Need a little advice, or simpathy or something...... (Read 926 times)

Member Since 2008

I will be starting the night shift at work on a regular basis in a couple of weeks and know by experience that when I work that shift (10pm-6am), no matter how long I sleep in the daytime, I feel like crap all of the time and my runs really suck... Is there anyone out there who can give me inspiration, wisdom or anything to get me motivated.. Your time is greatly appreciated.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

HTFU...? Seriously, though...I worked nights at a newspaper many moons ago and it was awful. My baby sister likes working nights, but I think some people simply cannot adapt to that kind of schedule--I'm one of them, apparently. Hope you find that it's not as rough on you as it has been in the past.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

I will be starting the night shift at work on a regular basis in a couple of weeks and know by experience that when I work that shift (10pm-6am), no matter how long I sleep in the daytime, I feel like crap all of the time and my runs really suck... Is there anyone out there who can give me inspiration, wisdom or anything to get me motivated.. Your time is greatly appreciated.
        IMO - Nights just suck. Good luck with that but you'll adjust. Takes time. I used to work 12 hour nights (the beauty of being low seniority) and I would get my runs right after work. This was prior to kids so DW and I crossed paths as she was off to work. It would help me sleep better after a good workout. I didn't run for races so can't talk about how it was affecting me there but it was nice to get any miles under the belt.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Menace to Sobriety

Been there, done that, but 12 hour shifts, rotating. At least you're staying on the same shift. Some people never do adjust, but most just think they can't. Do your work outs as soon as you get home in the morning. Don't sit down, watch TV for a while,etc. That's what worked for me. I got home, changed and hit the door. It'll take a while, and you will feel like crap for a while, but you'll probably adapt. You'll defintely sllep better when you do get to bed. Hopefully when you do sleep, others in your house will respect that. That seemed to be the biggest problem for some of my co-workers. They'd get to sleep for a few hours then the spouse, kids, etc would come home and mess it all up. I also found that staying up for a while in the morning, then sleeping later in the evening, as close as possible to when I had to leave for work, made for a better night. Much better than hitting the rack at 8:00 AM and getting up at 2 PM to go to work at 8 PM. Hopefully you'll find a system that works for you.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Chris UK

Definitely a case of experimenting as everyone is different - in fact I take the opposite view to Craig. I have worked shifts for over 10 years and am currently rotating 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. I must be a strange animal though as I much prefer to work nights. Having said that although my job is not manual, there is no way I could run after a night shift - it's straight to bed for me. I find after working nights I can usually manage 5 - 6 hours sleep (depending on neighbours etc!!). I then have a drink and a light bite (usually a banana etc.) and then within the hour I am out running. Although 5 - 6 hours sleep seems a bit light I can't say I notice any difference in my training performances. I do only work 3 shifts back-to-back though so I can catch up with my sleep on the other shifts. I love the freedom to run in the daytime particularly during the winter when daylight is at a premium. You will need to embrace this freedom as a positive aspect as I know many people cannot come to terms with shift work. Also don't fight the sleep - if you are laid in bed and you really cannot get back to sleep then get up and carry on with your day. You could always then have a nap before you go to work - although again I know that would not work for me. Hope this helps.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

redleaf

Just wanted to give my sympathy! That's gotta be rough. Shocked

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Have you tried melatonin? The evidence is not strong, but short term use is safe so it might give you a better sleep so you feel better rested. I tried it for jet lag, and it appeared to work slightly. Worth a try. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-melatonin.html

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Sorry, no advice. Just sympathy and encouragement.(My DH worked the night shift 3 on, 4 off - very hard on the body to get jerked around like that) It will be a rough period of time, but seasons in life change and so will this. Okay.... that bit of encouragement and the mantra "caffeine is my friend". Big grin
                  HOSS1961

