Runner vs Dog (Read 1202 times)

Yes. 

mta: civilization has created a barrier (more or less), between itself and the wild. But for some reason we have welcomed dogs in.  They are wild animals, some of which have been trained, so as to be less likely to attack humans.  Of course, you never know. 

I was going to respond to this, but I think others have already said what I was going to say (i.e., domesticated dogs haven't been "wild" for several thousand years).  I don't think they can be considered any more dangerous or "wild" than other humans at this point, apart from crapping on the lawn.  In fact, I'd say dogs' behavior is probably more predictable than humans'.

MTA - I guess that's a response after all.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

forget wrestling with a dog to project alpha male dominance...instead, shoot dog with handgun, much better application of alpha male dominance with less risk of personal injury. 

I don't run with a gun.  I don't have any space to carry a gun, what with all the stuff I already carry: iPod, garmin, water bottle, mace, cadence monitor, altimeter, change of clothes, gu, gu chomps, sports beans, car keys, cell phone, pace band, head lamp, yaktrax, change of socks and pair of Vibrams.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Don't tell me you've been forgetting to carry PB&J and a bottle of coke? Your training is doomed.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The shirtless wonder

No TP Trent?  What a newb.

Didn't Spaniel knock over a dog with an orange last time this topic came up?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

C-R

I don't run with a gun.  I don't have any space to carry a gun, what with all the stuff I already carry: iPod, garmin, water bottle, mace, cadence monitor, altimeter, change of clothes, gu, gu chomps, sports beans, car keys, cell phone, pace band, head lamp, yaktrax, change of socks and pair of Vibrams.

You wear socks with your vibrams? That's just wierd man. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Menace to Sobriety

What if we are forced into the unconstitutional Socialized healthcare; then how long can the moose last?

Until the Death Panels convene.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

I was going to respond to this, but I think others have already said what I was going to say (i.e., domesticated dogs haven't been "wild" for several thousand years).  I don't think they can be considered any more dangerous or "wild" than other humans at this point, apart from crapping on the lawn.  In fact, I'd say dogs' behavior is probably more predictable than humans'.

Here in Seattle... and I assume many other urban areas... one has to be watchful for "homeless (and/or not quite sane) people poo on the sidewalk".

xhristopher

Since I am a jerk if it were a cat I probably would not have been so nice.

I hear cats attacking joggers is becoming a real problem. Well, I guess, if the cat looks something like this I'd want something more powerful than a .22.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here in Seattle... and I assume many other urban areas... one has to be watchful for "homeless (and/or not quite sane) people poo on the sidewalk".

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I hear cats attacking joggers is becoming a real problem. Well, I guess, if the cat looks something like this I'd want something more powerful than a .22.

And, of course a prayer that I can shoot it straight. 

Seriously though, I don't even own a gun.  So how would one deal with say, coyotes or mountain lions on the trails? 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
                        xor

Well, if you are the governor of Texas, you do indeed pack heat.

Rick Perry shoots a wily coyote during a jog and leaves it as road kill.

xhristopher

So how would one deal with say, coyotes or mountain lions on the trails? 

Just curious. What sort of wildlife have you folks run across. Usually I consider seeing wildlife it a benefit. I enjoy seeing foxes, snapping turtles, and sometimes, when I spot them from a distance, big fat snakes basking in the sun. Of course, there was that time when the turkey was guarding the trail...

The shirtless wonder

Why is there an apple on the cover of the "Everyone Poops" book?  Does fruit poop?

Wild turkeys.  And turtles.  And chipmunks.  And beavers.  And the poisonous snake that looks like it has Hershey kisses lined up along the side. And this morning a deer standing about 5 feet from the trail that I didn't even see until it ran the other way.  But you're the one who mentioned the rise of wildlife out there, and there have been several sighting of coyotes in neighborhoods near the trails I run. 

But I know how to deal with dogs should I come across an unfriendly one, and I've heard about how to deal with brown vs. black bears, although that information isn't terribly useful.  But what about coyotes?  Do they usually run away?  Do you treat them as you would a dog? 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.