Dead Harriers 5k - Doylestown, PA (Read 1024 times)

It's been a while since I've done an actual race report but tonight I'm excited about my time so I want to report! Thanks to Sagefrog (Suzanne) I found out about a race just down the street from my aunt's house in Doylestown, just 45 minutes from my house. A small 5k race held at a park, one where I had a run a similar course there back in 2003. I was curious to see how well I could do with this course since the one other time I ran it my time was 28:43 and I ended being in pain from going out too fast and not being prepared for the hills. This course was slightly different, but I think the other way was easier. So, Suzanne and I planned to meet at the race. I was looking forward to meeting another RA runner! We tried to get Joe_h to join in the fun but he's recovering from an Red Rover injury (playing with the kids). Next time Joe! Rockenmamof5 and Scout couldn't make it either. I was just about to sign up for the race when I was approached by a woman telling me that it wasn't too late to turn back. I asked her why would I want to do that and she pointed over the to first portion of the race and THE HILL. Then she added, oh, and there's one more big hill and then you come back around to go down the steep hill near the end. I said that I wasn't turning back, and was curious to how I could deal with the hills now. The temp. was okay, about 80, a slight breeze. The turnout was low, they were late on getting the word around for the race so they didn't get the usual number of runners. The high school kids went first, the winner coming in at 17 something. Then it was our turn. Sagefrog and I agreed we were nervous about the hills but were going to attempt a 7 minute first mile and then try to keep from going too much slower for the 2nd and then increase for the third. The first hill was difficult and leveled out at the one mile mark, Sagefrog and I were split up at little at this point. My first mile was 6:48, and I felt good so I kept going. The second hill was a little rough, but after getting "stuck" behind two racers I was a little annoyed so I was fueled by that and managed to get around them. At the 2.1 mark they had a clock, and I think it read 14:50, but I'm not 100% sure. Just after the 2.1 mark was the downhill, at the top of this hill I thought to myself "okay, this will be easy, a quick pace down the hill"...and then I realized that down hill, on a steep hill, is not all that easy. A mix of fear (of doing a face plant) and caution (of getting shin splints), and then of course the use of different muscles in my legs to keep a controlled speed down the hill. At the bottom of the hill I was still feeling great but didn't appreciate the slight incline to get to the final stretch, this was the longest part for me. I was tired and at that point had no real idea of my time. I didn't have a watch. At this time in the race I wasn't sure what to think. I felt okay, but I wasn't sure of my time. Then as I came around the corner for the final stretch I saw the first clock, it read 21:11. I looked ahead and there was the finish line. Okay, that's all I needed to see, I pushed myself and ran hard. I glanced over at the clock as my foot crossed the line and it read 21:36!!! I felt sick to my stomach, but I didn't care...I tore off the strip on my number bib and gave it to the lady. I turned around and saw my 13 y/o running up to me, smiling and saying "you did it mom! you finished under 22 minutes!". He knew it has been my goal for the past 4 or 5 races that I've done. I turned and clapped as I watched Suzanne cross the finish line, her two children and her mother in law were there to congratulate her! We stayed to hear the awards, I like when they announce times with finishers but they didn't do that. I found out the winner of the race did 16 something. The atmosphere of the race was fun, they had music playing all kinds of songs (even a little AC/DC which my 13 y/o loved!). The park has a huge castle playground for the kids to climb on, my kids took full advantage of that since we got there too early and stayed until after 8:00. Not the prettiest award! But considering it's my PR race, I'll take it with pride! It matches the front of the shirt. And this is my first complaint of my new running shoes. I didn't see this until I got home! I guess I had a blood blister. Tongue Sorry, that's kind of gross!

Michelle

You are one fast mama! Congratulations on place 1st for your division! Big grin What's the deal with the sponsor on your shirt... some guy chuckin his guts?

Vim

21 minutes of super awesomeness! Way to go beating your goal and setting a new PR, Michelle! That's a really cool looking playground - my kids would love to play on one like that.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

yeah, Michelle! WTG!!! Congrats on your PR Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

congratulations michelle - thats one fantastic time!!!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's the deal with the sponsor on your shirt... some guy chuckin his guts?
              Ha, I'd like to hear the story behind that, too! Good show, girl! You just keep getting faster and faster! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I knew you could do it.
                  Congrats on a GREAT effort! Talk about a can't-lose proposition, even if you didn't PR you get a race t-shirt with a great logo. I have to admit I had no idea what a harrier is.... Etymology: irregular from hare 1 : any of a breed of hunting dogs resembling a small English foxhound and originally bred for hunting rabbits 2 : a runner on a cross-country team Seeing as the root for the word is hare, does that make it the Dead Pace Bunny 5K?

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice job.
                      Thank you! Now I want to see if I can do that again or if it was just a fluke. Smile I have NO idea of the story behind the man in the D! This was my first race through that association. I'd never seen it before yesterday. The Kid's Castle is great. I've taken my older kids there in the past since it's just 5 minutes from my aunt's house. After the race I went through it a couple of times with my youngest son and it really is fun! There are nets to cross over, and small walls to climb over, lots of slides and some trick paths within the castle. Around the castle there are lots of other things to do, inlcuding areas for younger children.

Michelle

btb1490

You ran that fast on such a hilly course? Wow! Very nice! Congratulations, Michelle! Thanks for the picture too! Nice sock! Was it a blister, or a toenail that needs clipping? So what was harder, the 5k, or climbing around in that playground afterwards? Squatting down and ducking through all those small openings is hard work! Keep up the great running!
                        va

Congrats on a great PR and first place finish in your age group!!!
                            You ran that fast on such a hilly course? Wow! Very nice! Congratulations, Michelle! Thanks for the picture too! Nice sock! Was it a blister, or a toenail that needs clipping? So what was harder, the 5k, or climbing around in that playground afterwards? Squatting down and ducking through all those small openings is hard work! Keep up the great running!
                            I almost didn't post the sock picture but it goes along with the race and my new shoes! It was just a blood blister on the side of my big toe, I had NO idea it was there until I got home and took my shoes off. I looked down and said "oh, look at that...how odd"...my husband walked by and mumbled something about "lovely, just lovely"! *lol* I didn't last too long inside the castle, my back didn't appreciate it! Also, going down a slide in running shoes is very very difficult! A lot of sudden stop and go. Roll eyes

Michelle

Lazy idiot

Awesome job, Michelle! Great write-up and an even better race!

Tick tock

WTG Michelle, I knew you could break 22! You rock!