefoot running, once conditioned properly, does not limit running ability.

In regards to podiatrists, not all oppose barefoot running.  It's not a surprise most do, however.  If they go to school to learn "X" information, and all of a sudden "Y" becomes popular, they cannot simply abandon what they learn without VERY conclusive evidence to the contrary.  As of right now, there simply isn't enough information for responsible podiatrists to make wholesale changes to their practice.  Some push that envelope, but their conservative approach is expected.  I think that is a good thing.

The point of the clinic is to teach runners that have an interest..  It's not for everyone.  If you don't have a compelling reason to switch from your traditional running shoes, don't.  The clinic is for runners that do decide to do so.  We take the known best practices for transitioning to minimalist shoes and barefoot and teach those points.  We share information.  We don't make claims that it will be a cure-all or allow you to do extraordinary things.  We are honest about the potential dangers and likely hurdles runners may face.  Our theory is simple- try new things.  If they improve your running experience, keep doing it.  If not, stop doing it.  Smile more, thank race volunteers, and have fun.

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

CClay

Better than all of you

I think that certain kinds of feet need certain kinds of shoes.  If that were not true, someone would have proven it by now.  Elite runners would be running barefoot.  Podiatrists would be telling the world.  A UK Daily Mail link doesn't quite get it done.

jfa

Great thread. I agree that barefoot is not for everyone,especially beginners. And anyone trying it should do so very gradually. But I had an interesting discussion with my SIL's Dad, who has been a chiropractor his whole life. He was going on and on about how thicker shoes are better, running is no good for you, how about those lowcut socks everyone wears and on and on. I listened politely and since it was Christmas and all,  let it go. His best interests is to keep people believing that 3 pairs of custom orthotics and regular "adjustments" is the best way to go.(he himself is a least 60lbs overweight and never exercises) But I have gone (after 21/2 yrs of running) from big Asics and the most cushioned Nike's to running pretty much all the time in Free's.My PF has disappeared along with something that was off in my left hip. I would be trying to run in ff's but it's too cold.I'm therefore looking to buy a pair of Feelmax or Protons as I hear good things about them and can wear them when it's winter.

I think that certain kinds of feet need certain kinds of shoes.  If that were not true, someone would have proven it by now.  Elite runners would be running barefoot.  Podiatrists would be telling the world.  A UK Daily Mail link doesn't quite get it done.

So just curious; there's no informaiton about you (not that I have a lot there myself...); How old are you?  How much do you run?  What shoes do you run in?  Any problem before; any particular reason why you wear those particular shoes, any change since you switched to those, etc.???  And, not that it really matter but since you sort of brought up, what are your times like?  A speedster?  Ultra guy?  Joe the Jogger?  Or just a critic???

I am still waiting for the research that confirms that stability/motion control shoes helps prevent problems.  That type of shoe has been around close to 30 years now.   Where is the research?

jfa

Joe the Jogger? 

hey hey , no need for name calling here!!

TJoseph

I agree with CClay.  I have very flat feet with absolutely no arch.  They have been that way my whole life and I did my share of running around barefoot as a kid.  My Dad and my twin brother both have the same flat feet.  It is possible that years ago before they invented motion control shoes, people with bad feet just couldn't participate in distance running.  My Dad was told by doctors when he was younger that he would never be able to walk more than a couple of miles at a time with his feet.  When I ran in high school, they were just coming out with motion control shoes (Brooks Vantage?) and I ran in those.
                      Arches collapse due to shoes. Think of architecture. When there is an arched doorway and you press up under it it collapses. Our foot is made to rely on our arches. However, the prolonged use of shoes cause atrophy in the muscles of the feet and then the arches fall. By strengthening one's feet the strength in one's arches improves and the arch recovers.

TJoseph

Arches collapse due to shoes. Think of architecture. When there is an arched doorway and you press up under it it collapses. Our foot is made to rely on our arches. However, the prolonged use of shoes cause atrophy in the muscles of the feet and then the arches fall. By strengthening one's feet the strength in one's arches improves and the arch recovers.

Maybe for some people.  I never had any arches to collapse.  I was born that way and they have always been flat.  My Dad is 80 and spent most of his life in shoes that had no support and has also always had no arches. 

hey hey , no need for name calling here!!

Sorry!  I meant; Joe the Flash! ;o)

I agree with CClay.  I have very flat feet with absolutely no arch.  They have been that way my whole life and I did my share of running around barefoot as a kid.  My Dad and my twin brother both have the same flat feet.  It is possible that years ago before they invented motion control shoes, people with bad feet just couldn't participate in distance running.  My Dad was told by doctors when he was younger that he would never be able to walk more than a couple of miles at a time with his feet.  When I ran in high school, they were just coming out with motion control shoes (Brooks Vantage?) and I ran in those.

That reminds me of something...  Anne Audain of New Zealand had deformed feet that had to be corrected surgically.  Docters (professioinals) told her that she'd be lucky if she could walk.  They (or someone) however did give her the best advice--she was told to walk around in minimalist shoes to rehabilitate.  She continued walking--and eventually running--in those minimalist shoes.  She turned out to be an alright runner.  She won Commonwealth Games 3000m gold medal as well as setting the world record for 5000m, I believe, in 1982?

Interestingly, though, one of the best sprinters in Japan, the guy who won the bronze medal in 200m in Paris World Championships, had flat feet.

Maybe for some people.  I never had any arches to collapse.  I was born that way and they have always been flat.  My Dad is 80 and spent most of his life in shoes that had no support and has also always had no arches. 

Actually as far as I know everybody is born flat footed.  Most people develop arches by around the age 8-10.  Now there is a small segment of the population that is flat footed due to a different bone structure and not due to muscles in the feet.   I have no idea what the appropriate advice for such people.

keeponrunning

gotta say, using your eyes to avoid pebbles/sticks while running on trails is nearly impossible.  that's like trying to avoid bees in a honeycomb (not the cereal, just to be clear).  i am seriously considering doing some barefoot training next summer (kinda cold to start at the moment), or at least trying a minimalist shoe.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022