Need advice on fluids (Read 1362 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm really starting to lean towards that Amphipod with the 2 20oz. bottles... k
    If you get that let us know how you like it and how comfortable/bouncy it is. I'll need the extra 20 oz. of water soon as it gets hotter here in Georgia.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just ordered it. Figured it would be nice for doing little runs with my son this Summer, too. That way I can carry a bottle for him and one for me. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I've tried the camelback and hated the thing. Mine always leaked and was hard to clean. I have been using the fuel belt but find when you get to the bottom that it is hard to get the liquids out of the thing and if you fill it too much then it leaks out a little. However, with that said I really like it. I think like everyone else though you look to improve everything. I have been thinking of doing the larger bottles as well. What website did you order it from Kirsten? I think I might order the same thing. My only worry is carrying around extra weight or if I just want to have one bottle if the weight will be uneven.
          2011 Goals:
          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here you go. They have it for $10 cheaper than everyone else. You know, the very first Camelbak I had was leaky. It was one of the 28oz. ones. I returned it and exchanged it for the 45oz model, since I decided that 28oz wasn't enough, anyhow. The cap design was also different on the two models. The smaller model had no silicone gasket. My Flashflo one doesn't leak at all. k

~ Sarah Kay

Here you go. They have it for $10 cheaper than everyone else. You know, the very first Camelbak I had was leaky. It was one of the 28oz. ones. I returned it and exchanged it for the 45oz model, since I decided that 28oz wasn't enough, anyhow. The cap design was also different on the two models. The smaller model had no silicone gasket. My Flashflo one doesn't leak at all. k
            Thanks for the research update, Zoomy! I bought the 45oz Camelbak a month ago or so, based on some of your previous postings. Please update us on how you like the new system. I still like the Camelbak and agree on the comments about it being a pain to refill. It is, however, very comfy, and I like being able to stick a snack and my phone in there for the long runs. Right now, I have to plan my longer runs so that I hit a convenience store midway through so I can refill. As summer approaches and it gets hotter down here in Hell Texas, I'd like some better options for drinking on the run.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, the Camelbak is definitely perfect for runs if you don't have to refill--I especially like it during the cooler months when I do my long runs. But for a race or warmer weather I'm finding that I want to be able to choose between water or Gatorade AND be able to refill mid-run. Definitely can't do that very easily with the Camelbak. Between that, my new Amphipod belt and my hand-held bottle I think I will be covered for pretty much any condition. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I have this system and I am just getting used to it. I used it for an 8 miler and the bottles slid from my back around to the sides and my arm kept hitting them. The belt and bottles themselves don't bug me or flap around but I have to figure out how to keep the bottles from sliding along the belt. I have a bit of a hard time getting the bottles out of the holder but I don't have any leakage problems. I probably won't wear it during my marathon since there are water stations every 2 miles. It is definately handy for running over 1.25 hrs
                Sherry, I just ordered one of these. I sorta hesitated because I didn't want to deal with the bottles sliding, but after "shopping around" and reading reviews, etc., I decided to try this anyway. I was picturing using the tape or string as suggested earlier to help stop the slide, but what about putting a couple safety pins on both sides of each bottle so it couldn't go anywhere? I don't have one yet, but thought maybe if I experienced the same problem, that might work and also wouldn't be on the inside of the belt, potentially irritating my skin. Just a thought...considering I don't have one infront of me.... Smile
                  You know, I have a $25 coupon to my running store that I was going to put towards a fuel belt or something similar, but reading all these reviews, maybe I should stick to my bigger bottles! I do need to find something that I can carry stuff in when I run though. Kirsten, I'm intrigued to hear what you think of the dual bottle belt. It seems to have good storage space, which is something that's not so great about my current system.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll definitely post a review once I have it. I can't wait to see how it compares to my Camelbak. At the very least it will be easier to clean and use. The hose on the Camelbak is as convenient as it is inconvienent, KWIM...? k