I did graveyard for 7.5 years (11-7). I would workout right after work, go home eat and chill for a couple of hours then try to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Anybody that has been on these shifts know that it is different trying to sleep during the day. I needed more sleep! I hated weekends by the way...I couldn't switch back to regular hours for 2 days then go back to "C" shift for 5 days. I would look forward to Sunday afternoons when I would take a 4-5 hour "nap" before going back to work.
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                    dodger20

oh boy nights really do stink!i did my share spending almost 7 years doing graveyard and during the 9/11 cleanup i was working from 7pm till 11 am the following day everyday! naturally my running suffered then but in my experience when doing regular 8 hour shifts i was home changed out the door and on the road as quick as i could you don't adjust immediately but you will adjust! and it's ok to be inconsistent you do what you can when you can that's how i looked at it and you DEFINITELY have my sympathy!
                        Keep the same wake and sleep schedule daily if at all possible. Put a fan or other form of noise generator in the bedroom. Put a comfortor or other heavy blanket over the windows. Good luck
                          Having said that although my job is not manual, there is no way I could run after a night shift - it's straight to bed for me.
                          When I worked nights this is what I did as well. I never slept well on nights, so I got my run in during the day after sleeping. You will have to experiment and see what works best for you. Good Luck.

Kevin

I feel your pain, but it can honestly be ok eventually. Currently, I work one 7 hr (11p-6a), followed by 3 in a row 12hr shifts. (7p-7a) I was getting very frustrated by my runs during the week until I realized that I just cant do it and expect good results during the 4 days that I work. So now, I ONLY run on ONE day during my work week and all the rest during my time off. It seems to work better for me, especially during my 12 hour shifts when I just dont have a lot of time to "wake up", and get any kind of nutrition before I run. Not to mention coming home and making dinner, showering, getting ready for work and then packing a huge lunch bag for the rest of the night. As for schedules, this is what I do and I NEVER deviate. (thats probably the most important thing) I come home usually around 7a and immediately go to bed until 2 or 230pm. I dont answer my phone, the dogs and I all curl up together and the world just gets put on hold while its sleepy time. After I wake up, I usually have a small snack/breakfast item to hold me until "dinner" time which is at 5p. If I run that day, I absolutely have to be out the door by 330 or I just dont have enough time to complete everything I need to do before work. If the run turns out bad, then I just suck it up and know i have to wait to try again a few days later when I have off. Then I go to work all night and crash out when I get home in the am. Since I have off thursday am thru to sunday pm, I tend to go back to a "day" person "normal" life and switch my sleeping again. So thursday am, I get home and only sleep like 4 hours. that way, i am tired enough towards the end of thursday pm and wind up going to bed with my hubby at his usual bed time. wake up at a normal am hour on friday and voila! I am back to being normal for the next 3 days. before i go back to the job on sunday night, i usually just sleep in until like 10 or 11am on sunday and i find that usually is enough to push me through all day and all night until monday am. Sorry for the long post, but it does help to know what other people do. you need to find something that will work for you, be consistent with it, and especially be consistent with how you eat your meals. Having a burrito for "dinner" at 2 am is not uncommon anymore....as is a stress relieving, end-of-work-day beer at 7am!!! good luck! and welcome to a whole new way of living!!! hahahahaha!!!
                            popcorn

I've worked rotating 12s (both day and night) for the last 3 years and just took a job with rotating 9s. I still haven't figured it out, though. When I was doing 12s, I ran much better while working nights - Home around 7:30, to bed until 2:30-ish, get up, run, then "lunch," take care of whatever needed to be done, and back to work. When I worked days, I couldn't squeeze in a run. Now, I'm really messed up. Most of my shifts are 1-10, 3-12 or 7p-4a. But there are also morning shifts and an overnight. I haven't settled into any semblance of a rhythm, and (don't look at my log! ) my running has suffered in general. (That, and I moved, so my awesome running neighborhood is no more.) I just joined the Y and started (today) running on a treadmill. It's certainly not the same as outside, but under the circumstances, I'll take what I can get. Good luck sorting your schedule out. Danielle
                              Dutchie42

Back in the day when I did shifts, I preferred the night shift 11PM-7AM. I'd work out as soon as I got home. After a shower, did some chores, read the newspaper, had breakfast and lunch and went to bed around 2PM. Woke up around 10PM, showered and went to work where I had "breakfast". Worked perfectly for me. But I had no kids back then.

Dutchie
                                Run the day, or the day runs you.