I'm sure this has been asked many times but.......... (Read 412 times)

GC100k

Yay!  Are we having the headphones thread?  I love this thread.  It was always on the first page of the RW forum for 15 years, but has kinda faded in the past couple years.  I actually rejoined the RW forum a couple years ago specifically to settle a bet that the headphones thread would be on the first page (it was and I won).

I love how some people who daily run a few feet from two-ton speeding metal death machines go apoplectic about the "dangers" of headphones in the park, how some people take irrational pride in running without headphones (I'm more contemplative that you are), and how others feel the need to apologetically justify their headphone wearing.  I personally know two people who were killed by cars while running (google "jogger hit by car", it's scary how many there are) and two others who dropped dead of heart attacks while running.  None were wearing headphones.  But ya, headphones are deadly.

I run in headphones about half the time, maybe more now.  Usually start with podcasts and then blast music as loud as it can go when I need the energy.  I don't really feel any more or less moral when I run with or without headphones.

NHLA

Basketball coach got run over by a car listening to music.  He lived but it was bad.  Bubba made some t-shirts  just like his jersey with his name and tire tracks and headphones dangling down the back.  It started a fad so there were hundreds of people wearing them.

He moved on to a big school and became famous but never wore headsets again.

nolamama

CQTM

I run with music most of the time, unless it's raining or I forget my ipod. I do a lot of TM running during the week and it helps. If I did more trail running or early morning dark running, I would probably use it less, but I don't. I'm perfectly able to contemplate with or without music...and sometimes I like the distraction of music over my deep inner thoughts.

joescott

I don't really feel any more or less moral when I run with or without headphones.

Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Julia1971

Whoa, there! The grand purpose of running is to feel superior to other people. Including other runners. If we stop judging one another the whole system breaks down.

I don't really feel any more or less moral when I run with or without headphones.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... two-ton speeding metal death machines ... apoplectic ..."dangers"  ... irrational pride

..more or less moral ...

I snipped most of the moralistic diatribe, but it was very entertaining rant, with just the right number of insults thrown in to be entertaining; well done!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

It depends on the weather.  If it is raining I don't use music, I have killed enough MP3 players to know not to risk it any more.

For years I was a purist (snob) and felt that running with music was a crutch for people who didn't really like to run in the first place.  But running with music can be very enjoyable, and it can make a long run pass more quickly.  I listen to music and I can still think about things and get into a near meditative state.

I think it is good to be able to run with or without music.  If you're not able to enjoy a run because your iPod died...well that is kinda sad.

Leah, mother of dogs

JustLikeJF

I'm loving all the replies so far even the uppity one Big grin

I inlined for years and would beeotch at fellow skaters all the time when I saw them with phones because they couldn't hear me coming up on them and what not and they'd always hog the line and not move or compensate.

Look at me now (laughs)

I used to ride crotch rockets when I was a little younger and everybody around me was dropping like flies, I saw 5 people die in a two year period. I attributed it to me always being aware of my surroundings and them not being aware. I always check every direction up to  5 times before I make a move. Even when I'm on a closed course I check just to see if there are other runners who's path I'm going to cross when I'm going around a bend or when forks are merging. I've never felt unsafe with phones yet but that may change, I was checking new courses today and some were real close to roads.

As far as my breathing, yeah, I'm going to have to figure that out. Going to have to hear it sooner or later. I might as well man up and deal with it.

Keep the replies coming (please) I love picking apart everyone's preferences, it helps a lot.

(been thinking about putting my player in a tied baggy to keep it dry)

Whoa, there! The grand purpose of running is to feel superior to other people. Including other runners. If we stop judging one another the whole system breaks down.

Seriously. Let's all try to steer clear of any kind of goodwill. It's really dangerous to the sport.

Julia1971

I used to ride crotch rockets when I was a little younger and everybody around me was dropping like flies, I saw 5 people die in a two year period. I attributed it to me always being aware of my surroundings and them not being aware. I always check every direction up to  5 times before I make a move. Even when I'm on a closed course I check just to see if there are other runners who's path I'm going to cross when I'm going around a bend or when forks are merging. I've never felt unsafe with phones yet but that may change, I was checking new courses today and some were real close to roads.

I can confirm that getting a motorcycle is the best way to get friends and family members to leave you alone about the dangers of running with headphones.  Smile  And, good for learning to constantly scan the environment for things that could harm you.

hectortrojan

Running makes me feel great where I can zone out, be in the moment and just run. Trail running is my favorite. I enjoy music too, but somehow hate to listen to music while running.

an amazing likeness

You ARE just knocking it out of the park (and around the block) lately with your posts on various topics!  We going to have to start a collection of this concentrated goodness.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You ARE just knocking it out of the park (and around the block) lately with your posts on various topics!  We going to have to start a collection of this concentrated goodness.

Smile

steph  

What I am hearing is that running with music is dangerous and running without music is still dangerous, so running in general must be dangerous. I guess I'll start working on the 5k to couch program. Wink

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

JustLikeJF

I guess I'll start working on the 5k to couch program. Wink

Sounds like a plan.

I'm in.