Importance of weekly mileage (Read 1645 times)

In science??  Er, this is not correct.  At all.  Science is not a negotiation.

I think there is a lot more wiggle room when it comes to the human body.

Look at how inconclusive our race-deaths discussion was.  Many theories, each negotiating with facts, working towards a middle ground on what it means to train, compete at the edge, and live tell about it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

I think there is a lot more wiggle room when it comes to the human body.

Look at how inconclusive our race-deaths discussion was.  Many theories, each negotiating with facts, working towards a middle ground on what it means to train, compete at the edge, and live tell about it. 

Theories are only part of the scientific method.  Science deals with data and evidence...it is what it is.   It is ambivalent as to whether it is extreme or middle ground.  There are plenty of extreme theories which science later validated.

I would totally agree that extreme positions tend to be inaccurate but that has nothing to do with science.  I was simply harping on the single statement that "In science there is always a middle ground" because it is inaccurate.  Aside from that, what I read of the article (TL;DR it all) was rather good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Scout7

Get your own thread, nitwits.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Also: I agree that in science there is not always a middle ground...

In a way, I disagree.  The purpose of science is to delve into the grey areas, where all the unanswered questions lie.  Science attempts to gather a preponderance of evidence, but rarely can give you a black or white answer, at least for the bigger, tougher questions.

A Saucy Wench

Get your own thread, nitwits.

I know that curmudgeons hate mushy gooey stuff but there are times I heart Scout.  That is all.

To the OP: When do I get cranky knees?  Not from running too frequently or too much but from running too frequently, too much, too fast.   Or running way too much, too INFREQUENTLY.   

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MrH

Science attempts to gather a preponderance of evidence, but rarely can give you a black or white answer, at least for the bigger, tougher questions.

Big, tough questions like the origin of species and the age or the Earth?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

So mpw is important?

MrH

Many theories, each negotiating with facts, working towards a middle ground on what it means to train, compete at the edge, and live tell about it. 

Le savant doit ordonner ; on fait la science avec des faits comme une maison avec des pierres ; mais une accumulation de faits n'est pas plus une science qu'un tas de pierres n'est une maison.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Whoa, I think I missed a whole page when I posted.  Didn't see the wiggle room in the human body or the nitwits remarks.

MTA: Let alone all that French stuff.

Why is it sideways?

Le savant doit ordonner ; on fait la science avec des faits comme une maison avec des pierres ; mais une accumulation de faits n'est pas plus une science qu'un tas de pierres n'est une maison.

Le savant digne de ce nom, le géomètre surtout, éprouve en face de son œuvre la même impression que l'artiste ; sa jouissance est aussi grande et de même nature.

All I got was "Idiot savant... fact in science...a house...accumulation of facts...science...house."

MrH

Le savant digne de ce nom, le géomètre surtout, éprouve en face de son œuvre la même impression que l'artiste ; sa jouissance est aussi grande et de même nature.

Yeah, but while the scientist may experience the same great pleasure as an artist, only the scientist is objectively correct, as well.  Smile Evil

The process is the goal.

The savant dignifies the name...the mime's impression is like the artist...big natural mime.

#artbydmcbride

So mpw is important?

Some say it is......

Runners run

MrH

All I got was "Idiot savant... fact in science...a house...accumulation of facts...science...house."

It means ... lawyers shouldn't expound on the scientific process any more than scientist should expound on the law.

Not really.

The Wikiquote translation is good: The Scientist must set in order. Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.

The process is the goal.