The changing culture of running 'races'. (Read 759 times)

kk_kittenkat

How competitive should races be? Has anyone else noticed that over the years many events have morphed from being primarily competitive to the majority of the field just having he goal of completion, even if that means walking? Is this good or bad?

RunNow

Yawn.

How competitive should races be? Has anyone else noticed that over the years many events have morphed from being primarily competitive to the majority of the field just having he goal of completion, even if that means walking? Is this good or bad?

I guess that depends on if you view more people getting off their duff and getting a little exercise as a good or bad thing. Or if you view more people giving money to charities as a good or bad thing.    IMO, it's a good thing.

Roses Revenge

It depends on who you are competing with.  And, I'd guess that you don't really have any idea about the goals of the back of the pack. My usual stated goals are to start, finish and have fun.  But, I'm also competing with myself to improve my times and I've had age group podium finishes in more than half the races I've done.  And I mostly walk.  It just takes longer.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Hoban-Jay

I enjoy the fact that our sport can easily accommodate BOTH in the same event.  I can compete (to what my ability and training allows) in the same event as Kara Goucher and Meb, as well as with the run/walker who is simply thrilled to finish.  In what other sport can you do that?  I'd love to play in the same game as Derek Jeter, or Peyton Manning, or Sidney Crosby...but those will always just be a fantasy.  I however, can compete in the same field as the WORLD CLASS athletes of RUNNING....and so can everyone else who gets their butt off the couch and says I CAN DO THIS (and of course trains to do it).  That to me, is one of the amazing aspects of our sport.

As a side note...  Many of those who "just finish" and run/walk, may very well be in the lead pack in a year or two.  Maybe, the inspiration of running in events with "hardcore" runners will inspire them to do even more.  That's what it's all about...pushing ourselves to do more than we've ever thought we could.

Latent Runner

As a side note...  Many of those who "just finish" and run/walk, may very well be in the lead pack in a year or two.  Maybe, the inspiration of running in events with "hardcore" runners will inspire them to do even more.  That's what it's all about...pushing ourselves to do more than we've ever thought we could.

Well said, in May of 2013 I finished a 5K in just under 50:00 minutes; well back in the Men's 50-59 age group.  A year (and 2,500+ miles of training) later, I finished the same 5K in just under 22:00, which placed me 14th in Men's 50-59 out of about 200 in my AG.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Kalsarikännit

KittenKat, ...You harassed the members of this group and they no longer welcome you in their group. Since the group is not private, they banned your user account. You circumvented the restriction by creating over 100 accounts, which is in violation of my terms of use. As I stated in my email, you are no longer welcome on RA. All IP addresses that you connect from will be added to the ban list. This is my last response to you in these forums. eric

This was posted last week for everyone to read. Eric has made repeated attempts to get her off of this site, and in turn, this whack-job has created over 100 accounts. Of course, y'all are free to respond to her questions (obesity thread, etc), by why would you when it is clear that she has caused problems for Eric, who had done so much work to give us this wonderful site?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Latent Runner

Message received; "Stop feeding the Troll."

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                  bap

All races are competitive. in that people want to win. The number non-competitive runners has increased significantly but that doesn't impact the competition up front.

The Healthy Kidney 10K had 8,000 finishers this year. The winner ran 27:30 on a hilly course and won $25K.

Is that competitive enough for you?

6,000 runners ran slower than 50 minutes.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Rockin

It's a good thing the more people in the sport, the more races there will be. Running is like golf in that you are competing against others but mainly competing against the course.

It's a good thing the more people in the sport, the more races there will be. Running is like golf in that you are competing against others but mainly competing against the course.

http://www.golf-information.info/speed-golf.html

Kalsarikännit

Message received; "Stop feeding the Troll."

I don't give a damn about troll/not a troll. Everyone here is a big kid and can stick up for themselves. But, she has fucked with Eric and caused headaches for him.  This is the problem.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

rlopez

What she said.

In the nearly 40 years that I've been involved with running, yes the sport has changed. But there have always been fun runs and joggers, as well as highly competive events and runners. It's a numbers game and RDs are going to appeal to as many as they can. To each their own, but I must admit that I find the more (frequent) is more attitude a little off putting. Quantity over quality. And the whole Penguin attitude makes me want to gag. Fortunately, we can usually pick and choose which events in which to participate, or which running friends with whom to associate in life, or online.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

steph