Grand Rapids Marathon (Read 1586 times)

corland

Its long - thanks to those who read it through Marathon # 2 - Goal 3:40-3:45 (~ 8:25 to 8:35 pace) Weather: low - 30* (feels like 23); afternoon high 52*; not a cloud in the sky - 10mph headwind parts of the 2nd half Attire: black running shorts, white tech long sleeve, white tech short sleeve, Mizuno Wave Inspire 2, black jersey gloves I woke up 15 minutes before the alarm went off. I slept ok, woke up once about 2am to pee, then back to sleep. I got up and made oatmeal for breakfast. I drank some juice with the oatmeal. I showered and got dressed. It was about 6am and I had not emptied my tank yet. I wanted to leave the house 6:30-6:45 so I decided to whip up a quick cup of coffee to see if that would move things along. It was just the trick, however I was a bit concerned about the diuretic effect. I peed 6 times between the last drink of coffee and the race start. 3 days of hydrating, gone. I've got to find a better solution to this problem. I found a parking ramp about 2 blocks from the start line. I thought that since it was Sunday parking would be free, nope $8 (grrr). I made my way to the starting area. I stretched out for 5 minutes inside the YMCA and then out the door to the start. 8am and we are off! The first mile was crowded, especially when they moved us off from the road onto a 5' wide path. I thought they could have kept us on the road until we moved to the 10' wide park bike path. It was probably a good thing that it was crowded, first mile was good pace - 8:18 Miles 2-6 went well. There were some rolling hills and a nice view of the Grand Rapids skyline as the course turned to give us view over our right shoulders. The only issue I was having was an unsettled stomach. It was churning and I knew a stop was coming. Pace averaged about 8:20/mile (sorry about the details, but I'd like to save marathon reports for future reference) Miles 6-8 went through a nice park with a couple of lake / ponds. It was still foggy and the cool air was starting to feel nice (although my hands never did get comfortable). I increased pace just a bit b/c I knew a stop was coming, about 8:15 average for the 3. Somewhere near the 8th mile I found an open potty and took care of business. It set me back about 1:30-2 mins. When I got out the 3:44 pacer had passed me and was about 30 seconds ahead of me. I knew he was 1-2 mins fast so I wasnt too concerned. I took my time and caught him about the 10 mile mark. Miles 8 and 9 combined were about 18 minutes, mile 10 was 8:10 (ok, thats definitely too fast). We crossed the foot bridge at about 8.5, very nice. At mile 10 I found a friend of mine, Pat. We ran together for miles 10-16. This section is out and back and parallels the Grand River going south, then back north; beautiful fall colors, wilderness, and river views. Pace was good, about 8:25/ mile. By the way, Pat ran Detroit last Sunday in 3:35. He would go on to break 3:40 again today. I think I passed runninlaw near mile 12. She was at 14 (I think) with the 3:14 pacer looking good. At mile 16 I got a bad left side stitch. It slowed me enough that Pat left me. I fought through it and managed to maintain some pace. At 16 the course goes out and around an industrial park for 3 miles, kind of boring out and back. I ran 8:19, 8:22, and 8:36. My heart rate was creeping up. I think I passed rootsrunner near 16, he was near 19 and also looked great. Miles 19-21 were starting to suck. We were back along the river for another out and back, this time going north then back south to the foot bridge. I passed my parents at the 21 mile mark. It was nice to see them, but I was fighting to stay with the 3:44 group, a quick smile and wave was all I could do. 8:49, 8:59, 8:37 (all of the lug nuts are loose and they're about to come off) During the 21st mile we crossed back over the foot bridge heading home. I managed to run all of mile 22 and 23 before the cramping started. 9:08, 9:31 At mile 23 I was struggling. I think I could have kept running, although obviously significantly slower. First my righ calf, then both cramped. I would run until they cramped then walk it out. The last 3.2 were back in the way we came out. 10:29, 9:38, 9:47, 1:46. The city is just ahead, as I hit the 25th mile I can hear some cheering. I posed for all of the fans and cameras as I busted my but down the stretch. My calves were completely knotted. Finishing time 3:48:35 - 18+ min PR! 46 of 109 AG 483 of 1517 overall The last 4-5 cost me the goal. I could blame it on cramping and coffee, but I'd be lying to myself. I left a few miles on the training course. Next year the goal is to run a spring and fall marathon, and a few more miles. To quote today's Race Director.... "and the adventure continues..."
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

8am and we are off! The first mile was crowded, especially when they moved us off from the road onto a 5' wide path. I thought they could have kept us on the road until we moved to the 10' wide park bike path. To quote today's Race Director.... "and the adventure continues..."
      Don puts on a great race, for certain...but I think that path portion before the first aid station really was a mess. It definitely slowed me down by probably a good minute...not a bit deal, but it put a dent in my mojo early in my HM race. I wonder if next yeat they will move the course over to the street...it shouldn't make any difference in the length of the race. Next year no cramping legs! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for sharing your latest marathon experience. Cool Best on eventually qualifying for Boston.

Vim

Think Whirled Peas

Nice job caRUSHING your PR today Cory! Even w/the setback you ran a great race. Excellent report too! You da MAN!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

At mile 23 I was struggling. I think I could have kept running, although obviously significantly slower. First my righ calf, then both cramped. I would run until they cramped then walk it out. The last 3.2 were back in the way we came out. 10:29, 9:38, 9:47, 1:46. The city is just ahead, as I hit the 25th mile I can hear some cheering.
            Almost exactly the same for me, but it hit in mile 22, and it was my quads. I went out too fast and didn't have enough miles training either. My slowest mile thru 21 was 9:19, and I ended up with a 10:19 overall pace. So needless to say, I understand what the zombie shuffle is now, haha. Dead Good job an the huge PR!

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice report! An 18-minute PR--can't complain about that. Get those cramping issues taken care of and you'll do it again! All these GRM reports are making me want to do it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great job breaking the old PR, corland! Nice job! Thanks for the report.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congratulations corland on a great race despite the body not fully cooperating!! Great PR!! Smile
                    Good job staying tough when the going got tough, corland. It must suck not meeting your goal, but sounds like those cramps kept you from meeting it. You'll do better next time though. Probably 3:30. Train harder.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The last 4-5 cost me the goal. I could blame it on cramping and coffee, but I'd be lying to myself. I left a few miles on the training course. Next year the goal is to run a spring and fall marathon, and a few more miles. To quote today's Race Director.... "and the adventure continues..."
                      Cory, you ARE the man! A fantastic showing and a great report. I'm certain your goals for next year are easily within your reach. Here's wishing you the best!!

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

congratulations!!!!
                          Lots of great racing this weekend, an 18 minute PR is phenomenal. Great job!

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Marathonmanleto

Good work--I ran Detroit last weekend and am considering GR for next year. Do you recommend? Is it flat?

Another Passion

Way to go corland! Congrats on the PR dude!

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

corland

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! Today feels pretty good. If I sit too long its kind of hard to get up, but once I'm moving for a minute or two I feel good. I think I'm gonna jump on the treadmill for a few recovery miles tomorrow.
                                Good work--I ran Detroit last weekend and am considering GR for next year. Do you recommend? Is it flat?
                                GR is a great race! If you like the paved bike trails then you'd love it. GR is a good size town (not Detroit), but the run actually has more of a country feel then you might expect. Its flat and fast. There's a lot of cover from any wind that might be present. The only place I noticed any breeze was an open stretch near the end. I plan to be there again next year.