Sergey Bubka, CalBears, and Joey Chestnut (Read 119 times)

... all guilty of purposely setting tiny PR's so they could continue to break their own records year after year.

Today Joey Chestnut broke his own world record at Coney Island by eating 74 hot dogs in 10min.

Here is his suspiciously orderly progression:

2018   74 dogs

2017   72 dogs

2016   70 dogs

2013   69 dogs

2012   68 dogs

Have you ever backed off a bit, to give yourself room for a future PR?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

... all guilty of purposely setting tiny PR's so they could continue to break their own records year after year.

Today Joey Chestnut broke his own world record at Coney Island by eating 74 hot dogs in 10min.

2018   74 dogs

2017   72 dogs

2016   70 dogs

2013   69 dogs

2012   68 dogs

Never.  Partially because I race watchless, and so I can't calibrate things that finely.  And partly because I"m old enough that my window for PRs is limited - I don't  want to waste any efforts.

Also, I take pride in the absolute value of my PR, not how many times I've PR'd.  I'd rather run an 18:30 PR in the first race followed by an 18:35 than an 18:41 PR in the first and an 18:35 PR in the second.

The calculus may be different for a professional athlete who gets a bonus if they set a world record.  I've heard of sprinters holding back or skipping meets until they have a solid contract so that they don't set records when they are not compensated for doing so.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

On our local radio station this morning, they first reported who won the four-mile road race near us, then announced the winners of the hot dog eating contest.  Sigh.

delicate flower

Legend.  Appreciate the greatness while it is here.

<3

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I don't like hot dogs enough to eat more than 2.

I could do a cake or donut  eating contest

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I think Chestnut needs to be drug tested.  And where's CalBears been???

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think Chestnut needs to be drug tested.  And where's CalBears been???

Calbears is lurking....but he’s planning to poison the England football team if they meet Russia in the semi final of the World Cup. 😳

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

On our local radio station this morning, they first reported who won the four-mile road race near us, then announced the winners of the hot dog eating contest.  Sigh.

Por que no los dos?  By which I mean, our local club does a Hot Dog Mile, analogous to a Beer Mile.  Four quarter-mile laps, one hot dog per lap.  And before you ask, no, I don't do this event!

Calbears is lurking....

I was hoping a little provocation would lure him out of his cave!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Por que no los dos?  By which I mean, our local club does a Hot Dog Mile, analogous to a Beer Mile.  Four quarter-mile laps, one hot dog per lap.  And before you ask, no, I don't do this event!

There are people, perhaps on these pages, dumb enough to try los dos.

2018   74 dogs

2017   72 dogs

2016   70 dogs

2013   69 dogs

2012   68 dogs

So ya think Joey gets to around 70, then says to himself "whoa buddy, slow down," then leisurely savors the last 4, making sure to down 1 extra in case of counting error? And is he actually counting, or like any experienced athlete, is he pacing himself by feel?

Dave

flyrunnr

As a former pole vaulter, I used to follow Sergey back in the 80's.

Calbears, he's a definitely a sandbagger, he probably could have run a 2:45 in Boston if he wasn't worried about the weather or his AirBNB being dropped at the last minute. I wish he would come out of hiding, I could use some of advice... see I'm dating this Russian woman that I can't figure out, not sure if it's because she's Russian or a woman. (scratching head)

Joey Chestnut probably makes more money on side action than in competition, that's what those pool player and poker players do.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

fb-guy

So ya think Joey gets to around 70, then says to himself "whoa buddy, slow down," then leisurely savors the last 4, making sure to down 1 extra in case of counting error? And is he actually counting, or like any experienced athlete, is he pacing himself by feel?

There must be an app for that. Maybe Garmin has something.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would be curious to analyse the footage to see if he ate a 37/37 even split. If he scoffed say 40 hot dogs in the first 5 minutes and only 34 in the second half then I would be inclined to share the OPs suspicions that Joey sets tiny PRs so that he can keep breaking his own records. That wouldn’t be cool.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Seattle prattle

We all know, ultimately we race against ourselves.

And in that vain, i think it's like this: he only goes as far each year as he needs to do to beat his former record (and to win, of course). It is not that he is saving his full potential for some future year, but rather that he goes only as far as he needs to go to keep the dream and legend alive.
                                Why would he go further? Do you honestly think that 76 or 7 or 84 hotdogs has any real and discernable meaning to us? Of course not.

Eating that many frankfurters is hard work and no doubt quite a bit unpleasant. Why eat more than you have to? Well, just to stay on a positive track of improvement and ongoing predominance.

That's my take.

Joey Chestnut is a man with a plan, and that plan spans many years. He's pacing himself over a career that he only has himself with whom to compete. And the best way to do it, is to take the necessary and systematic steps to keep it on a positive, upward progression. By doing so, he increases the likelihood that each subsequent year, he resumes his onslaught against his former accomplishments with all the positive psyche an upward progression can bring.