~ Sarah Kay

jcasetnl

If it's really a hot day (we get few truly hot days in the CA Bay Area), then either: a) I'll do a fartlek type workout so that I'm never far from the water. b) I'll run a course that passes a water fountain c) I'll run a course that passes by my car/parking lot (like a figure 8 or out > back > out > back). I do this because when I run I HATE to have anything extra strapped to me, shifting around, snagging, etc. Even on a 60 degree day, I usually have my shirt off before long and I'm looking for a place in the bushes to stash it so I can come back and get it later. All this said, I tend to run shorter distances, around 3 - 7 miles. I don't really go for sports drinks all that much, but the simple gatorade formula still holds true for post-workout recovery (easily digested carbs + salts). I personally can't drink a sports drink during exercise. For shorter workouts, salt loss is less of a concern and even half a can of coke will work for carb/glycogen depletion. I also usually have a protein shake when my pulse is completely back to normal - like 30 minutes after working out. EAS 100% Whey is my favorite.
                      Yesterday I made the rather stupid decision to run in the midday sun on my long run. I left at 11:06 and by the time I was half way through my 10km run my mouth was so dry I would have killed for water. Rather than commit such a major crime I accosted a man in his garden and begged unashamedly. That glass of iced water was the highlight of my year! I realise that as we get further into summer and my runs are getting longer, I am going to need to rehydrate during my runs. What's the best way of doing this? (Noe to JK: I am not drinking alcohol at present so no solution to be found there) I have two questions... 1.) Am I better off drinking water or sports drinks? 2.) How do I carry my drink? On a side note, despite the searing heat, sunburn, dehydration and a four minute stop at the 'water man's' house - I managed to run 10.82km in 1hr 5min at a 9:41 pace. I am pleased with that because that time includes the stop. If I take out the stop time I managed to do it at a 9:05 pace. I think if I push myself I can get my pace down to sub 9:00 soon. This run was held at the same time of day that my first race is going to be only it will be much hotter and the hills will be much steeper. Yikes! Claire xxx (Modified for rubbish spelling)
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This one looks kind of interesting, too: It has 2 20oz bottles.
                        Ok, got it and I REALLY like the fit, the padding along the back feels a lot like our memory foam mattress topper...almost has a smooshy gel feel to it, the storage compartments are HUGE--like you could carry a small toddler...BUT my arms whack the bottles. I tried it on and just trotted back-and-forth in the house and my arms hit them. Tried putting it lower on my waist and still had issues. I think I'm just too small around and short (and I have a smallish waist, so it probably curves more around my sides than it would on a larger person). I'd bet a taller guy would have no issues. Anyone want it? I'll gladly sell it to an RA member for what I paid--I'll throw in the shipping, too. Otherwise I just have to pay to return it, anyhow. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thought I would post my e-mail if anyone is interested and doesn't want to post publicly. You can contact me at harumph@gmail.com. I paid $40, but it normally retails for $50. k

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I checked one of those out at the store and didn't care for the bottles. I purchased a nathans Elite one and LOVE IT. I also have a fuel belt and like that one as well. The major difference is that I love the Elite one bottle. Doesn't leak, easy to get fluids and it has this thing on the top that you can use to clip to your belt (I have no idea why you would want to do this though) but it makes it easy to get it in and out from your back. I wish I had the two bottle version as well. I think I may just buy an extra bottle and loop around to get it in the middle of my run. I hate doing that though because then it is just too tempting to stop. I also like that I can throw my nano in it and don't have to have anything on my arm. Well worth the money.
                              2011 Goals:
                              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Runners' World recently published some reviews of hydration accessories. Like most RW reviews, they're not particularly critical (from what I remember, that magazine has published "nice" reviews so as not to upset their advertisers). Nevertheless, a source of information.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Runners' World recently published some reviews of hydration accessories. Like most RW reviews, they're not particularly critical (from what I remember, that magazine has published "nice" reviews so as not to upset their advertisers). Nevertheless, a source of information.
                                Yeah, they like the 28oz Camelbak and claim that one could stay hydrated for hours with that...hardly. My 45oz Camelbak isn't even enough for anything more than an hour or two if it's much above 70...I know from experience. The 28oz. one wouldn't be practical for me except during the cold months. I usually put about 24oz in mine during the early Spring for a 2 hour run. k

~ Sarah Kay