Heart rate traing. (Read 253 times)

Adam Gentile

I picked up the new Garmin 235 which has built in HR monitor.  I have been running for over 20 years, I know about the MAF method but have no desire to be 100% committed running for 6 months slow.   I don't want the HR monitor to go to waste, my question is can you use HR training part time?   Like maybe just my longs runs in the MAF zone?

kilkee

runktrun

The technology isn't perfect and everyone's body responds differently....BUT I think if you download HR data sporadically but look at trends over time relative to the type of run, perceived effort, and performance, you can get some good data from it.  Eg: HR is steadily increasing on easy runs over the course of a few weeks at the same pace would give you reason to look more closely at your training load (overtraining), or taking note of what your max HR is in each workout over time.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

I don't want the HR monitor to go to waste...

Think of it like heated rear seats, or the humidity slider on the fridge “crisper” drawer...the change pouch triangle thingy in your pants pocket..the reheat setting on a toaster. Not so much "going to waste", just a feature you don't use and don't really need.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        kcam

MAF advocates contend that it is not running 'slow'.  It is training appropriately.  If you are the type of runner who runs his daily maintenance runs 'too hard' then an HRM can be useful in getting you to run closer to appropriate effort.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Think of it like heated rear seats, or the humidity slider on the fridge “crisper” drawer...the change pouch triangle thingy in your pants pocket..the reheat setting on a toaster. Not so much "going to waste", just a feature you don't use and don't really need.

Hey, my boss brought a dozen Krispy Kremes yesterday, still warm thanks to his seat warmer. A necessity on a winter day, not a luxury.

Adam Gentile

The technology isn't perfect and everyone's body responds differently....BUT I think if you download HR data sporadically but look at trends over time relative to the type of run, perceived effort, and performance, you can get some good data from it.  Eg: HR is steadily increasing on easy runs over the course of a few weeks at the same pace would give you reason to look more closely at your training load (overtraining), or taking note of what your max HR is in each workout over time.

I agree.

mikeymike

This is one of the better, more sensible posts about HRM training (or anything, really) that we've had on this board in a while. I'm actually not sure how to feel about this.

Runners run

kilkee

runktrun

I didn't mean to make anyone feel uncomfortable...

#artbydmcbride

This is one of the better, more sensible posts about HRM training (or anything, really) that we've had on this board in a while. I'm actually not sure how to feel about this.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't mean to make anyone feel uncomfortable...

You could make up for your gaffe by passing some of those donuts, thank you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kilkee

runktrun

Are you calling me gluttonous?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are you calling me gluttonous?

Will that encourage you to give me more donuts?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kilkee

runktrun

By definition, wouldn't I just keep them all for myself anyway?

You could be an altruistic glutton.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

MAF advocates contend that it is not running 'slow'.  It is training appropriately.  If you are the type of runner who runs his daily maintenance runs 'too hard' then an HRM can be useful in getting you to run closer to appropriate effort.

+1.

4 runs week. 3 at HR. 1 speedwork.Re-read the stickies or the book (maff forum).

PS: After checking your log,Maff training would probably benefit you. Your mileage is low(<18 mpw/ running 3-4 days).Maf training builds aerobic system.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/