319 days since last run (Read 72 times)

juniordo1

Today I finally dusted off my running gear. It has been 3 years since I last raced and 5 years since my last marathon.

Back injuries (not running related), work, and life in general have kept me on the sidelines.

When I started running in my early 40's, my goal was always to run Grandma's Marathon and that what I'm planning to do.

That journey started today.

I  set out to just run as far as  I could go  on a 3 mile loop, and walk home.

I made it three miles without walking a step.

My top seven takeaways from this run were:

1. I could have gone farther

2. I went too far

3. I wasn't winded at all

4. Other than some hip tightness, my legs felt good

5. I will probably hurt tomorrow

6. Tomorrow will be a rest day

7. I can't wait until Thursday!

It's great to be back!

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Congratulations on starting Marathon training! Great that you were able to complete 3 miles. Usually after any long layoff I have to start from square one with like one mile or less slow jogs and build up over several weeks to longer, faster runs. Last October I did my first marathon in 13 years, maybe not as fast as I hoped, but a 4 1/2 hour time is within my typical finishing range. By the way, I just turned 67.  I am signed up again to run the same marathon this year and plan next year to try to Boston Qualify. My advice is to train consistently with a gradual increase of millage.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

juniordo1

I thought i was going to have to start from square one too. I had no expectations going into yesterdays's run.

I was only mildly sore today. I did some active recovery and walked briskly behind the lawn mower for 45 minutes today.

I'll turn 50 this year and look forward to setting some new PR's at the half and full marathon distances. Grandma's has always been my dream race and that's why I ran two other marathons first. I needed a a good understanding of what I would face and how to train to make it a memorable experience.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon