Sever stomach burn during 5k race (Read 1196 times)

Roger C

Hello all, I have been running consitently for 3 years 20-25 miles per week. Every time I run a 5k race I get a severe stomach burn. Not muscular or cramp but sever burn in the stomach. I used to get this on any run at any pace but found that I could eat a cereal bar 30 minutes before a run and all was good. This does not work for the 5k races. I think my legs are strong enough to run a faster 5k but the stomach causes me to slow. I missed a pr today by 4 seconds. I gave it all I had but was not enough. Anyone had this and have any suggestions. RC
    Len

Damn Yankee

Is the burn similar to heartburn/indigestion? I know a few people that like to chew a couple of tums or rolaids before a race to offset any acid related issues during their run.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not sure what you mean by "stomach burn". Giving it one's all in a 5k, as you describe, often makes folks gurgle and puke.
          What are you eating the day before? I find my stomach feels a lot better when I eat safe foods the day before and the morning of the race. Nothing greasy, spicy, fried, fatty, etc, and no soft drinks. The morning of the race I'll wake up pretty early and some eat toast or something light. Also, I don't drink coffee before races as it tends to make my stomach upset, especially when I drink it without much food in my stomach.
          Roger C

I eat 1 cereal bar half hour before run and about 16 oz. of coffee. Maybe the coffee is causing the acid. I will have to try to eliminate that. Thanks, Roger
            finney

Resident pinniped

It could be nerves too. Lord knows those kill my stomach every time. Try an acid reducer like Pepcid AC or something like that an hour or so before the race and see if it helps. And Trent is right. I puked at the end of my hardest 5k and had intestinal issues for 2 days after. No, it wasn't the flu either, I just way overdid it.
                I sometimes get a sour burn in the pit of my stomach. I just seem to have a lot of acid. It's best for me to take a acid controller, ( like zantac) or rolaids before a run. I NEVER drink coffee before a run, or I'll have to wait 2-3 hours.

- Anya

i've had similar problems in the past with my stomach. after all (well almost all) of my races i would puke because my stomach hurt (it also slowed me during the race). well, last thursday i had a 1600 and it nearly happened again. i nearly threw up. on friday i had a couple more races (3200m and 800m) at around 4 pm and 5 pm. i forgot to bring my lunch that day too, so i hadn't eaten since around 11 am. not once did i feel an even slight amount of stomach pain. i think i will continue to not eat at least 4 hours before i run. it seemed to help me at least.

The Greatest of All Time

My stomach cramps up during 5k's. I hate it.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

uncontrollable

I don't know if we're talking about the same sensation but I would describe it sort of like a burn - when I'm all out near the end (last mile or so) - it is my fine line : about to "burn" out (get it! hee hee) but with little adjustments I can hold the pace until the finish. It's my chest area (stomach/lungs) probably trying to get me to stop! Do you do longer races? If so, does it seem to only happen with 5k? I would worry more if it happened at all distances. For me it definately goes hand & hand with pace/exertion (hills especially).

peace

Go Pre!

16 oz of coffee - bingo
                        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Coffee will definitely contribute. Other than tums/rolaids, another thing that does help is chewing gum. Try a stick or two of mint-lavored Dentyne/Trident size gum as the feeling hits and chew away (just don't swallow it as you drink!). The chewing stimulates saliva production. Saliva has something in it that helps calm your stomach. The mint ingredient also helps calm the stomach. I've used this for years for occasional heartburn relief, and to combat nausea. Michael
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

i've had similar problems in the past with my stomach. after all (well almost all) of my races i would puke because my stomach hurt (it also slowed me during the race). well, last thursday i had a 1600 and it nearly happened again. i nearly threw up.
                            I've always considered hurling and/or dry-heaving a likely consequence from going all out in short races. I had a buddy in high school who was like a stop watch in the 800m -- if he puked after the race, it meant he ran sub-2:00. No puke meant no breaking the 2:00 barrier. Though I don't know if this is what the original poster is referring to.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I get that when I push. Like redlining your car. That means I'm going hard enough. If I hold it for too long, I'm puking. Hopefully it's after I've finished, although I've done it during. Never puked in track, but puked in XC often enough.