HM training plan (Read 176 times)

Hi

I have been running 2 HMs in May, and my next planned HM is Sep. 1st.

I would like my training to be a bit more structured and I would like to be faster than 2 hours. My PR is 2.12  - however this was a training run only. I have had an injury most March and April, so I have not logged a lot of miles recently.

So I need a program to prepare for my next HM. Most of what I have found start out with long runs of 5-7 miles. As I can easily run 10 miles without, I believe I can start up with more miles than 5-7 miles.

One day the world will be ready for you and wonder how they didn't see.

Maggie & Molly

have you checked out hal higdon's plans.  He has novice to intermediate, etc.  I am guessing you will get better advice than from me but if you are running consistently I would start the plan where you are at.  No need to start running 3 miles, etc with a long run of 5 if you are already consistently running longer.  His intermediate plans focus more on speed/skill where the novice plans focus on getting it done.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Christirei

I would recommend a Running Wizard plan, they are customized to your current fitness level and how many days a week you want to run. You start out with several weeks of aerobic base building, then focus on speed as you get closer to your race date. I had a great race result using the 5K plan and am two weeks into a marathon plan.
        Love the Half

Ryan Hall has what I think is a great HM program although you may need to modify it to suit your level of fitness.

Ryan Hall Half Marathon Plan

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Coastal

You can pick up a few books which have a variety of plans.  The Runners World's Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon is pretty good for beginners.  If you want more advanced books, Brad Hudson (Run Faster) and Dr, Jack Daniels are good reads among others.

Some plans put too much of the weekly mileage into a single weekend long run.  While long runs are important, they are better when supported by enough midweek miles.