Skim Milk vs. Almond Milk (Read 336 times)

DaBurger

we're also the only species that drinks Harvey Wallbangers, wears Axe body spray, and takes gross pics of our feet.

what's your point, brah?

too be fair, drinking the Wallbangers is the only one of those 3 that makes any sense, we should probably stop the other 2...

Know thyself.

Ready, go.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I've developed a taste for unsweetened almond "milk."  It does have a creamier texture than skim and it has about a third of the calories.  I prefer it over skim and I never cared for "whole" milk.  I did try organic milk one time and I couldn't tell a difference so I couldn't justify paying the difference.  I've never tried "non-homo" milk but I see my local Sprouts sells it so I will give it a try just to see.

As for all of the discussions about what is "healthier/enviro-friendly/natural/etc", I'll grab a highly processed (but great tasting) beer and watch from the sidelines.

You people have issues 

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Wow. Lots of posts. So little information.

You weren't a wealth of information, either.

MTA: Dammit.  Mikeymike beat me to it.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Village people

You weren't a wealth of information, either.

MTA: Dammit.  Mikeymike beat me to it.

This should be your area of expertise with all the cookies you eat. Which is better for dunking?

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

This should be your area of expertise with all the cookies you eat. Which is better for dunking?

Honestly?  I've only dunked cookies into milk.  I've never tried cookies with almond milk.  I've wanted to try fresh, unprocessed whole milk as Trent discussed but haven't been able to find it locally.

Almond milk is ok for cereal on occasion.  Maybe I'll try some almond milk and report back.  Something about it, though, just seems wrong.

Soy milk is an abomination and should be done away with.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I think hemp milk is better than almond or soy milk.  Eat it with my cereal.  3g protein vit a,d, and omega 3/6 balanced.

So... I drink Almond Milk and Coconut Milk thanks to a blood sucking creature in Tennessee called the Lone Star tick.  At least, that is what they are thinking causes my fun little issue. I'm allergic to things with Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose aka alpha-gal. Milk has it so I avoid it.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/02/red-meat-allergies-likely-result-of-lone-star-tick/

"Lone star tick bites are likely the cause of thousands of cases of severe red meat allergies that are plaguing patients in Southeastern states including Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia and spreading up the Eastern Seaboard along with the deer population..."

mta: If you are trail running in Tennessee during tick season, use tick repellant. Seriously.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

* Unless you don't eat meat

Nice shout out there to Vanderbilt by the way :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So... I drink Almond Milk and Coconut Milk thanks to a blood sucking creature in Tennessee called the Lone Star tick.  At least, that is what they are thinking causes my fun little issue. I'm allergic to things with Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose aka alpha-gal. Milk has it so I avoid it.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/02/red-meat-allergies-likely-result-of-lone-star-tick/

"Lone star tick bites are likely the cause of thousands of cases of severe red meat allergies that are plaguing patients in Southeastern states including Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia and spreading up the Eastern Seaboard along with the deer population..."

mta: If you are trail running in Tennessee during tick season, use tick repellant. Seriously.

Wow, that's a new one to me.  Thanks for the info.  Might your issues abate, given time?

Trent, I did that just for you. ;-) Unfortunately even if you don't eat meat, cross-contamination can be a huge issue if you eat at a restaurant. I really can't order pizzas anywhere anymore unless I ask them not to cut them. Fun! Not.

It is possible it might get better with time. This allergy initially occurred about 8 years ago. I had no idea what my problem was, I just knew I got sick eating red meat (beef). Everything else seemed okay at the time. At the end of last year during fall, I did a trail run in Chattanooga and got all sorts of bites. I figured it was chiggers. I started getting sick again and then figured out pork was the problem. Went to a doc, got a test. Allergy officially diagnosed; although, I knew what it was by that time. I go back this December for more numbers and a food challenge if I want and my number is below 10.  Anyhoo, basically, I have to do everything I can to keep from getting more bites.  So.... if I want to run trails in TN, Virginia, etc.... it needs to be in the winter or early spring basically. It seems the more times you are bitten, the worse it gets.

Trent, find me a cure, would ya?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!