pulled calf muscle (Read 106 times)

Jeffmikers

Hey folks!

I'm new to the forums here and am looking for some guidance from all you experts!

I'm not new to running and used to frequent distance running (I ran in the 2009 Houston Marathon).

I tore my ACL and never really enjoyed distance running after I recovered. A few weeks ago I decided to start running again to burn off some of the fat on my spare tire.

I think I pushed myself too far, too fast. 2 weeks into my renewed love of running I was 3.3 miles in to an afternoon run. I was feeling FANTASTIC and felt like I had finally found my stride again. Out of NOWHERE with no traumatic event, I felt a sharp pain in my left calf. I immediately shutdown the run and got a ride home.

I don't know if this is relevant information or not, but I started experiencing pain in the ankle of the same leg. I read that a torn calf muscle will bleed and you can experience bruising at the site of the tear or in the ankle, but I've not had any visible bruising.

I've did the RICE thing like clockwork for the first 5 days. It's feeling better, but I still feel tightness in the calf and it feels "weak".

How long should I stick to the RICE routine?

What's the next step in rehabbing the calf? When should I discontinue RICE and start stretching it?

SMART Approach

Do RICE about a week and then as needed after. Do some easy stretching now if no pain with stretching. Negatives for resistance if no pain. Try to warm up area first with moist heat or a walk. When you can walk pain free and do a calf raise pain free, you can try a short run. Warm up area before your run and just do a mile tester rather than jumping back in for 3-6 miles. I have learn d from past experience coming back too quickly from calf pulls. 7-10 day injuries turn into 4-6 weeks.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

BeeRunB

If you normally stretch your calf muscles, try dropping the practice.  For some people, stretching them is actually the cause of such problems. Some muscles don't need stretching, they just need warming up. Focus on a good warm-up when you return to running, take at least 10-15 minutes to build up to training heart rate or planned pace. Good luck.

Sorry BRAH, next stop for you is the glue factory.

We have an education from the same institution my friend. I think we all have that degree. Don't be another alumni of the Fools School of Too Much, Too Fast, Too Soon.

In January I experienced pretty much the same thing and ran backwards for 2 miles to get home as I could barely even walk forward. No reason, no explanation, just BAM, sharp pain and inability to walk. I took two weeks off and then a very easy week. Then it happened in the other calf but to a lesser degree.

Take it easy and chalk it up as a learning experience. A couple weeks off is better than a couple months off.

I have learned from past experience coming back too quickly from calf pulls. 7-10 day injuries turn into 4-6 weeks.