Need advice on fluids (Read 1362 times)

Dog-Love

I have this system and I am just getting used to it. I used it for an 8 miler and the bottles slid from my back around to the sides and my arm kept hitting them. The belt and bottles themselves don't bug me or flap around but I have to figure out how to keep the bottles from sliding along the belt. I have a bit of a hard time getting the bottles out of the holder but I don't have any leakage problems. I probably won't wear it during my marathon since there are water stations every 2 miles. It is definitely handy for running over 1.25 hrs
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I wonder if the bottles on a Fuel Belt shift around much. I wish I could find some sort of comparative review before I purchase either. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I Got 2 of the 8 oz bottles from Fuel Belt so that I could put them on my Camelbak. I had to remove the seams on the straps (the part that forms the pull tab) to get it out of the buckle, slid the bottle holder on, then re-threaded the buckle. I didn't have too much of a problem with it. If you have a Camelbak, you could also put it on the smaller adjustment straps, closer to the back. Not much option for ti to shift around there. As for other anchoring options........Try duct taping them in place. Seriously. Or you could use a loop of string to tie them down.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I Got 2 of the 8 oz bottles from Fuel Belt so that I could put them on my Camelbak. I had to remove the seams on the straps (the part that forms the pull tab) to get it out of the buckle, slid the bottle holder on, then re-threaded the buckle. I didn't have too much of a problem with it. If you have a Camelbak, you could also put it on the smaller adjustment straps, closer to the back. Not much option for ti to shift around there. As for other anchoring options........Try duct taping them in place. Seriously. Or you could use a loop of string to tie them down.
          Hmmm...that's an idea, too. Though I think I want to get away from the Camelbak for Summer. As often as I would be using it and having to wash the bladder I think the bottle-style belt will work better. I can just throw the bottles in the dishwasher, which is nice. k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Anybody else have any input on the Amphipod system? I have read that the fuel belt bottles sometimes have leakage issues. I also like that the Amphipod bottles can be attached upright or sideways and one can use 8 or 10.5oz bottles.
            I have a 4-bottle Nathan water belt. I know that their bottle don't leak, but I do have to be careful when closing the pull-top. I have to make sure they are pushed in all the way. Having said that, I actually contemplating getting the Amphipod as I like the ability to be able to add more bottles if I wanted.

Derek

Scout7

Cheap and easy cleaning method for the bladder is using denture tablets. The kind you drop into a glass of water. They are made of the same stuff as the Camelbak tabs, and are a fraction of the cost. But I know what you mean. Personally, I don't wash it out every time, I empty it and leave it open to dry on its own, and wash it once a week. But I only ever put water in the bladder. I think you could still use tape or even safety pins to hold the bottles in place.

Imminent Catastrophe

I just started using the Amphipod Full-Tilt Trail Lite with a 20-oz. bottle pack: The bottle conforms to the shape of your back and isn't bouncy. Plus this thing has a bunch of pockets and a bungee to carry more stuff if you need to.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just started using the Amphipod Full-Tilt Trail Lite with a 20-oz. bottle pack: The bottle conforms to the shape of your back and isn't bouncy. Plus this thing has a bunch of pockets and a bungee to carry more stuff if you need to.
                  That's interesting...do you know if a person could add 1 or 2 of the bottles that go on the belt to that? I really like that idea. 20oz bottle + 2 of the 10.5 oz ones would be plenty of water and easy to refill when I am near public drinking fountains. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This one looks kind of interesting, too: It has 2 20oz bottles.

~ Sarah Kay

I also have this. I use it occasionally, but I also have a bottle that I carry in my hand on a lot of my runs, and so the bag gets left at home. On really hot days or long runs, I carry the bottle in my hand and wear the Amphipod bottle and just sort of refill as needed. I am planning on getting to the running store and checking out something with small bottles and a bigger carrying pouch. Or perhaps just a pouch to clip onto the current pack I have.
                      psycrunner

K-- I'm one of those people who gets very thirsty, even on relatively short runs of 5 miles, so I always carry water or sports drink with me. I have a 6 bottle Fuel Belt that I use on most runs of 1.5 - 2 hours, adjusting the number of bottles, depending on the length of the run. I will say, the bottles can leak at times and I find that VERY annoying, especially when I'm carrying sticky sports drink and not just water. The other problem is that for very long runs, there's only a little tiny pocket on the belt, barely big enough for my spare key and a packet of sports beans. When I was training for the half and wanted to carry orange slices, I had to add an additional pouch onto the belt, which worked okay (I even used it during the HM), but was a little bouncy. I also have a large camelbak, but I rarely use it, typically only on runs stretching from 3-4 hours (back in the days when I did those!). Good luck deciding what to get!
                        Carol
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I'm a very thirsty girl and I don't know too many people who sweat more than I do (I hear this is a sign of an efficient cooling system...I just think it's a PITA. I can't wear sunscreen since the "sweatproof" ones are a joke on my skin)--I think the first time Eryn ran with me on a hot day she was shocked to see how soaked I get...then I get that lovely salt crust, too...ick. Wink I'm really starting to lean towards that Amphipod with the 2 20oz. bottles. I already have a 20oz Nathan bottle with a hand-strap, so it would be silly to buy a waist pack with the same size bottle. I do enough runs where I am miles away from water, so having 40oz. along is a good idea, especially since I hope to continue doing 10-11 mile runs for my long runs each week all Summer long. That will take me ~2 hours at my current pace. k

~ Sarah Kay

mbk

I have both the Camelbak FlashFlo (45 oz.) like Zoom (I think that's what she has), and the Nathan 2V. I love them both. In my mind there is only one major difference: will I have to refill my fluids during training/racing? Since I do many long distances I always have to refill my fluids during training and events, and I find that refilling the Camelbak is a bit of a pain. I have to totally remove the pack, unscrew the lid and fill it (and since the bladder is in the pack it won't completely refill) then reverse the process to put it back on. With the Nathan I can easily refill the bottles very quickly. Also, I didn't like the two pouches on the sides of the Nathan, but they attach with Velcro and I removed one and attached it to the back (and threw the other one in the closet); I keep toilet paper, ID/Insurance Card and extra gel back there. I have a small Amphipod pouch I use on front to hold gel, electrolytes and advil. I love the Camelbak and it is my preferred pack if I don't have to refill (I've had the same pack for four years and have used it in all kinds of conditions with great success). But if you plan to refill I suggest a bottle pack.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love the Camelbak and it is my preferred pack if I don't have to refill (I've had the same pack for four years and have used it in all kinds of conditions with great success). But if you plan to refill I suggest a bottle pack.
                              Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. The Flash-Flo is a major PITA to refill. Eryn has an older version of the same pack and hers is MUCH easier to refill and the storage space is better designed, too. Camelbak messed-up when they did the 2006 model. And the 2007 is identical, just in different colors. That 20-20 Amphipod unit is looking more and more attractive as I think about it. I found one place that has it for $40, too and $5 shipping. Regular retail is $50. I like that webbing for holding things, too. I could always stash a spare hanky there when I'm really doing heavy sweating. I always run with a cotton hanky for wiping my face, but during the Summer I have a feeling that I will soak one within an hour. k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

That's interesting...do you know if a person could add 1 or 2 of the bottles that go on the belt to that? I really like that idea. 20oz bottle + 2 of the 10.5 oz ones would be plenty of water and easy to refill when I am near public drinking fountains. k
                                Yes, they have a whole bunch of "add-on" bottles that will attach to any kind of strap. http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016